Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MODX PC installation not possible.

32 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Bad Mister

I see 10 MIDI devices in your Registry. (I’m not sure why you keep posting these additional screenshots. I guess you think they are helpful but they are not)... do you see the 10 “midi” registry entries? they look like this on the right side of the registry screen:
midi
midi1
midi2
midi3
midi4
midi5
midi6
midi7
midi8
midi9

That’s 10 ...you have reached the limit... you can delete those.
Every time you plug any MIDI device into a USB port, if that port has not previously seen that device, then Windows dutifully registers it for that port and increments this “midi” entry... again and again. Delete them ... delete only those “midi” registry entries. Am I clear?
You can avoid running out by always connecting your devices to the same physical port!

After deleting them, SAVE your changes, then reinstall the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver... connect your instrument.
Then go to CONTROL PANEL > find the (red) Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver icon > double click it
You will see 3 tabs: ASIO, MODX(x), ABOUT
Let us know...

Posted : 12/10/2018 8:18 pm
Topic starter

I have done what you have told me and it still does not work

Posted : 12/10/2018 8:57 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

... almost - request was to click on the "About" tab of the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver. You're showing the "ASIO" tab in your screenshot.

Rather than hack the registry - I'd probably have first tried to uninstall the software which created the drivers (if possible).

Posted : 12/10/2018 9:37 pm
Topic starter

All the old drivers has been desintalled too. The only driver still running is the Roland MX1 driver.

Posted : 12/10/2018 9:44 pm
Topic starter

Thx Bad Mister and Jason.

I know what happens. Not the midi list of the 10 devices. This windows message is the problem. DRIVER SIGNATURE, folks....

After a google search, I found this post of a guy who had the same problem as me in Windows 64 bits.

https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10350

I´ve tried the driver provided there, but it doesn´t works with my MODX

Partial solution:

F8 by booting the PC, Select Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4RwaI4mn6Y

And IT WORKS!!! Now the MODX is recognized. Works perfectly as USB audio interface. Works perfectly in Reaper...

But..:(

This is a temporary solution. Everytime I want to use my MODX as USB interface, I have to repeat the process...

Yamaha, please...help!

Posted : 13/10/2018 9:11 am
Bad Mister

Okay, I’m assuming you saved the registry after you deleted the items, and at some point you have rebooted the computer?
After installation and connection to the MODX, revisit the Registry and see if the midi-midi9 items returned, or not.

Your next step is to do your own search concerning WINDOWS 7 and MIDI driver issues via MicroSoft support. Sorry you are having an issue. Driver installation for 99% of users is smooth and easy.

It clearly is a Windows issues - it would help if you would kind of tell us (loosely translate) what the screenshots you post are saying.
If you are so inclined you can contact the local Yamaha support in your country. They certainly will have an easier time dealing with translating your screenshots (sorry I’m unable to help).

Where is the screenshot of the YSUSB Driver Control Panel when you say “IT WORKS!!!”
That would be interesting to see.

Posted : 13/10/2018 9:28 am
Topic starter

Hi

It says this:

Only Midi and Midi1 are back in the register. I don´nt know how to save the changes there.

Here the screen shot you asked me:

Posted : 13/10/2018 10:01 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Yamaha's latest drivers should all be signed. Your last screenshot with signature complaints was for a non-Yamaha driver. Although I do recognize a previous screenshot you showed was a Yamaha driver. There was a non-Yamaha Steinberg USB driver that was installed that is hopefully removed by now.

Ignoring driver signature checks, as far as your latest screenshots, seems more about improving the environment for something outside of MODX's environment than anything else. Perhaps track down if there is a driver update for whatever that Virtual USB driver is.

At some point one does need to ask the question if a machine is too "polluted" to make a reasonable host for audio applications and if it would be worthwhile to backup then restore the operating system to an initialized (fresh install) state. Windows 7 has the facility to wipe everything and start as if you had just installed the OS. This should certainly provide you with a stable platform which accepts the correct drivers and software without any headaches.

It's a fairly drastic suggestion - I can understand not wanting to go that far.

