Notifications
Clear all

Arps & Scenes

34 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Jason
Illustrious Member

The software utility for editing/creating arpeggios was suggested in a tutorial authored in 2002.

Document properties timestamp as Feb 2002
https://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documents/KeyboardsDMI/1227.pdf

Document's summary close:

In the future you may see an
Arpeggio Editor which will let you get at
more of the โ€˜hiddenโ€™ features of the
mysterious art of arpeggiating. Currently
the four tracks have limited use.

Posted : 05/05/2022 8:47 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I've hit an insurmountable obstacle and don't know what to do. Cubase stop play Arpeggio. Realtime Arpeggio is played.
Maybe I need SysEx command? Google, youtube quiet about Cubase, MODX, arpeggio.
I press everything. I don't know where to find the answer

I already thought I knew almost everything ๐Ÿ™

But I think I have figured out one secret of creating arpeggios, but this will have to be checked later.

Why Cubase midi track don't play with Performance used Scene/Arpeggio?
What happens Who to blame Scene or Arp ? Local control is off.

Posted : 05/05/2022 9:24 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I haven't tested it. Randomly, I recorded the part very high in the upper octave. It turned out that the arpeggio is repeated in all octaves without changing in pitch. I once wanted to achieve this. But you need to check. It was in between. Maybe it's not. By the way, it is known that the extremely upper octave above the G note begins to duplicate the waveforms of the range. But in my case, when recording root note C-2, the repetitions stretched over a large range of the keyboard.

Posted : 05/05/2022 10:05 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Why Cubase midi track don't play with Performance used Scene/Arpeggio?
What happens Who to blame Scene or Arp ? Local control is off.

May be this? ๐Ÿ™
This is not SysEx format.
Something like a sync issue. How to start Arp via midi? Pressing piano in Cubase nothing start.

Posted : 05/05/2022 10:14 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

No, not Fixed. I searching a mode that plays all 12 notes but limited in one octave.

Posted : 05/05/2022 10:39 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Please elaborate what you are doing in Cubase that causes the arpeggios to stop. If only so I can do the same thing here and take a look.

If you load Cubase and do nothing - this will not affect arpeggios. So beyond that, cannot know what you are doing on the Cubase side.

Posted : 05/05/2022 11:20 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If you want to be able to play a chord anywhere and have the chord play in the same octave then there are limitations to user arps where preset arps can do this.

The best you can do is octave shift the arpeggio so you can play the arp in one range and have the sounding notes play at another octave.

Source: https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/creating-arps-with-octave-aware-chord-intelligence

Among the Part โ€œArpeggioโ€ > โ€œCommonโ€ parameters is the โ€œOctave Shiftโ€ parameter. This allows you to offset your Arp control -/+10 octaves below/above the โ€œOrg Noteโ€ position. Use this โ€œOctave Shiftโ€ parameter to offset the octave where the User Arp sounds. For example, if youโ€™re going to be controlling a User Arp with your left hand, but you desire to offset the resulting sound by +2 Octaves to have instrument sound in the correct range.

Posted : 06/05/2022 2:15 am
Member Admin

It's best to think of the "Arpeggio" system in MODX/Montage as a byzantine (but extremely limited) and opaque Phrase Sequencer with some dynamic responsiveness options that you cannot control, nor analyse to understand.

And you certainly can't access/use its conditionality "logic" in your own creations for/with this system's integration with the "Pattern Sequencer" as an "Arp" creator.

I think, once you recalibrate to it being this, and thinking of it in this way in your mind, your expectations for its behaviour and capabilities are more in line with reality. IMNSHO.

It is further hobbled by the lack of a programmable/settable "Chord" feature in the MODX/Montage, which would have been ideal for us end users to "drive" this Phrase Sequencer within narrow Splits via single notes representative of Chords we might want to "drive" it with.

When you realise how much a Chord feature could add to the MODX/Montage's Massively Multi-Part playability AND to the "Phrase Sequencer" (arps) and that it has 10,000+ of these "arps" and that a Chord feature is not difficult to code, and that Yamaha hasn't added this in 6+ years of the Montage/MODX lineup's lifespan, you get a very good feel for where things are at.

