Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

No sound in the DAW monitors from MODX

43 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'm not familiar with Studio One - so not sure why there are two MODX external devices listed. Under different DAW software, this may be for Port-1 and Port-3. If your firmware is old enough - there wouldn't be a Port-2 (but MODX now has 3 Ports with the latest firmware). And ... I'm not sure at all if these two MODX external instances are for different ports or not

It's always 2 of the same device in Studio one for reasons I do not understand. In this 1st pic, you can see two MODxs and two MPKs although I have only one of each of those boards. Even if I could make sense of why StudiOne needs to list them twice, such as one for sending and another for receiving, this theory falls flat when you open each one to edit it, and each one has a send and a receive. That means there are 2 receives and 2 sends. OK, be that as it may, I am not understanding what I should select in these boxes because I don't understand the logic behind the available options for send/receives. What does it mean to Receive from MODX1 and Send toMODX2 or 3? I have no idea. I just tried all the combinations randomly with no success. The 2nd pic shows the available options for send/receives. To me, it would make sense if it would say "Receive from MODX and Send to StudioOne or to DAW", but there's no such option as you can see.

Attached files

Posted : 04/06/2022 11:30 pm
Topic starter

Ok, and of course when armed and recording it would only record MIDI as an instrument track. And only on MIDI channel 1. I'm not sure if you have the keyboard in single or multi-channel mode but I'll assume multi-channel with a 50/50 chance (multi-channel is the default). This would mean CH:1 recording would be Part 1 (... assuming you didn't change MIDI transmit channels using Zone control -- which is probably not likely because that's not default behavior either). Even if no sound is coming out when you play (which is possible - but I think you're saying this working fine) -- MIDI messages should still be spilling out of CH:1.

Yes, I haven't changed anything so probably I have all default settings. I chose other MIDI channels in the track and nothing.

Posted : 04/06/2022 11:32 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Your MIDI setup is not correct. You want to edit the MODX configuration you're going to use and have the Send To set MODX-1 and Receive From set to MODX-1.

MODX-2 is for transport controls -- something I doubt you're going to utilize right now and MODX-3 is to communicate through USB out to the 5-pin DIN connections. This allows presenting 5-pin MIDI DIN connected devices to your DAW in USB mode. Something I doubt you necessarily need right now.

So I can say absolutely your problem is in the screenshot that shows both of your MODX instances have an invalid "Send To" port for what you're trying to do. I see the icon is different between the two I don't know if that has any relevance. I can say I would select the "All" channel button on receive like the other instance shows.

Lets start there - getting MODX-1 as send and receive and making sure you can select the right one that's properly configured. I would edit the "Device Name" so each is different in order to help pick the "right" MODX configuration.

Nuts and bolts what I'd do is take both MODX instances and set the send/receive to MODX-1 then name one of them MODX8a and the other MODX8b just to help differentiate. Or maybe names that speak more to you -- definitely different names.

Education-wise, it's important to internalize that MODX-# refers to a USB port number and that what these ports mean:

MODX-1 (port 1) = MODX's tone generator and local controls
MODX-2 (port 2) = MODX's transport controls. There's a DAW remote mode which would utilize these.
MODX-3 (port 3) = MODX's connection from USB to the 5-pin DIN connected devices

https://www.yamahasynth.com/learn/modx/mastering-modx-midi-settings-explained
The above link summarizes as follows:

There are 3 Ports on MIDI IN/OUTs via the USB connection:
Port 1 - used by the MODX internal tone generator for music performing (note-ons, controllers, tempo);
Port 2 - is used for Remote Control commands between the front panel of the hardware and DAW software;
Port 3 - connect one external device via standard 5-pin MIDI I/O Ports. Items routed from the computer on "MODX Port 3" will be passed through the MODX and go OUT the 5-pin jack on the back panel. And conversely, any information arriving at the 5-pin MIDI IN of the MODX will be routed through to the DAW as "MODX Port 3".

Important Note: If you select MIDI I/O = USB, MODX will send and receive via the USB connection; while the 5-pin MIDI IN/OUT jacks will allow you to connect an external device discreetly to the computer (as port 3). Therefore, it is NOT that the 5-pin MIDI ports don't work when you select MIDI I/O = USB, they work to address one external device (both IN/OUT, to and from the computer). You can trigger that device by looping the signal through the computer: Port 1 In to Port 3 Out.

