Notifications
Clear all

Can't get mic to work

28 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 Sean
Topic starter

Really struggling getting a microphone set up as input on MODX. Using a simple dynamic mic hooked into mono side of A/D. Mic is DRV100 that I got at Guitar Center along with cable. They assured me it would work with the keyboard. Plugged in and set to Mic on utility panel. When I enable A/D on the keyboard and turn up the gain, all I get is a hum. No sound out of keyboard output from the mic.

Any thoughts?

Posted : 03/11/2018 12:39 am
Stefan

That always worked for me.

Did you switch the A/D to mic level?

Can you try the mic with some mixer or amp? Maybe it is damaged? Or maybe it is in fact not a dynamic mic and requires phantom power?

Or can you hook up some other source to the A/D input to see if that works?

Posted : 03/11/2018 12:52 am
 Sean
Topic starter

Thanks. Yes, did set to Mic level. The guy at guitar center said that dynamic mics never require power, only condenser. Is that true I wonder?

I might end up taking the mic back. I don't have any other equipment I can test it with.

Unfortunately also don't have anything else I can plug into the A/D.

Posted : 03/11/2018 4:38 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Plug the output of MODX (Main L&R) back into the A/D input. You can setup a performance which only outputs to the right channel (so the Main L output has no sound) then take the Main R output, route that back to A/D input R (right) - then setup the A/D Input routing to output on Main R (mono). You can apply an effect which changes the sound so you can tell it's really obviously working.

I'm not sure the full checklist has been followed:

1) Press the A/D Input [ON/OFF] switch so it lights up (is on)
2) Turn the A/D Input gain knob so it is at 12 o'clock or at least not completely counter-clockwise.
3) Make sure the Common/Audio setting has the A/D Input output routing going somewhere if you need it to be.
4) Also in Common/Audio (same area as #3) - make sure A/D Input volume is set to 100 (is not 0). This is a trim - it doesn't set the gain - but can trim down the input all the way squelched.
5) Make sure your microphone does not require power (aka phantom power - MODX does not supply this).
NOTE: There are passive dynamic microphones which require no power. There are also active dynamic microphones which do require power.
Examples: Blue Microphones enCORE 200 Black, AKG D12 VR, Samson VR 88 (Dynamic Ribbon w/active electronics)
6) Make sure your cabling is appropriate. Be aware that the A/D input is not balanced. It should not hurt - but you might as well have only a T/R termination plugged into MODX's A/D Input

Posted : 03/11/2018 5:04 am
 Sean
Topic starter

Thanks. Have done all of that and still getting nothing. The mic didn't come with instructions or manual, so I don't know if it requires power. But I'm relying on Guitar Center guy for this, since they are selling the gear and should know what's required. He assured me that this mic would work with the MODX.

Planning on taking the mic back, since my best guess is that it's defective.

Also on the cable, it IS balanced. Guitar Center guy said that was required for the keyboard.

Posted : 03/11/2018 1:12 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Owner's manual page 20 shows input as a 1/4" mono phone plug. The picture shows this is TS (unbalanced) and not TRS.

The Montage owner's manual has a more clear table which spells out unbalanced for this input.

I guess it's worth adding to the checklist to ensure any switch is turned on the Mic or sometimes cables have switches.

Posted : 03/11/2018 3:33 pm
 Sean
Topic starter

Ok, just got back from Guitar Center. Still no luck. They have a MODX 8 set up in store and I got their "keyboard guy" to try to get a mic to work. He tried the original DRV100 that I bought and still couldn't get it to work. (We worked through Jason's entire checklist above). We then tried a higher-end dynamic mic that he said does not require phantom power. Still no luck--just a loud hum when we turn on A/D and turn the gain up. We verified all of the other settings in this thread--e.g. common audio settings, which were all defaulting correctly anyway. The guy didn't have any further ideas after struggling with this for nearly an hour. He did seem to know the Montage/MODX fairly well, since he appeared to know his way around the menus and was checking the same menus that were mentioned here. But he said that he'd never tried hooking up a mic. For yucks, he went over to their Montage and tried the same thing, but we got the same results. We ended up trying two keyboards, two different cables, and three mics and couldn't get any sound from the mic.

Bottom line, I'm going to give up on trying to use a mic working with the MODX (was wanting to try the vocoder). Since I've tried my own keyboard as well as the different combinations at Guitar Center, I don't think there's anything wrong with the keyboard or with the mics that we tried.

I can only assume that we're missing some setting on the keyboard, that there's a firmware bug that's causing the problem, or that it just isn't possible to run a mic into these keyboards. It just shoudn't be so hard that the main keyboard guy at Guitar Center couldn't get it to work. Just a warning to others, if you're wanting to purchase MODX or Montage and counting on mic input, you might want to check at a local store first to see if it's actually possible.

Posted : 03/11/2018 5:48 pm
Bad Mister

Make sure you set the “MIC/LINE” option to Mic.

