Notifications
Clear all

Assign button don't work when disable Kbd Ctrl

22 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Urs
Topic starter

The Performance (Bosendorfer) Imperial Digi Pad has some nice sound variations using buttons Assing 1, Assign 2, Mod Wheel.
When disable Kbd Ctrl on performance home for playing this performance from external keyboard, the mentioned Assing buttons and Mod Wheel don't work anymore. (Sliders and Superknob still works)
It's not possible to obtain these controller functions when playing from external keyboard?
Thanks Urs

Posted : 21/07/2019 1:22 pm
Bad Mister

KBD CTRL translates literally to Keyboard Control. In order for you to control (play) the Part from a Keyboard (be it the MODX Keyboard or an external Keyboard via MIDI) the green KBD CTRL icon must be active, unless your controller can transmit on multiple zones, simultaneously. KBD CTRL links the first eight Parts together so that they can be played (controlled) simultaneously by a single keyboard.

This makes your statement a very true statement “Assign buttons don’t work when you disable KBD CTRL”... they will not work for that Part. The Keyboard is defined as the keys, the MW, the PB Wheel, the Sliders, the Assign Knobs, the Assign Switches, the Foot pedals, the Sustain pedal, etc., etc.

KBD CTRL = all your Keys and all your controllers.
(Except the Super Knob and Scene Change — these can address all 16 Parts whether or not KBD CTRL is active or not).

When you activate the KBD CTRL on a Part, 1-8, it is addressable via a Keyboard (local or external).

Each Part with KBD CTRL active is set to Receive on a separate MIDI Channel... or you can place all active KBD CTRL Parts on a Single MIDI Channel. This is your choice by setting the “MIDI I/O Mode”.

This is determined by you: press [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “Advanced” > MIDI I/O Mode

When MIDI I/O Mode = Multi each of the eight possible KBD CTRL Parts are on a separate MIDI Channel 1-8, respectively.
When MIDI I/O Mode = Single all of the KDB CTRL Parts are Set to the same MIDI Channel you set here.

Does your external keyboard controller transmit on multiple MIDI Channels, simultaneously?
If yes, then each transmit Zone can address one of the MODX’s active KBD CTRL Parts while MIDI I/O = Multi.
If no, then set the MODX to Single Mode and select a MIDI Channel on which to address all Parts together.

Let us know what you are trying to accomplish...

Posted : 21/07/2019 2:01 pm
 Urs
Topic starter

I would like to control the mentioned performance from an external keyboard, with the possibility of using Assign switches etc. for soundvariations
On the same time I should be able to play other sounds with MODX Keyboard.

Posted : 21/07/2019 3:01 pm
Bad Mister

Again, this will depend on the question I asked you:

Does your external keyboard controller transmit on multiple MIDI Channels, simultaneously? The Performance has 5 Parts. If the MODX is in MIDI I/O Mode = Multi, this Performance is Set to Transmit/Receive on 5 channels... provided the KBD CTRL icon links the Parts in question.

Current firmware: If you want to control the 5 Parts of the “Imperial Digi Pad” while your MODX is in MIDI I/O Mode = Multi, this means that your external Controller would need to transmit on 5 MIDI Channels simultaneously...A 5-Zone setup where each Zone commands a MIDI channel. Zone 1 will trigger Part 1, Zone 2 will trigger Part 2, and so on.

If your external controller cannot Transmit on at least a Zone for each Part that you want to play, then you cannot use the MODX in MIDI I/O Mode = Multi, while attempting to control it externally. You need to place it in MIDI I/O Mode = Single.

When the MODX is set to MIDI I/O Mode = Single, it transmits and receives on a Single selected MIDI channel. Those Parts with KBD CTRL active will all play from the MIDI Channel you set. In this situation then you can *directly* select any single Part (non-KBD CTRL 6-16) to play on the MODX

Because there are only one set of physical controllers, if you select to play a Part *directly*, the physical controllers will apply to the selected Part. That is, say you placed a synth lead in Part 8, non-KBD CTRL, when you *select* Part 8, the MW, PB, Foot Controls, AsSwitches, Assign Knobs, etc, will apply to the synth Lead.

The external Keyboard, the one that is triggering the KBD CTRL’d Parts, will need to use its own physical controllers.
The is only one Performance and only one set of Common Controller Assignments... so if you use the Super Knob to control parameters of the Synth Lead Sound in Part 8, the Super Knob will also affect Parts 1-5.

Posted : 22/07/2019 2:24 pm
 Urs
Topic starter

Yes, my external keyboard transmit on multiple MIDI Channels and I can control, (play) all 5 parts of the Imperial Digi Pad.
But if I want to control simultaneous part 6 with MODXs keyboard, I have to disable KBD CTRL on parts 1-5, so Assign switches for the Imperial Digi Pad are not active.

Posted : 22/07/2019 3:03 pm
Bad Mister

If I understand you correctly.... your Controller can send Zone 1/Ch1, Zone 2/Ch2, Zone 3/Ch3, Zone 4/Ch4 and Zone 5/Ch5... if this is the case then you want to deactivate KBD CTRL on the “Imperial Digi Pad” Parts... you don’t need the MODX to link them, your external controller has done that already. You can now use the MODX Keys to play multiple internal Parts, as usual.

