Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MODX with Existing USB Interface: Monitoring

17 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I understand the MODX series have built in audio interfaces. I'm trying to understand how I might incorporate a MODX instrument into my setup, specifically, how would monitoring work?

Currently, I run a PC with Windows 10 and a MOTU M2 USB interface.

My monitors accept either 1/4" or XLR balanced input. Currently, they're connected via 1/4" TRS cables coming from the TRS line outs of my MOTU M2.

I haven't settled on a DAW but use the following in this order: Ableton Live 10 Lite, Reaper (Demo), FL Studio (Demo), Performer Lite (almost never).

I record vocals and guitar through the MOTU M2's 2 combo mic/line inputs. I have an existing USB MIDI controller (Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol A61) that shows up as an input in the DAWs I use, that I can play and record VSTs from. I'm considering the MODX as an upgrade to the A61.

I'd like the MOTU M2 and MODX to coexist, possibly along with my A61, each sending their output to my one pair of monitors, potentially simultaneously.

How will monitoring work when a MODX is installed? I can imagine a few scenarios:

1) Somehow it will magically work with the MODX USB interface and software configuration. Perhaps by selecting the MOTU M2's outputs as output for the MODX via software routing?

2) I could use a small mixer to send the MODX outputs and the MOTU M2 outputs to my monitors. Does the MODX USB interface send audio and MIDI to the DAW (if not this scenario might preclude getting audio into the DAW)?

3) I could send the output(s) of the MODX to the input(s) of the MOTU M2. This is less than ideal for me as I might want to be using them for vocals and/or guitar (or at least not have to unplug things)?

I want to play and record VSTs via the MODX as well as the onboard MODX voices in my DAW, I think these posts have good info:

- https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?p=222109&sid=2e3e5cf955c9abdcdfd03af888da2021#p222109
- https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/daw-computer-setup

the second one seems to suggest the scenario recommended for sharing monitors is 3 - perhaps I need an interface with more inputs?

One thing I forgot to mention, my MOTU M2 also has MIDI in/out - so perhaps this opens an option up ...

Thanks for your help!

Posted : 08/02/2021 12:14 am
Topic starter

I've been thinking about this and surmise a DAW can use only one audio interface at a time. In this case, does it make sense to use the MODX as my audio interface only when recording its MIDI and audio, using the MOTU M2 when overlaying/recording guitars/vocals, etc.?

When recording the MODX, is there a disadvantage to not using the MODX's built-in audio interface - i.e. record MODX via the M2's ins and its MIDI via the MODX's USB (is this possible) or via the M2's MIDI in?

If using both MODX & M2 interfaces, does a small mixer to avoid unplugging monitor cables make sense? Or, would a monitor selector (something like the Mackie Big Knob) make more sense?

Would it make sense to use the MODX as my exclusive audio interface, removing the M2 from my setup? It looks like the MODX has 1 left and 1 right 1/4" in (or 1 stereo?). Do these have preamps? Would it work/make sense to put a mixer in front of this to expand inputs into the MODX?

If continuing to use the M2, I could put a mixer in front of it as well. I expect mixers can do cool things that I have no experience with (i.e., send, insert, multiple out options, etc.) expanding the possibilities for integrating things greatly. I appreciate any suggestions for how to get an efficient setup working, keeping in mind, I want to use one set of monitors, have the ability to record vocals, guitar, my other MIDI controller, and the MODX, among possible others inputs. I'm open to removing or replacing the M2, and any other suggestions.

Posted : 08/02/2021 2:45 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Using your MODX's audio interface gives you the advantage of routing multiple digital outputs from MODX to your computer. If you use another audio interface instead, you will be routing only two outputs (Main L&R) connected through analog cables to your M2.

If this is fine - you are not needing multiple digital audio outputs from MODX - then using the M2 as you use it today works fine.

Or, you could move your other instruments (guitar, vocals, etc) to MODX's A/D input by using a mixer as an input to MODX. The M2 works in standalone mode without a computer and serves as a mixer.

Source: https://motu.com/marketing/brief_product_descriptions/audio-interfaces/view?searchterm=plug%20ins

Stand-alone operation

With a standard USB-C power adapter, the M2 can be used as a stand-alone preamp and basic mixer, with no host computer required. Simply engage the monitor button for each input (and 48V phantom power, if needed) and adjust the preamp gain as needed. Connect the main outs to any line level destination, such as a PA or patch bay.

