Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Programming faders

17 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi out there, I’ve hit a dead end trying to resolve an issue; hopefully you guys can help. I’m basically trying to set the faders to adjust the volume for parts 1-4. Simple.
Currently they’re set to work parts 5-8. I’ve went through the obvious steps of toggling the PART/ELEMENT button and the 1-4, 5-8 buttons. I’ve opened the MOTION CONTROL > OVERVIEW page and tried to assign it from there. When I have “Part” and “1-4” highlighted the drop info screen that pops up has the volume value in parentheses:
Part 1 Voulme : (127)
I’ve read another post about a similar issue. The problem there was assignable knobs where set to control volume overriding the faders; not the case here.
I built my patches from the same starting template so the problem exist on all of them.
On the Overview page I can assign the sliders between 5-8,9-12,14-16; but when I try to bring them to 1-4 the orange lines disappear.
Don’t know what else to do..... thanks in advance for an help.

Posted : 04/02/2019 12:02 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

For PARTs 1-4, what is the "Receive Sw" for Exp/Vol set to?

https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question?controller=attachment&task=download&tmpl=component&id=961

In this picture, the volume/expression receive is turned off. This would also disable the slider control. See if your PARTs 1-4 also have this set off. If so. you'll need to turn this back on in order to enable the sliders.

Posted : 04/02/2019 2:05 am
Bad Mister

Currently they’re set to work parts 5-8. I’ve went through the obvious steps of toggling the PART/ELEMENT button and the 1-4, 5-8 buttons. I’ve opened the MOTION CONTROL > OVERVIEW page and tried to assign it from there. When I have “Part” and “1-4” highlighted the drop info screen that pops up has the volume value in parentheses:
Part 1 Voulme : (127)
I’ve read another post about a similar issue. The problem there was assignable knobs where set to control volume overriding the faders; not the case here...

...On the Overview page I can assign the sliders between 5-8,9-12,14-16; but when I try to bring them to 1-4 the orange lines disappear.

Actually, all signals are that this is exactly what is happening here. When Part Volume is not assigned to the Faders, the Faders will disappear in the “Overview” screen. When the value appears in parenthesis this is another indicator of the parameter’s control being “greyed out”.

The FADER function does not appear because the RECEIVE SWITCH for VOLUME/EXPRESSION has been turned OFF for the PART.
The OVERVIEW screen will give you an accurate overview for all 16 Parts and the COMMON assignments.

FYI: We will be starting the MODXification of Motif XF series sounds, as we did with MONTAGE, updating them for MODX so that the explorations dive into important programming areas such as this. We use the “Overview” screen as an ‘exploration guide’ as you can take a shortcut directly to the Part assignment from this screen.

You noticed the Faders are missing. There are times when you don’t want the Fader to Control a Part. Them being missing is a clear indication they have been switched Off. By deactivating the RECEIVE SWITCH for Volume/Expression, the value of the Part in question will remain fixed at the programmed volume at all times.

We should make clear the difference: when Part Volume is assigned to an Assign Knob it does not necessarily prevent the control of the Fader... nor do the Faders disappear from the “Overview” graphic. The Fader simply is not the only controller influencing the Part Volume. Whether or not it completely, or only partially, influences the Part Volume, is programmable. Some times you want the Assign Knob to be available for a little boost or cut in level, other times you want full control of the Part Volume on another controller.

This makes it quite different from deactivating the “Vol/Exp” Receive Switch, which prevents the Part from responding to any change in Part Volume, completely.

Posted : 04/02/2019 3:09 am
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply guys... I’m not in front of the board at the moment but I def. have Expression pedal (Rec. Sw.) off for parts in almost all performances. In the heat of the moment, the option to adjust volumes between parts is definitely invaluable. I’m assuming the work around would be to assign the Volume to the knobs; which for my situation would make the sliders obsolete; mainly cause you can’t assign any other parameters besides elements/operators. Hopefully the MODXification mentioned will open up some options in this regard.

While I’m here I have another head scratcher....Is there a way to replace a voice inside of a performance with out completely carrying over all of the parameters such as Note limit, Pitch, etc from the performance it’s coming from?....my real life scenario: on the gig, I had a Rhodes/ Organ split w/ the expression pedal controlling the volume of the
Organ. I wasn’t digging the Rhodes for a particular song so decided to grab another. What happened was what I assumed; all parameters carried over. Train wreck. Lol....so, is there a way to just grab the voice and not the other parameters? I’m migrating from the ES and did this on a regular; is there a way to do something similar on the MODX?
Learning new things daily on this board but, these two issues have slowed me down considerably. Thanks guys....

