Clear all

Using AKG K702 and MOTIF XF

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Is motif XF phones output capable of driving AKG K702 without any issues? I appreciate to read your feed back.

Posted : 27/04/2017 7:45 pm

Assuming you haven't gotten them yet... 🙂
I haven't used AKG K702 with my XF's, but I have used with much pleasure HPH-MT220.
Back when the last 40th Anniversary promotions were happening I bought several different items using those coupon codes offered for the promotion.
These phones are getting difficult to find now. I Think there are some HERE
This store is trustworthy and with good shipping, I tricked out a White XF in '14 buying flash boards, Fw16e, Fc3, one of those phones.... went crazy had some fun! ...all through their Shop.
Matching the specs AKG HPH should be all it would take.
Hope that helps.

Posted : 27/04/2017 9:19 pm
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Many thanks Bubba for the link and the info. I'm looking for an open-back headphones for mixing and mastering purposes. My mixes sounds different on some headphones and speakers. Is a closed-back headphones like HPH good for what I'm looking for?

Posted : 28/04/2017 5:49 pm

A wrote:

Is motif XF phones output capable of driving AKG K702 without any issues? I appreciate to read your feed back.

To my research, I think THIS LINK, though a bit old, might help you to understand as it helped me. *Special attention to 5pinDin and VikasSharma near to the end. Plus there are several good links even though slightly dated from about three years ago.

After my look at their Specifications, and I was unaware of the existence of AKG K702 three years ago, I found the ohms to be just about twice, they are Open-Back not closed, slightly heavier, and of course about $100 more than the HPH-MT220.
Specs can be compared HERE and HERE. See what you think.
I believe getting headphones for use with the jack on the XF will sound more accurate with proper volume level the closer they are matched closer to one another in ohms output/impedance (32ohms).
Though this might be subjective.

*I'm an independent songwriter not associated with anyone. 😉
*I have purchased several different headphones, the HPH being the most expensive.
What I discovered, and all these being Closed-Back design (as we do live vocal recordings requiring closed), was that each produced a different sounding 'room'. I say this because Closed Back cans isolate all the recorded sound with minimal if any bleeding of the room one is in.

Posted : 28/04/2017 8:10 pm
Bad Mister

It can be tricky getting and predicting how headphones behavior under different conditions... a good rule of thumb is the lower the impedance the less likely you are to need an external amplifier. How loud someone likes to listen is the other tricky variable. Many people equate HOW LOUD something is with quality (that's rubbish) don't fall for that.

Deliver the system the power it needs then judge... don't just pick the loudest. While headphones with 40 Ohms resistance may sound slightly louder than headphones with 80 Ohms resistance, and a whole lot louder than headphones with 300 Ohms resistance, don't just base your decision on which is loudest. When you get into area of impedance 300 Ohms, you might need a headphone amp... but mileage can vary...

I don't know the AKG at all, but the Yamaha HPH-MT120 and HPH-MT220, for example, the 220s are lower impedance than the 120s and sound 'louder' when used in the Motif XF. Either will deliver enough signal without the need for any additional amplification.

I just got a pair of the new Yamaha HPH-MT8 which are the MT220 replacements. Wow... you can mix in these.

But I would give you this advise, no matter how great a set of phones are, you have to try them on and decide if they are comfortable (first and foremost)... if you can't stand having them on your head, doesn't matter how great they sound. I recommend you get to a music store and ask to hear a Montage or Motif through them... that's the kind of thing a local store can of for you. But give the Yamaha MT8s a try, you'll hear it immediately!

Posted : 28/04/2017 8:24 pm

Yamaha HPH-MT8 (check out the Sweetwater Price!)
New and improved always works for me!

How you doin' Phil. You're still the inspiration for us! 😀

I wasn't going to mention, but I think I may still have that pic of Bad Mister wearing those HPH's I bought, before I bought them! haha 😉
-----------
ADDED: I just ordered mine! Dog-gonit! the damn piggybanks empty again!

Posted : 28/04/2017 8:33 pm
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks again Bubba. I will for sure think about the Yamaha headphones you suggested and will make my final decision when I know enough about each of these. No piggybanks here to empty Bubba it will take me about a couple months to save and buy new headphones 😐 I hope you enjoy yours though tell me how they are when they arrived 😉

I live in a small city and it's hard to find high-end equipments to demo either AKG or Yamaha no difference. I also need to try them out on a Motif or a Montage which makes the purchase even more difficult. I also want to try them on an Audio Interface like the UR series and I guess it is impossible. There is no store in my city that has all these available for testing at once.

I've read a lot about AKGs but the reviews are mainly written by non-professionals and mostly by enthusiasts. I found very little (and not really helpful) about MOTIF XF and the AKG model I'm looking for. This by Ken Rockwell was really helpful but he doesn't say anything about MOTIF... I learned some rules about impedance and what SPL etc are but I'm looking for a definitive answer.

Thanks Phill for the advice. I keep it them mind and think about it twice before I finalize my decision. I've read that these AKGs have a nice and wide soundstage (what I'm looking for). I have a Sony MDR-7506. Very good headphones, but my string sections sound different on some speakers and headphones. I realized that my semi-open KOSS headset helps a lot in fixing it!!! but it's a consumer product with its own deficiencies.

It seems the AKGs need an amp. At the same time I can get a used UR22mkII or UR242 for about the same price of an amp "if they can drive them"?

Posted : 29/04/2017 1:30 am

You're most welcome Andreas, and we wish you all the best in your journey.

It's an illusion sometimes the way life appears....
"Those souls that never make any mistakes, might not be doing as much as others"
With that thought I follow with this one, follow the designers who built the machine I love, the Motif XF.
What would they use? Would their phones selection be more cooperative with the XF? maybe. or maybe more probably.
Sometimes it's all just a roll of the dice. Other times it's logical.
But then on the other side, "Recording with headphones is one thing, that's not too bad"
"But mixing down and then attempting to self-master using headphones?".... WELL,
the negative opinions truly begin to fly at me! To corroborate this truth just try the simple Google search titled,"Mixing and Mastering using headphones" or "Studio Monitors vs headphones for audio mixing and mastering".
I didn't include these results links out of respect for everyone as a whole.
Maybe a healthy combination of a little bit of time on both headphones and near-field monitors, as well as car speakers, boom boxes and everything/anything else that's called a speaker.

The last little thingy for tonight, I have tried to master a song of mine....this too is an interesting Google Search read about why it's a bad idea too! 🙂
I'm usually a person who appears happy and positive all the time, but lately, day by day, I seem to keep going back to,
"Those souls that never make any mistakes, might not be doing as much as others"
....I just don't think I'm doing ALL THAT MUCH! to be making all these mistakes! 😀 😮 🙁
I'm probably not a good mastering tech and I know I don't have that highly specialized equipment, or even a Sonoris Suite.
I'm also a Cd Baby artist. I was with them before the merger with DiscMakers. The SoundLab Mastering at DiscMakers is now $45 per song. Down from what I paid in 2013 of $100 per song with variable pricing for quantities which are now gone.
I contacted them asking if this was a temporary promotional price or permanent, they told me it was permanent. This is a good rate for what I get in return.
A real person, a fresh set of ears is most appreciated after writing, arranging, rewrites, recording several times and then mixing down to two track stereo OF ONE SONG? ! By this time, any rational human is just sick of that song! 🙂
This is where they come in.
It's either that money going for that, or psychotherapy for me. 😮 😀
Good Luck.

Posted : 29/04/2017 3:20 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us