Already MODX has two channels of inputs - so I'm not sure if it's altogether necessary to add anything to record guitar and/or vocals through MODX's audio interface using A/D inputs. If you need to expand past that - you may consider a mixer (with more than 2 channels) as an input to MODX.

You have choices - depends on what you ultimately want to do.

Posted : 08/02/2021 5:14 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for the info about the benefits of using the MODX interface. It seems to come down to the ins and outs available and that it's purpose built for use with the MODX in this and possibly other respects.

I'm not sure I would need so many ins/outs to start, but good to know this is the key benefit.

Also good to know the MOTU M2 can be used as a standalone mixer, I had no idea. I don't think it would add much to the MODX except the 2 combo jacks and input gain controls. There are still only 2 ins + the MIDI in and out. I don't know if the M2 MIDI in/out would work standalone or be helpful in my case?

Using the M2 as a mixer to the MODX would seem to provide M2's input functionality and gain control, but I'd lose the monitoring level and headphone level controls. Does the MODX provide these controls? If so, are they physical or menu driven?

This setup would seem to allow everything to use one set of monitors fed by MODX's outs, allowing me to also record my guitar, vocals, etc. via MODX.

Since my monitors expect a balanced signal coming in, is this a big deal? MODX into a mixer before the monitors would handle this. It would also allow me to share the monitors with a separate interface.

I'm leaning to using both interfaces, sharing the monitors via a switch like Mackie Big Knob or a small mixer, for balanced input to my monitors, and using the MODX interface when using the MODX, and using the M2 interface when recording guitars and vocals.

I'm interested to know what others are doing.

Posted : 08/02/2021 6:34 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Take a look at your monitor specs. The HS8s I use are compatible with either balanced or unbalanced. From the HS8 spec sheet:

XLR and TRS phone jack inputs accept balanced or unbalanced signals

I'm not sure at all what you have in terms of the monitors. All I am saying is that they may or may not state that unbalanced connections are supported/compatible.

For my monitors, I would not hesitate to go straight-in with the MODX.

I am not sure you would need to use the M2's MIDI input. You can if you want - but there seems to be little benefit unless you want to split your MIDI bus. Even if you choose an audio interface which is not MODX's - the MODX MIDI interface remains available. There is a limit to audio connections - not MIDI.

Posted : 08/02/2021 10:33 pm

Hello 🙂
I have similar situation and question.

If I connect unbalanced Modx to balanced usb audio interface then interface to balanced monitors it will be ok?

Sound will be hear and record 100% propertly?

What cable TS or TRS I must use in this chane to be 100% propertly and to have propertly sound quality?

Please help...

EDIT:

Interface: Audient ID44
Monitors: Adam A7X

Posted : 08/03/2021 12:17 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Your Audient ID44 outputs are running XLR from Audient to the Adams. The front of the ID44 on the left side has 2 DI inputs that accept TS cables. Use those. Run TS cables. Keep the length as short as necessary to span the distance between your MODX and the Audient. This reduces the likelihood that the cables will pick up noise by running past "aggressors". Things like power cables or other noise sources. Short runs also reduces the resistance which can attenuate the signal.

MODX doesn't have TRS outputs - so there is no reason to use TRS cables for MODX connecting to anything else.

The Adams only have XLR and RCA - so essentially only XLR since RCA (consumer grade stuff) should not be used for anything here. Your Audient provides the correct go-between for TS to XLR.

Posted : 08/03/2021 9:15 pm

Thank you very very much for help.

Please tell me:

You recommend in my situation to record Modx in this way or simply via synth USB to the computer USB?
I would like to have best possible sound from Modx (rich dynamic, harmonic etc.). With way I should go?

https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/id44/tech-specs/

Can I use two of my 10ft guitar cables?
Or even very short patch cables from my guitar pedalboard?

https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/cables/instrument/american-stage-instrument-cable/

https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/cables/patch/american-stage-14-patch-cable-6-inches/

Or maybe I should use dedicated synth TS cables if they exist?
Not very very much expensive of course...

Posted : 09/03/2021 12:14 pm
Bad Mister

You recommend in my situation to record Modx in this way or simply via synth USB to the computer USB?

You have the gear. What a great opportunity to test the results. Since you own the gear, you owe it to yourself to experiment. Do a project using each setup. Once you get into this setting up becomes easy (believe it or not — what seems such a head scratcher the first few times becomes like second nature, trust me).

