592 Knobs?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

In another thread, Bad Mister said:

I’m going to have a graphic made up with the MONTAGE front panel showing all 592 Knobs plus one Super Knob, as separate entities… to make the point about how knowing where you are (current front panel status) is so important. So when someone finds this difficult, well, yeah… it’s deep! You have to respect the learning curve, it’s real. But we’ll worth the effort (imho)

Each of the 16 Part has 32 Knobs (the 24 Quick Edit + 8 Assign), the Common level has 32 Knobs (the 24 Quick Edit + 8 Assign), plus the three rows of side-by-side “Multi” Knobs for the 16 Part’s Pan, VarSend, and RevSend.

In my ongoing project of trying to understand the Montage better, I’m very curious about this. I thought that Pan, VarSend, and RevSend were part of the 24 Quick Edit Knobs. What am I missing?

32 Knobs x 17 (16 Parts + Common) = 544 Knobs by my calculation, leaving out the Super Knob. What are the rest of the 592 Knobs?

My questions about this seem to have gotten lost in the depths of that other thread, so I am repeating them here.

Posted : 22/08/2021 9:24 pm
Bad Mister

I thought that Pan, VarSend, and RevSend were part of the 24 Quick Edit Knobs. What am I missing?

The “Quick Edit” parameters are shown on that particular screen.

There are three rows of functions considered “Quick Edit”
[TONE], [EQ/FX], and [ARP/MS]

On the MONTAGE, you have a separate button that is for convenience when mixing…
Press [MULTI]
Repeated pressings toggles the Knobs through three different side-by-side functions. The value of the side-by-side is appreciated in certain situations… if I want to turn down the Reverb Send on six or seven Parts, I could select each one and then go to its Rev Send knob, or hit Multi and have accesses to them immediately.
That’s 24 more Knobs for 1-8, and another 24 for 9-16. That’s your 544 + 48 = 592

Point is, you can store your Performance with any one of these side-by-side “Multi” functions active.
You can store your Performance with any of the three “Quick Edit” row functions active.
You can store your Performance with the Common [ASSIGN] Knobs active.

The only point of this is to impress upon the person on the learning curve ladder, you can’t just say, “I turned Knob 1”
What it is doing at that moment … *depends”. Neither to intimidate, nor boast, I point it out just to make clear, it pays to know where to look to KNOW what you’re looking at… take you time.

Extra Credit
Link — Assignable Knob Views

Posted : 22/08/2021 10:38 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I do think showing all knobs using the language of the instrument would be a helpful communication tool to help illuminate what's available and dispel misconceptions/assumptions about what a knob is expected to do.

To the extent possible, I would relate the knob's functionality/mode to visual indications on the instrument of where to look to know the knobs are in this mode. This is how I constructed the original message and, to some degree, later summaries strayed from this.

BTW: if there's ever a "mode" of the knobs where there is not a unique pattern of visual indicators (outside of the touchscreen -- by LEDs) then I would suggest this could be improved in later generations. I believe most modes have such an indicator.

Posted : 23/08/2021 12:31 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I see that RevSend with the MULTI button is different from Rev Return on the EQ/FX line. Similarly for VarSend and Var Return.

Is the Pan you get with the MULTI button different from the Pan on the EQ/FX line? I just checked, and the same Part parameter seems to be getting set either way.

Posted : 23/08/2021 12:33 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I see that RevSend with the MULTI button is different from Rev Return on the EQ/FX line. Similarly for VarSend and Var Return.

Is the Pan you get with the MULTI button different from the Pan on the EQ/FX line?

I have some difference with your analysis.

The [MULTI] button and [EQ/FX] will show the exact same parameter when you are dealing with a selected Part. The statement above implies that [EQ/FX] "always" means rev return and var return. However, this depends on the mode of Part selection. Common level vs. any particular Part selected.

The [MULTI] button never shows the common area. The 8 knobs are for showing the individual Part settings and never the common (Performance) setting.

Because you only have 1 Performance loaded. Not 8. So the 8 knobs during [MULTI] are for showing each PART's settings all at once.

When you select Part 1, the [EQ/FX] Pan, Reverb, and Variation knobs will show the exact same information as when you select [MULTI] for the associated parameter (Pan, Reverb, or Variation) and look at Knob 1 (which is Part 1).

All of these are the same parameters. The only "different" one is when you press [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) - for example - to select the Common. Meaning no Part is selected. In this case, the [EQ/FX] will show the Performance (Common/Audio) level parameters which are never shown with the [MULTI] knobs.

When you touch the Performance name and choose "edit" you will see the entire Performance can be panned. This is under the "General" tab. This pan is the parameter you are seeing for the PAN knob while [EQ/FX] is selected AND no Part is selected.

Posted : 23/08/2021 12:53 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I see what you mean, Jason. You are absolutely correct. Thanks for the clarification

Because of this forum, I am starting to understand the Montage at a much deeper level. Cool!

From scuba diver to:

Posted : 23/08/2021 3:18 am
Member Admin

If someone can sketch out the knob diagram with names etc, I'm a designer, I can do the rest. You can do it with a piece of graph paper, or an excel spreadsheet or anything you like. Here's a couple of examples so you get a feel for the capability level, that it's real:

2 afternoons in After Effects for the synth reskin UI and an hour in CorelDraw for the chart:

Attached files

Posted : 23/08/2021 4:26 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us