Posted : 06/05/2022 3:58 am
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Just one things above. I check It yesterday. Making low sound e.g. piano. Playing high in eightth octave to record arpeggio and move Orig Notes root to C-2.
All octaves will be mirrored to himself copies.
Something like this. I may be wrong about the accuracy of the parameters.

Posted : 06/05/2022 8:23 am
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Jason, I'll try to understand what's going on. Although there are I have no an ideas. When I open an empty program window, the arpeggio will play. When I create a new project and add a new midi track, the arpeggio stops playing. When I close the project, the arpeggio immediately starts playing by itself. I think there is a link in MODX to Local off. For some reason, it does not want to play with the internal synchronization of Cubase.

Usaly my Cubase playing good with MODX but I first time try to play with
arpeggio/scene.

Posted : 06/05/2022 8:46 am
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Now Arpeggio is play!
MIDI Clock Destination MODX-1 [x]
I have not used this before anywere ๐Ÿ™‚

But it doesn't work very well. When I press stop some sounds continue to buzz ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
I tryied to switch all other MIDI options Send MIDI Clock on Stop and other.
I don't see any use for them.
Rundomly e. g. Experimental Work performance as is.

Posted : 06/05/2022 8:13 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

@semiono all of you need to change Hold ON to OFF!
Zone Master the same is not available within DAW tasks.

๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted : 18/06/2022 6:14 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Also, if you're recording ARP note output (not the trigger notes) then upon playback you need to bypass arpeggios. I'm not sure what you're doing - just a heads up. You have the option to record ARPs either way.

Posted : 18/06/2022 6:59 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I performed Performance for live playing and I use Zone to isolate accompaniment left and solo in right hand. In DAW solo part is quiet. I found that Zone master need to disable.
Then the part play ok. I would like to save my Performance to library and maybe to share it.
But I confused Master Zone On or Off. Live set or DAW set?
If everyone start play with Zone off then all parts down to heap.
How it could maybe to performed for to share? ๐Ÿ™‚

Dependence on ZM leads to the fact that it is not known how the Performance will behave on another device. It's strange that this is moved to global settings

It is also strange and inconvenient that the height limit is not configured in the arpeggio settings. You have to adjust your voice to the tasks of the arpeggio, and not vice versa.

Posted : 19/06/2022 5:38 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Setting Zone will defeat Single-Channel MIDI mode. So if you rely on Single-Channel MIDI mode for your DAW recording then this is why disabling Zone makes things work. There's other possibilities if you have your instrument in multi-channel mode under both live and DAW use. Those are more straight forward and "visible" so there's not a need for me to explain that case.

If everyone start play with Zone off then all parts down to heap.
How it could maybe to performed for to share?

Sorry, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If you want to share the Performance and are concerned about the Zone Master global setting then just pass instructions along with your share to enable Zone Master. However, I think that "dependence" on Zone Master or not is more a function of things in your environment that could change if you want to remove this. I cannot really "fix" this for you since there's a lot to know about the setup both hardware and software.

I do think it's key to understand that if you need Single-Channel (or Hybrid) that either of these modes is defeated when enabling Zone Master. As mentioned before it may not apply in your case - but if it does - then this could explain some of the "mystery".

It is also strange and inconvenient that the height limit is not configured in the arpeggio settings. You have to adjust your voice to the tasks of the arpeggio, and not vice versa.

I don't really quite understand what you're saying here - but I infer you mean how the note limits work. If that's true - then yes, I've complained about this before. There are two note limit sections. One under arpeggio and one under general Part settings. How these work seems backwards to me. One of the note ranges changes which of your keyboard keys triggers or are passed on to the arpeggiator. This is the "Arpeggio" section note limit. The reason why this seems backwards is that for non-arpeggios the Part's general section note limits handles this. Regardless - know there are two sections for note limits. With arpeggios the second section under general sets the note limits of which notes are output from your arpeggio. This may be higher/lower than the trigger note or otherwise different than the arpeggio range depending on what you want.

But do learn what the two note limit settings do for arpeggios.

Posted : 19/06/2022 9:00 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share:

ยฉ 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. ย ย  Terms of Useย |ย Privacy Policyย |ย Contact Us