Learn to use both setups.
Decide which works best for you.

The difference:
Using the MODX USB Outputs gives you a total of 10 simultaneous Audio bus outputs: Main L/R, plus 4 stereo pairs (1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8)
These odd/even stereo pairs can be set as mono buses when you desire.

Using the external Audio Interface means your recording from the MODX will be limited to just the Main (analog) L/R.

How this affects your workflow will vary depending on how you like/need to work.

A word about cables:
Balanced cables are not more professional than unbalanced cables. Cables are wires, connectors — the person using the cables is the “professional”.
Unbalanced cables are fine for short audio runs (20 feet or less) — when an unbalanced cable gets longer than 30 feet, it becomes a good antenna and it will start to pick up random radio frequency interference. The same thing happens with Balanced cables of a similar length, but because there is a hot, a cold and a ground, the radio frequencies get into both the hot and cold and are cancelled out when they reach the destination... thus avoiding interference.

Never use coiled (curlicue) signal cable (it is way longer than you think and is a good antenna) they sell that stuff to guitar players. lol.

10 feet is well within the distance recommended for unbalanced use.

Posted : 09/03/2021 5:42 pm

I will check two options when I buy this gear.
I must finish my studio first and buy Modx8 soon.
I think Montage8 for my analog recordings would be great but I don't have extra money unfortunately.

For now I have Moxf6 and I tried to record piano on my Zoom Q8:

https://images.app.goo.gl/XAJ2sn7VsxHuo6Do7

"Two mic/line inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors "

I tried by two of my TS guitar cables but sound was quiet and above 3/10 on each input were crackles. I tried also - 6db on Moxf but was the same. Sound was quiet and thin...

Please tell me:

Is possible to record Moxf on Q8 louder without crankles and more full sound?

Should I hard pan left and hard pan right on Q8 and it will be fine or it doesn't help and correct record is impossible on Q8?

Louder and fuller piano sound I recorded on my LG G7 phone (recorded old Technics EH 500 music tower):

https://youtu.be/xDGCavUoZN4

I recorded my guitar combo on the same Zoom Q8 by two mics on that inputs and was rather ok:

https://youtu.be/sBBJQ5cbacI

https://youtu.be/-es3Onc15MQ

https://youtu.be/nUHXJWequts

https://youtu.be/G79fqv3t6Vs

https://youtu.be/KM2w5qb9QeQ

https://youtu.be/LfmbZEWhRNs

Posted : 11/03/2021 11:02 pm
Bad Mister

Is possible to record Moxf on Q8 louder without crankles and more full sound?

Should I hard pan left and hard pan right on Q8 and it will be fine or it doesn't help and correct record is impossible on Q8?

Your questions are really about operating your recorder (not your instrument). “Quiet” is not a word used when recording from the source to the recorder... quiet is a subjective view of how loud something is in speakers.

You are recording to a hand held recorder. “Quiet” describes the playback volume. The cure for “quiet” is always turn up the playback volume.

What you want to perfect is the “record gain” — the better your record level the better your results. A properly recorded signal is easier to playback loud, without crackling.
Replace “quiet” with some kind of scientific measurement. Use your recorders METERS.

Sorry I don’t have your recorder but typically they have record meters. Show this in your videos.

You want to adjust your record gain to get proper record level, proper record level, when played back should give excellent results.

Crackles are an indication of operator error... these can be caused by improper record settings.... if you are getting (as you indicate “quiet” (sic) results, then it is unlikely that the signal is overloading the input (one typical cause of crackling). But too much signal is only one possible cause of crackles, and is unlikely your cause.

Unfortunately, none of your many video Examples plays us the crackles, nor do they show us the the synth connected to the recorder, non of them show the Metering options on your recorder device.

I suggest you contact ZOOM and check on the recommended settings for recording LINE Level Outs directly to the unit.
I know folks who have gotten stellar result from handheld recorders and their synthesizers.

Posted : 12/03/2021 7:50 am

Thank you very much.

I didn't upload this crackles video. Piano sounded also very centered not wide like normal sounds of Moxf from headphones.

I was thinking that was caused of Q8 TRS input and Moxf TS. When I recorded guitar combos by mics 6/10 Q8 volume and normalize sound there was not as many crackles and sound was more space in headphones.