Posted : 05/06/2022 1:46 am
Member Admin

Audio... you want to record AUDIO... right?

Not MIDI?

Recording Audio is a significantly different process to recording MIDI.

MODX doesn't make this easy. I'm somewhat familiar with computers, and rarely get this working right with PC and DAW. And the connectivity is fickle, to say the very least.

Get a Windows update and the fun begins all over again.

But have no trouble getting it to work with the old version of Cubasis on iPad, if this is an Audio record option. If aiming at a Mac, I do this with iCloud and forget about the pain of a "real" DAW and Audio recording of MODX.

If you want a workflow that I can suggest isn't a nightmare, and allows you to think of how you use Studio One as it is, reliably with plugins (changing it to MODX Audio recording and back again is also fraught with problems), I'd strongly suggest recording Audio of MODX with Reaper, and then bringing those Audio files into Studio One to do your song making with the plugins etc.

Reaper is the most customisable of the DAWs, largely because that's how they think - users do the setup. This is mostly annoying, but for things like recording Audio from MODX, it means there are a set of things to do, that are completely always under your control - you know it's on you - there is no magic sauce at work.

Reaper has a good trial period, and is very, very cheap if you like using it for Audio (I do, it's fast and light - the download and install size is so small it will stun you).

Posted : 05/06/2022 2:08 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I pointed out that these tracks are not correct for audio. The track would have an icon of a sine wave going above and below the zero for the track. Those are audio tracks. I didn't get a response for those so I assume MIDI is part of the mix here. I agree that audio was stated as a goal - but this setup is pretty far from that without audio tracks.

For MIDI - it isn't correct. So I'm just dealing with what's in front of us right now.

Posted : 05/06/2022 2:16 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

@Adrian , the USB recording works reliably and of course you can continue using Studio One or any DAW you want, but you have to understand the routing.

You need to set the MODX as your AUDIO INTERFACE if you want to record AUDIO directly from it.

Page 8 in the PDF (6 on the page) of the QuickStart guide:
https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/pdf/Studio_One_5_Quick_Start_Guide_EN_02072020.pdf

and in the Reference Manual, Setup>Audio Device Setup (PDF page 18, number on page: 12):
https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/pdf/Studio_One_5.5_Reference_Manual_EN_20052022.pdf

Posted : 05/06/2022 8:44 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=117185]

Page 12 of the QuickStart guide:

I think you meant page 6. There is no page 12 at that link. Or maybe you were using a different doc or version than what you posted?[/quotePost]
Right you are.

Posted : 05/06/2022 6:07 pm
Topic starter

I set the sent/receive to MODX1 for both MODx instances as suggested wi the same result. no sound. I also got this message: "This port is already in use. Connecting multiple devices to the same port may lead to copied transmission of MIDI events." Ignored it.

I am aware audio tracks are different from instrument tracks:

There are two track types relevant to me: Instrument track, meant for MIDI instrument or Virtual instrument, or Audio track which is for wave information received from an audio interface.

The reason I am using an instrument track is that I use a USB cable from MODX to the computer, not an audio cable (TRS). The reason for that is:

So with Tascam, I would have to use an audio cable going out of MODX and the sound is 10 times worse compared to USB. I understand this is because the MODX doesn't have balanced outs. Fine.
I do know that sound generated by MODX can be recorded via USB cable in my computer DAW because I've done it before. I don't know the reason it worked but it did.

I get the impression that someone is saying only MIDI data can be sent through USB and to record audio I need to use TRS cable and an interface (which is what I'm trying to avoid, using TRS). So I'd like to make sure I understand this clearly now. Can audio be recorded via the USB cable?

If you are saying that audio can be recorded via USB and I should use an audio track, I've tried that. The audio track shows recorded graphics when I play but no playback sound. Actually, both, - instrument tracks with Virtual Instruments on them, and the audio track have activity meters lit. Stuff is being recorded, instrument tracks show midi form and the audio track shows graphics but no sound.
I think something is not configured right with sound coming back to the MODX's soundcard. All I can hear is the MODX-generated tone when I play/record. I don't hear anything in playback, - neither virtual instruments nor MODx tones.

Posted : 06/06/2022 10:47 pm
Topic starter

You need to set the MODX as your AUDIO INTERFACE if you want to record AUDIO directly from it.

I thought that's what I was doing when I selected the Yamaha Steinberg driver in S1 audio device setup. OK, so that's what I'm trying to do. I'll give a read and report back. Thanks!

