0 Likes
Steve
Topic starter

Hello,

I have a volume problem:
- I have a new Montage
- Using new JBL LSR308 8" powered monitors
- Using new Balanced TRS-to-Balanced XLR cables
- The JBL monitors' volume is turned all the way up, and their "Input Sensitivity" switch is set to +4dBu (which provides the highest output).
- The Montage volume slider is set to its maximum

... and yet, the volume output is very low... so low, you can easily talk over the output. At the dealer where I bought the equipment, we troubleshooted and determined that the monitors and the cables were NOT faulty.

In the Montage Utilities section (Montage Reference Manual page 168) > Settings > Audio I/O > Output: Main L&R, I was able to change the Output Gain to +12dB.

This has provided much louder output from the JBL speakers.

My question: it doesn't seem like I should have to change the Output Gain to the maximum to get "normal" results.
1) Is this the correct thing to do?
2) Am I using the right cables?

Thank you in advance.

Posted : 17/01/2017 4:41 am
Eyal
 Eyal
Eminent Member

I agree.

I also found the output to be a bit on the lower side,
normally I have all my "line" equipment connected to my RME audio interface with "PAD" active. with the Montage I have to deactivate "PAD" to get more volume which is now acceptable for recording.
The Montage replaced the Kronos on my desk, with both on 100% volume the Kronos gave good output with PAD active.

I didn't think of changing the output gain from within the Montage in order to not overdrive the source at the input side.

Posted : 17/01/2017 10:22 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Relative to my studio monitors, the JBL speakers appear to have a lower boost range on the input gain control. On my Yamaha HS series studio monitors, the "12 o'clock" position is +4dB, which is your max and HS-series goes as high as +10dB. I have the speakers set at +4dB (12 o'clock) and the volume is fine to keep the Montage's main level slider at the mid position.

That's not to say that Yamaha has been well matched in all situations. Live - and using default output gain levels - my soundman was having trouble getting my levels up. I initially had to run with the volume slider all the way up without any headroom for adjusting volume up (which was always needed). Since that first performance, I've adjusted the output gain using details already on this thread and now the level of Montage better matches other microphones/keyboards/guitars/etc. (in terms of the level the mixer sees). I now set the volume slider at 50% which gives headroom needed to make upward or downward adjustments.

I think you will also find that you can make adjustments to the performances themselves - as none of the presets that I am aware of use volume levels of 127 (max) - staying closer to the area of 100. Therefore, there is some room within the performance to also make adjustments if you need to. I wouldn't recommend doing this, but it is an option. What I find is venue changes the response enough that it is safe to keep the performance levels as-is, use the main output level boost, and let the soundman (and occasional volume slider adjustments) take care of keeping the keyboard balanced.

Although you are free to match any powered studio monitors with the Montage - the keyboard was (mostly) designed with Yamaha reference speakers. The intent of the sound, for me, is best represented through Yamaha speakers which also do a fine job as mix reference speakers.

Posted : 17/01/2017 12:59 pm
Eyal
 Eyal
Eminent Member

Andrew wrote:

from Korg Kronos audio output is weaker than that of Yamaha montage

I have both. and I don't base my claims on estimations or specs. the Montage has the lowest output out of my equipment (which is a few synths from Korg, Roland and Yamaha - a Motif ES and a TG77).

Posted : 17/01/2017 1:05 pm
Steve
Topic starter

Thanks for your replies. Could I ask, what about the cables that I'm using? I'm using new Balanced TRS-to-Balanced XLR cables. Should I be using TS cables, instead? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Posted : 17/01/2017 8:49 pm
Bad Mister

Montage analog outputs are TRS (balanced).

You are listening to Monitor speakers, which have an optimum performance in a three or four foot equilateral triangle. Whether or not the volume level you are getting is correct is a question for JBL. While the Montage defaults to a +6dB output, this is based on multiple channels playing and is very much influenced by the velocity used to perform the data. Try some of the Audition phrases... just to eliminate a light touch being the reason you get low volume.

Monitor speakers are not loudspeakers, they are designed for moderate listening levels. Moderate and loud are subjective things.

Posted : 17/01/2017 9:34 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The cables you are using are appropriate. TS cables (not TRS) would not give you a balanced signal. The balanced signal (differential) is better for noise immunity.

The HS-series has both an XLR and TRS (balanced) inputs. I've used both the arrangement you have (1/4" TRS to XLR) and 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS. Out of convenience - since I only have so many cables - I currently use TRS-to-TRS in the studio and carry the TRS-to-XLR cable with me to live performances.

Posted : 17/01/2017 9:38 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us