Posted : 04/02/2019 4:50 am
Bad Mister

Is there a way to replace a voice inside of a performance with out completely carrying over all of the parameters such as Note limit, Pitch, etc from the performance it’s coming from?

There is a way to replace a Part inside a Performance without carrying over the “Mixing” programming from its previous home. You can have it inherit your current Performance settings by ‘opting out’ on that option.

Background
When you seek to *replace* an existing Part within a Performance, the “Part Category Search” function is used (there are three different Category Searches for sound programs in the MODX).
One replaces the entire Performance: “Performance Category Search”
The second combines Performances: “Performance Merge”
The third *replaces* an existing Part: “Part Category Search”

Each is activated by a different, context sensitive, entry point. Each is identified on the top line of the screen.

Parameters with Part
It is this third one that offers you the options of what gets copied and what gets inherited: “Parameters with Part”
Mixing, Arp/Motion Seq, Scene, and Zone (if active) are the options. Green is opting in, grey is opting out.
Set the ATTRIBUTE = SINGLE to limit the search view to just Single Parts that are fully playable.

If you want to inherit the current settings, opt out... deselect “Mixing”,
If you have Arps or MSeqs assigned, opt out ... deselect “Arp/MS”
Already have Scenes stored, opt out... deselect “Scenes”
Already have a Zone Setup, opt out... deselect “Zone”

The Default
In previous synths you had to activate “Parameter with Voice” (it was called), here you have to deactivate the option. We get an equal number of requests for how it should default (it really all depends on *how* you discover the parameter). Those trying to make the sound ‘exactly the same’ as the source, quite naturally, want “Parameters with Part” to already be active...

it’s one of those once you know it’s there, just set it!

Extra Credit:
Mastering MODX — Using Category Search

Posted : 04/02/2019 1:27 pm
Topic starter

Wow, it was right under my nose, lol....Some things are easier to find than others. This forum has been invaluable to me for making my way through the depths of the MODX...Thanks for all y’all do here!!

Posted : 04/02/2019 11:39 pm
Topic starter

So, along the same lines of the original problem.... I’ve successfully programmed the assign knobs to handle the Volume for parts (which I had to build a user curve for, Weird.), now I’m trying to set the faders to handle elements; mainly drawbars for an Organ that’s on part 5. How do I save it as such? I’ll set it up accordingly and save the performance, but when I come back to it, the faders resort to part 1 elements...another one probably right in front of me but can’t seem to figure it out....

Posted : 05/02/2019 8:17 am
Bad Mister

So, along the same lines of the original problem.... I’ve successfully programmed the assign knobs to handle the Volume for parts (which I had to build a user curve for, Weird.), now I’m trying to set the faders to handle elements; mainly drawbars for an Organ that’s on part 5. How do I save it as such? I’ll set it up accordingly and save the performance, but when I come back to it, the faders resort to part 1 elements...another one probably right in front of me but can’t seem to figure it out....

Todd, you should not have to have built a USER CURVE (you're right, that is "Weird" - if you would like to explore that let us know what you are trying to doing.

As to the settings for the Faders to default to being Element/Operator control.
Go to the OVERVIEW screen

[SHIFT] + [HOME]
in the upper right of the screen see "Slider Function"
Touch "Element/Operator"
This switches the Sliders from being PART VOLUME to being ELEMENT/OPERATOR LEVEL
(Setting this parameter is exactly the same as pressing the button labeled [PART _ ELEMENT/OPERATOR])

Press [STORE]
You will be given the opportunity to either "Store as New Performance" (in which case give it a unique Name) or you will be offered to "Overwrite Current Perf." (in which case the name used will be used again).

Make sure you are recalling your NEW Performance...

Posted : 05/02/2019 3:37 pm
Topic starter

I figured out the assign knob. When setting the destination to “Volume”, curve type “Standard”, the default ratio is +30, which doesn’t completely take the volume down. +60 gets the job done.

Concerning the faders.....I’ve taken the exact steps mentioned and it does save the faders to element, But for “Part 1”. On this particular performance I have an Organ on “Part 5” that I want the faders to control the elements for. I would like the performance to open with the faders set to operate the elements of “Part 5”.