Posted : 06/06/2022 11:05 pm
Topic starter

That raises the question of what other devices you have that are using port 1.

Have you tried disconnecting ALL devices except the MODX to see if you can get that config working?

Thank's the thing, I disconnected all my other devices. The only thing connected is the MODX

Posted : 06/06/2022 11:08 pm
Topic starter

@Dragos
I re-read the steps on setting-up the MIDI Keyboard in the Studio1. The quick_start_guide says in step 5:

Specify the device to which the Keyboard is sending and the device from which it is
receiving via Studio One. Select your device driver name from the drop-down menu
for both Receive From and Send To.

I assume this is the MODX1 that I selected in both send to and receive from boxes.
Step 6 talks about checking the box to have MODX as the default instrument. I did that.

Page 18 of the Reference manual, in steps 2 & 3, it talks about choosing your playback device. I did that and it shows Yamaha Steinberg USB in the Audio Device box.
I don't know what else I could do except maybe if I need to change some setting in the MODX itself to tell it to receive audio back from the computer if that's not the default behavior.

Posted : 06/06/2022 11:35 pm
Member Admin

Top left corner of your MODX are three volume control knobs.

The top left of these is MODX Volume. Make sure the other two are at half way mark.

And turn on the switch underneath it, just to be sure...

Posted : 07/06/2022 12:36 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

You are going to have an audio track to record audio. You may have some misconceptions about what that means. Audio doesn't mean an XLR or 1/4 inch carries audio. It means recording something you can hear. You consume audio through your ears. That's audio. It doesn't matter what cable delivers it. Even when going through your Tascam did you have an "audio cable" connected direct to the computer? No. Tascam is an audio interface and connects to your PC with USB. Just like Montage. Montage has a mixer and audio interface integrated so you don't see the cables. But still, that's audio.

MIDI is just digital sheet music. It tells the keyboard what to do and play but when you hold sheet music to your ear it doesn't make a sound. It's a map of how to make sounds.

The tracks you're dealing with now are MIDI. If you sorted them the tracks would record the notes you play and dials you turn. When you play a MIDI track back to Montage, Montage turns into a player piano with the DAW providing the piano roll.

The default for Montage is to send and receive audio through USB when connect and USB is enabled. You'll see a blue USB icon in the top row of your Montage instead of a circle with dots.

After you add an audio track you will have a choice of channels to record. 32 different ones. Pick (this is DAW configuration) Main L and Main R. That's the default output channel for Presets after recalling them.

You need to select Montage as your audio interface in the DAW to hear audio playback.

You do not need to do this to have MIDI tell Montage to play what it is told to from a MIDI track.

Posted : 07/06/2022 12:38 am
Topic starter

Ok, it's working. Thanks, Andrew for pointing out the monitor knobs. It was turned off... >_<
I also figured out why the error message This port is already in use came up. The two instances of the instrument are more like one is for receiving and another for sending. It doesn't make sense because each instance has its own send /receive set. But when you select the same port for the send that you already have in the other instance you get this error. So I put it like this (see 1st pic) instead of on all of send/receive (2nd pic).

Thank you all very much!

Attached files

Posted : 07/06/2022 1:44 am
Topic starter

Just wondering why the audio recording is somewhat softer than when I play though. Is that normal? I turned the volume all the way up on the audio channel and even the highs and lows on the recording are a bit different compared to when I play. Sounds more meaty/present when I play, compared to the playback.

Also wondering if the Cubase forum requires owning a device to post on any topic and have full access. I went to the PreSonus forum and there are 4 levels of membership. You have to own one of their devices beyond having StudioOne to be able to ask questions/post comments in certain topic areas. So, I can't get help learning the DAW unless I buy their gear also? I might buy more of their gear if I like StudioOne and not have to waste 1/2 day to find a button and have no one to ask. When I asked questions directly on PreSonus' website, they told me to go learn on the forums...

I need to learn the DAW and somehow Studio1 doesn't seem very intuitive to me despite them saying it's the most intuitive DAW out there; that coupled with levels of membership to be able to ask questions it's not the best user-friendly way to move along at a reasonable pace learning & fixing issues and finding answers.
I wonder if Cubase is perhaps better on both of those fronts? Plus here more people seem to be more familiar with it than with S1. I'm willing to give it a try.
Thanks.

Posted : 07/06/2022 2:02 am
Page 2 / 3
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us