In general, microphones are very weak signals -50 or less. The Keyboard defaults to LINE level which is typical +4.

So you would not hear the Mic signal, at all, if the setting is “Line”.

Press [UTILITY].
Touch "Settings" > "Audio I/O".
Set the MIC/LINE parameter to "MIC" (green)
Use the Gain control on the left front panel to raise or lower the input gain.
Microphones are weak signals so it is not unusual at all to have the Gain set at or near maximum.

The cable can also be an issue. No transformer is necessary. Female XLR-to- male TS 1/4”

The MONTAGE and MODX have a very decent Mic pre and you should be able to make stellar recording with it, the input channel for the A/D Input has access to the same boutique Dual Insertion Effect blocks you find on the synth Parts, and access to the System and Master Effects (as well as its own EQ). The Vocoder allows you to create a modulation source from your vocals to the synth engine.

Let us know.

Extra Credit:
Those wishing to use a condenser mic simply need to provide the Mic with the necessary voltage it requires (the synth does not provide any Phantom power) typically, through a small mixer or phantom power box, then you can connect the Line Out of that to the synth’s A/D Input as a “Line” level input. Some condensers can use internal batteries. The advantages of condensers tend to be warmth because of their sensitivity (used for recording); They do not make a good Mic for use with the Vocoder, necessarily, due to their hyper sensitivity. Your mileage may vary. A good dynamic gives great results - once you get it hooked properly. Check your cable type.

Posted : 03/11/2018 6:08 pm
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi to complete what Jason and Phill have write, you have the video i done for using A/D input with a microphone:

For the humming it can come from a stereo jack 6.35, i have plug one by mistake one time, it cause the same humming noise, i change it quickly by a mono of course.
Be sure you have "Mic" for A/D input settings in Utility > Settings > Audio I/O like Phil write on he's last post.

When it will work check my other video about using Vocoder, it's record with Montage and work in the same way for MODX, you can find it on the Moessieurs Monday:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/modx-category/moessieurs-monday-the-modx-vocoder

Videos are in French, subtitle in English.

Hope it's help.

Posted : 03/11/2018 10:32 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I've used a cheap microphone that's an accessory for a karaoke machine you buy at a toy store or consumer electronics store (like Best Buy). It has the right TS plug and works fine for me. I have "proper" (pro) dynamic passive mics - but sometimes it's just easier to use something that has the cable integrated for me. When used for modulation, I do not have any concern for the nuance of the mic.

Posted : 04/11/2018 1:46 am
Stefan

Just a warning to others, if you're wanting to purchase MODX or Montage and counting on mic input, you might want to check at a local store first to see if it's actually possible.

I totally agree that it is always good to test upfront that something you need works - if you can. However in this specific case I would like to make sure that people know without a doubt, that it is indeed possible to plug a dynamic microphone into the MODX or Montage and make it work fine. There is no question about that. Countless people have made that to work. Just today I tried it again with both Montage and MODX and with the newest firmware version for both it worked fine.

In your case it is unclear why you cannot get it to work. There is the remote possibility that you are suffering from an unbelievable stroke of bad luck, having a combination of bad cables, bad microphones, or bad synths. There could also be some misunderstanding on the part of the guitar center guy. For example although he tried different cables but always the same wrong type. Or he just does not find his way through the software. Or those are all indeed condenser microphones etc.

It just shoudn't be so hard that the main keyboard guy at Guitar Center couldn't get it to work.

And yes it is not. I just plugged in the microphone, enabled the A/D input using the hardware button and cranked up the gain using the hardware knob. I heard something if a bit faint at least. That's not too bad, I would say. Then I set the A/D to mic and everything was great.

Posted : 04/11/2018 8:44 am
 Sean
Topic starter

Thanks all for the suggestions--just to reiterate, I did set the Audio I/O to Mic and we did try a couple of different dynamic mics.

Posted : 05/11/2018 3:14 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

The process is the same with Montage - so get it working on a Montage. If you see the exact same results - then there's likely something wrong with your procedure or not-the-keyboard equipment. If you get different results - then there may be something along the lines of a "single unit failure" with the MODX. It may have been induced by misuse. Who knows what happens to public keyboards - even ones that haven't been on the floor for very long.

Posted : 05/11/2018 9:41 am
Bad Mister

Thanks all for the suggestions--just to reiterate, I did set the Audio I/O to Mic and we did try a couple of different dynamic mics.

Sean, you can try a hundred mics, if you are using the wrong cable none of them will work.

Please get the appropriate cable: Google it...

Female XLR to male 1/4” TS (Tip-Sleeve)

Posted : 05/11/2018 12:30 pm
 Sean
Topic starter

That's the cable we were using. Also quite sure that we set things up properly in the menu and that we were using dynamic mics that do not require phantom power.

Not a big deal, it would be nice to have a mic, but given that the in store synth behaved as mine at home did, I'm convinced it's not something that will likely work.

Posted : 06/11/2018 4:56 am
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us