Posted : 14/10/2018 5:26 am
Topic starter

Jason... this Virtual USB screen shot is only an EXAMPLE in English language because Bad Mister asked it me.

This is the real one in Dutch language. To my computer Win 7 64 eyes, is the MODX driver unsigned.

Posted : 14/10/2018 6:32 am
Topic starter

And I would like to add that I am beginning to be tired of this story.

I paid 1,200 euros for a synthesizer and I can not connect it to a Windows 7. I do not understand anything about computers. I just want to download the driver, just like I did with the Motif XF and many other machines and that it works. So simple.Well, this is not the case with the MODX!

Posted : 14/10/2018 6:37 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

If driver signing fixes your issue and you're OK with that - then you can permanently disable driver signing checks.

http://en.miui.com/thread-237673-1-1.html

Posted : 14/10/2018 6:52 am
Bad Mister

I do not understand anything about computers. I just want to download the driver, just like I did with the Motif XF and many other machines and that it works. So simple.Well, this is not the case with the MODX!

It is very simple for 99% of users... you are asked at some point to go ahead and trust Yamaha Steinberg as your driver, if you say no, well that is your prerogative. However, most folks go ahead and trust the driver and it installs and works every time they need it. (Actually this driver is more easily installed than the one for the Motif XF.)

Really, if you are having an issue, although the MODX is the reason you must install the driver, I must say this is not near as complicated as you are making it. And so far it’s not a MODX issue. You are using Windows 7 - which has its quirks (like all computer operating systems) but read carefully the items as they pop-up during the installation. If you are sure you got the Driver download from the official Yamaha site, take a leap of faith and opt to “trust” the driver manufacturer.

If you queried MicroSoft during all of this, you would find that the 10 device limit is clearly a Windows issue (not your MODX’s fault)... and that the “driver signing” issue is an option most likely you can solve by trusting the company’s download during the installation process.

You will need to learn a little about computers (at least enough to not get frustrated with your instrument, it’s just sitting there waiting for you to connect) to get the most out of them both. A great resource would be Sound on Sound (the magazine) they often have articles on tuning up your computer so that issues dealing with making music are standard fare. See their website www.soundonsound.com

Use the Search feature for relavent articles...

And let me apologize, we are not computer support experts here, either... for example, I cannot be sure that the Driver Signing issue you are having is a regional or universal issue. Different countries can/may have different requirements. So my suggestion to contact regional support is not to duck the question, but hopefully to put you in touch with support people familiar with computers and issues in your area. I cannot be sure what security measures are in place that would cause you to have reinstall the driver every time (I’ve never heard of such a thing) that is worth a query to your computer support place... there is certainly a way to solve that issue, in all likelihood.

Really, the only setting you need make on the MODX is MIDI I/O = USB

Posted : 14/10/2018 8:55 am
Topic starter

To be honest, I had not set my mind to check the trust box. Just out of curiosity, I have uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it, this time by clicking on the trust box. It still does not work, unfortunately.

I hope I have not bothered you too much and I hope that I will be allowed to create new threads with some other things that I do not like or not understand about MODX (like the USB noise)

Posted : 14/10/2018 1:02 pm
 Axel

I recommend you update windows, if you have invested a money in a ship of last generation as MODX, I recommend you use it with good gasoline, Win 7 (from October 22, 2009).... is OK but Windows 10 is what you need, do not throw diesel to the Ferrari ... nooooo 🙂 😮 😀

Posted : 30/10/2018 9:27 pm
Bad Mister

I agree, but there should be no reason why even with old (Win7) that this should not work. The computer has an issue, it is not the MODX, it is likely not the driver (we simply have too many working instances worldwide)... Its a computer issue.

You should try to contact someone in your country who can help you with basic Windows issues. When you installed Cubase, you created a MySteinberg Account. They will be able to help you with basic Windows 7 issues and getting your Drivers installed around the warnings and trust issues

Question: Is this picture from your computer? That is a picture of a WORKING DRIVER!!!

Posted : 30/10/2018 9:41 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us