I will try hard pan left and right synth on Q8 and maybe I may record on 6/10 instead of 3/10 Q8 without crackles becouse it will be wide not centered (btw when I recorded I always had green meters).

Posted : 12/03/2021 9:49 am
Bad Mister

I was thinking that was caused of Q8 TRS input and Moxf TS. When I recorded guitar combos by mics 6/10 Q8 volume and normalize sound there was not as many crackles and sound was more space in headphones.

I’m sorry, I don’t know your recorder or what “6/10 Q8 volume” means — that’s like a foreign language to me... what does it mean?

And any crackles, even little ones, point to a big problem!!! “...not as many crackles...” is STILL unacceptable!!!

Please consult your recorders documentation.
You should be striving for pristine recording... not even one crackle.

TS Output to TRS Inputs does not cause crackles.
Crackles can be caused by OVERLOAD which is too much signal... but this is not your problem
Again I’ll mention it because it will help — Learn to use your RECORD METERING. It will help you determine the origin of your issues. If they were always green, yes, you said it was “quiet” — all the more reason the crackles are probably NOT overloading... which means you have a more serious problem.

What frequency rate are you recording at?
What type of file are you generating? .Wav, mp3, other???
All these questions will be answered by your Recorder’s “Owner’s Manual” or by contacting the manufacturer.
What are you playing it back through?

Contact the manufacturer. They will not know what a MODX is, and they do not need to know; all they need to know is you want to do a “direct stereo recording, using two (2) unbalanced Line Level cables, the Output is going to be +0dB or +6dB.”

Posted : 12/03/2021 1:08 pm

I'm sorry I should be clearer.
6/10 means 60% of recording volume on input 1 and 2 on Zoom Q8 - round knobs 1 and 2:

https://images.app.goo.gl/csYJJQZDMvWV994K6

I recorded one mov file: contains two wav 48khz/24 bit.
I listened when I was playing by old Technics music tower.
It was Concert Grand Piano on Moxf without any editing.
Record also any editing.

This recording was made by phone:
and I choose them:
https://youtu.be/xDGCavUoZN4

This recording (the same take) was made by Zoom Q8 as I wrote above:
and this recorded piano sounds less energy and not full and space as when I listen it from Moxf while playing by speakers or headphones:
https://youtu.be/_umwe53tR8w

This is the same, only one edition in handy share zoom computer program after recording:
normalization full scale 0db:
https://youtu.be/YfXM9QX5Q6o

I think any later sound edition doesn't help to this...

Posted : 13/03/2021 12:36 am
Bad Mister

Again, your issue is with setting up and recording to your Zoom Q8 — not the synthesizer...

I cannot really help you - the videos really don’t help (as they don’t show your record setup, your level meters, etc.)
That would be helpful. I can only give you General help — you should contact ZOOM or your music store for specifics. They will not know what a MOXF is but that is not important... you just need to say you are recording a keyboard, stereo unbalanced outputs, Line level signal... and you want to know how to configure your camera/recorder.

I listened when I was playing by old Technics music tower.

Hopefully in headphones... if you do not use headphones, your recorder may be recording BOTH the microphones and the LINE input — this will make your recording sound STRANGE. Do not play speakers near any microphones (are you sure the camera’s microphones are OFF? They NEED to be OFF when recording to the LINE inputs.

REMEMBER - if there are live microphones in the room with active speakers this is BAD, very BAD for your recording.
When using a camera with a built in audio recorder you must be sure the built in Mics are either turned OFF, or you need to be in a Silent room (no speakers allowed!!! Headphones Only!

General Knowledge:
There is no such thing as Recording Volume... it’s “recording level” or “record gain”
Anything marked “Volume” is playback volume - volume goes to speakers or headphones... the Volume settings on your recorder device do not influence the actual recording... only playback.

Record Level (Gain) is the signal that is being recorded.
Volume is the signal after it has been recorded.

In other words, if Volume is Off or set to 0, it will have no influence, good or bad, on your recording. Volume only affects Playback.

What you want to ensure is that the Inputs are set for LINE level signal (as opposed to MIC Level)
Microphones are very, very weak signal
Your Synth is considered LINE level - a much stronger output level.
Stereo means you need to send one channel hard left and the other hard right.
Make sure Phantom Power is OFF

Contact ZOOM!

Posted : 13/03/2021 3:17 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us