If your external controller can do multiple zones on different Channels, I recommend to use the EXCHANGE function to move the 5 Parts of the “Imperial Digi Pad” to occupy 9-13... set your external controller to transmit to those Parts (KBD CTRL is always Off on those Parts). This will allow you to play Parts 1-8 from the MODX Keys, using KBD CTRL.

Extra Credit:
EXCHANGE is a Part Function that allows you to swap any two Parts. It can be used, for example, to swap Part 1 with Part 9.
Select Part 1
Press [SHIFT] + [EDIT]
Select “Exchange”
Set target = 9

(Note: The System puts a “placeholder” Part in slot 1 — as something must always be in Part 1).

Rinse and repeat Exchanging 2 10, 3 11, 4 12, and 5 13

Extra Credit
You move between viewing PARTs 1-8 to PARTS 9-16 by [SHIFT] + [1-4/5-8] (Located just to the left of the Sliders ... the button will flash when you are viewing 9-12 and 13-16.

Once you have exchanged these Parts, and are set to trigger them from your external controller (multiple Zones using Channels 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13) you are free to use the internal engine to recall Parts in slots 1-8. You can link those you want to play simultaneously with the KBD CTRL icon (active-green) or leave the Part deactivated, for *direct* selection.

Playing the MODX keyboard, your MODX Controllers will only affect the MODX sounds currently under KBD CTRL (or those you select directly)... so Pitch Bending the MODX’s Wheel will only bend the KBD CTRL Parts (or the directly selected Part). Only the PB from the external Controller will bend the “Imperial Digi Pad” Parts, 9-13.

The Super Knob, being “Super” will be able to affect all Parts, as you designate on the upper Common/Audio level of the architecture.
Likewise, the SCENE recalls affect all Parts, as you designate on the Scene Memory screen.

And finally, if you wish to operate the parameters that assigned to the AsSw1 and AsSw2 (Op Level, Op Skirt, Cutoff) you simply need to send cc86 and cc87 for AsSw1 and 2, respectively, from your external controller.

Posted : 22/07/2019 4:04 pm
 Urs
Topic starter

Thanks for your explanations!
And sorry if my question was not clear.

Posted : 22/07/2019 6:42 pm

Again, this will depend on the question I asked you:

Does your external keyboard controller transmit on multiple MIDI Channels, simultaneously? The Performance has 5 Parts. If the MODX is in MIDI I/O Mode = Multi, this Performance is Set to Transmit/Receive on 5 channels... provided the KBD CTRL icon links the Parts in question.

Current firmware: If you want to control the 5 Parts of the “Imperial Digi Pad” while your MODX is in MIDI I/O Mode = Multi, this means that your external Controller would need to transmit on 5 MIDI Channels simultaneously...A 5-Zone setup where each Zone commands a MIDI channel. Zone 1 will trigger Part 1, Zone 2 will trigger Part 2, and so on.

If your external controller cannot Transmit on at least a Zone for each Part that you want to play, then you cannot use the MODX in MIDI I/O Mode = Multi, while attempting to control it externally. You need to place it in MIDI I/O Mode = Single.

When the MODX is set to MIDI I/O Mode = Single, it transmits and receives on a Single selected MIDI channel. Those Parts with KBD CTRL active will all play from the MIDI Channel you set. In this situation then you can *directly* select any single Part (non-KBD CTRL 6-16) to play on the MODX

Because there are only one set of physical controllers, if you select to play a Part *directly*, the physical controllers will apply to the selected Part. That is, say you placed a synth lead in Part 8, non-KBD CTRL, when you *select* Part 8, the MW, PB, Foot Controls, AsSwitches, Assign Knobs, etc, will apply to the synth Lead.

The external Keyboard, the one that is triggering the KBD CTRL’d Parts, will need to use its own physical controllers.
The is only one Performance and only one set of Common Controller Assignments... so if you use the Super Knob to control parameters of the Synth Lead Sound in Part 8, the Super Knob will also affect Parts 1-5.

Hi,
My external controller don't trasmit on multiple MIDI channels. How can I control the sliders from parts using my external controller. To control the Super Knob I can use the cc95 but what control I can use to control the parts?

best regards!
Luis Ribeiro

Posted : 16/08/2019 2:55 pm
Bad Mister

My external controller don't trasmit on multiple MIDI channels. How can I control the sliders from parts using my external controller. To control the Super Knob I can use the cc95 but what control I can use to control the parts?

Since I have no idea what your external controller is capable of, I cannot answer this question.

Why can’t you use the Sliders on the MODX?

If your controller doesn’t transmit on multiple channels, you will have to set the MODX’s “MIDI I/O Mode” = Single... and then program the Super Knob to Control the MODX Parts. The Super Knob is a macro controller it can control the Volume of all 16 Parts.
If you would like to control an individual Part, then you would have to have knowledge about what your keyboard controller is capable of sending. For example, if you have a Foot Control pedal that can send cc04 you can Program the sound you wish to control to follow cc04. But you don’t tell us anything about your your Controller except it “don’t transmit on multiple MIDI channels”.

What options does it have?

Posted : 16/08/2019 4:10 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The question of what does it take to externally control the sliders for PART 1-16 volumes should be answerable.

If the keyboard supports this or not can be determined by the user.

What is slightly ambiguous is the mode of the sliders referenced.

@Luis:

The sliders can assume different modes of operation. Primarily either each slider controls volume of a different PART -or- a different mode where each slider controls one of the element(AWM2)/operator(FM-X) levels within a single PART(currently selected PART).

I assume the former mode (volumes of each PART). Is that correct?

Posted : 16/08/2019 4:22 pm

Since I have no idea what your external controller is capable of, I cannot answer this question.

Why can’t you use the Sliders on the MODX?

If your controller doesn’t transmit on multiple channels, you will have to set the MODX’s “MIDI I/O Mode” = Single... and then program the Super Knob to Control the MODX Parts. The Super Knob is a macro controller it can control the Volume of all 16 Parts.
If you would like to control an individual Part, then you would have to have knowledge about what your keyboard controller is capable of sending. For example, if you have a Foot Control pedal that can send cc04 you can Program the sound you wish to control to follow cc04. But you don’t tell us anything about your your Controller except it “don’t transmit on multiple MIDI channels”.

What options does it have?

I have a Casio Privia Px5s and I would like to use like master and the MODX like slave. O Px5s has sliders then I can configuring control change message (#cc). I give you a example:
I would like to use a performance with 3 parts: part1 - Piano; part2 - pad; part3 - organ.
The first and second part (1 and 2) I would like to use on px5 using the sliders this external controller (Px5) controlling the volume this part 1 and 2.
The part 3 (organ) I would like to use with key's MODX.
I used the Super Knob like example to say that I controll using the #cc95. I think that is possible control the volume from performance part using some control change number.

Sorry for my bad English... I am from Brazil! 🙂

Posted : 16/08/2019 4:49 pm

The question of what does it take to externally control the sliders for PART 1-16 volumes should be answerable.

If the keyboard supports this or not can be determined by the user.

What is slightly ambiguous is the mode of the sliders referenced.

@Luis:

The sliders can assume different modes of operation. Primarily either each slider controls volume of a different PART -or- a different mode where each slider controls one of the element(AWM2)/operator(FM-X) levels within a single PART(currently selected PART).

I assume the former mode (volumes of each PART). Is that correct?

Yes, you are correct. I would like to controll the volume this parts using my external controller (Cassio Privia Px5).

Posted : 16/08/2019 4:51 pm
Bad Mister

I would like to use a performance with 3 parts: part1 - Piano; part2 - pad; part3 - organ.
The first and second part (1 and 2) I would like to use on px5 using the sliders this external controller (Px5) controlling the volume this part 1 and 2.
The part 3 (organ) I would like to use with key's MODX.

You can control each of the three Parts independently.
In [UTILITY] > "Settings" > "Advanced" > set the MIDI I/O Mode = Single.

PARTS 1 (Piano) and 2 (Pad) both have KBD CTRL active on the HOME screen. This combines them so that they will sound together when you transmit IN on MIDI Channel 1
PART 3 (Organ), will need to be *selected* directly on the Home screen of the MODX so that you can play just the organ alone and control its Volume with the Super Knob.

Here's how to setup the three Parts
I used "CFX Stage" in PART 1, "Nu Warm Pad" is PART 2, and the B3 organ "8-8-8-8-6-2-2-0-0"

Set the Sliders on your external controller to Send cc messages not used to control a specific function.
For example, say you’d like to control the Piano in Part 1 with cc2, the Pad in Part 2 with cc3 from your external controller.
If you are going to play the Organ from the MODX Keys you’ll probably want to control it from the MODX — we’ll cover that last.

Piano: Set the MODX Piano in Part 1 so that Part Volume is “biased” (controlled by) Breath Control — your External Controller slider 1 is set to send cc2 and will be the Piano Part Volume. Shown below:

Pad: Set the MODX Pad in Part 2 so that Part Volume is “biased” to Foot Controller 1, you can do this by setting the Foot Control to cc3 — your External Controller slider 2 is set to send cc3. Shown below

Now to make the Foot Controller 1 "think" it is cc3....
In the Performances COMMON > “Control” > “Control Number”
The Breath Controller is already set to cc2, make the Foot Controller cc3. Shown below.

Posted : 16/08/2019 6:06 pm

I configured the Part 1 then was ok...

configured the Part 2 then was ok too

but when I return to check the Part 1, this part 1 is same configuration the part 2 🙁

I saved each step... I configured the part 1 I saved, I did the same action then I configured the part 2 saving too.

I checked the firmware and is v.1.10.0.

I would like to thank you very much for your help

Posted : 17/08/2019 1:07 pm
Bad Mister

?

Part 1 is controlled by cc2, Part 2 will be controlled (separately) by cc3.
Your last screenshot shows nothing. Part 1 Volume is controlled by Breath Control.

Posted : 17/08/2019 1:35 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us