Posted : 05/02/2019 11:48 pm
Bad Mister

Concerning the faders.....I’ve taken the exact steps mentioned and it does save the faders to element, But for “Part 1”. On this particular performance I have an Organ on “Part 5” that I want the faders to control the elements for. I would like the performance to open with the faders set to operate the elements of “Part 5”.

Huh? The Faders will either be PART VOLUME for all PARTS or they will be ELEMENT/OPERATOR LEVEL for all PARTS... how you store it, will apply to all PARTS.

You have the dedicated button just to the left of Fader #1 that flips the role of the sliders.
You need to *select* Part 5 for the Faders to affect Part 5... when you directly select a Part the Assign Knobs and Faders will directly affect that Part.

Posted : 06/02/2019 12:10 am
Topic starter

So, if I’m understanding correctly, I can only store whether the Faders control PARTS volume or ELEMENT/OP levels. Not which particular set of PARTS (1-4,5-8,etc.) Or which elements for a particular PART. Is this correct? I need to use the dedicated buttons next to fader #1 to determine the rest? Seems odd for a board geared towards performance. Performances can be called up so effortlessly, but I would have to always add the extra step of setting the faders for each particular performance not to mention memorizing which parts are where. I’m not in front the board @ the moment but I believe I’ve opened up presets before that had faders set like what I’m suggesting. Maybe my question was misinterpreted.....

Posted : 06/02/2019 3:18 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Historically, the foundation of MODX (Montage) originally did not allow for you to save a Performance so that when you recalled the Performance - Element/Operator mode for sliders would be automatically selected. Among others, I noted that it would be nice to be able to have a setting which allows a Performance to default to Operator/Element slider mode namely for Performances like "All 9 Bars!" which uses the sliders as reverse drawbars. It was kind of a "drag" to push buttons to get the sliders to assume the intended use mode for the sliders when loading "All 9 Bars!" (or similar Performances).

Later firmware for Montage allowed for saving the slider mode to Element/Operator or the more common Part Volume control.

When you look at "All 9 Bars!" and also how your own Performance is working - you notice that PART 1 is the Part which is default selected. This is because when you recall a Performance - the Performance will always be set to "Common" mode (no individual PART selected).

Keeping with the historical tour - here's what the blurb from Montage's firmware update states:

[PERFORMANCE] -> [Motion Control] -> [Overview] or [SHIFT] + [PERFORMANCE]

Control Function
Switches among Performance Control, Part Control, and Element/Operator Control.

Settings: Performance Control, Part Control, Elem/Op Control

NOTE You can now store Control function operations as Performance data

... and further, this explains why PART 1 is the default for Element/Operator slider control when switching to the Performance which has the Control Function stored as Element/Operator:

When “Element/Operator Control” is selected and the PART [COMMON] button is ON, the Control Sliders 1 – 8 control the levels
of the Elements/Operators of Part 1.

NOTE Element/Operator Control is useful for playing Performances, for example, that contain single Organ Parts, because controlling the
volume of Elements in the Live Set display changes the harmonics of the Organ sound, just as with an actual organ.

You cannot save a PART selection with your Performance. Always when you switch into a Performance - no Performance will be selected. Instead, the [COMMON] "PART" will be selected (aka entire Performance). This mode, if you save your Performance's Control Function as Element/Operator must be constructed such that PART 1 has your PART you intend to control with the sliders as the default.

Certainly, you can control any PART's Element/Operator volumes with the sliders - but must first manually select the PART (if not PART 1).

If you want PART 5 to be the default PART that is Element/Operator controlled by the sliders - you can't. But you CAN swap PARTs 1 and 5 or otherwise re-order your PARTs so that PART 5 ends up as PART 1. Then what was previously PART 5, now in the PART 1 slot, will be the default and in full control of your sliders for Element/Operator control.

Posted : 06/02/2019 3:55 am
Topic starter

That’s what I was afraid of.....it’d be great if the faders were just as programmable as the assign knobs. For all the depth and functionality of this board, little quirks like these leave me scratching my head: The REC SW off for the expression pedal rendering the faders useless for PART VOL, the above issue with the FADERS defaulting to PART 1, MIDI implementation. Minor set backs for me on an otherwise very enjoyable board. But, hopefully future updates will address some of these....thanks!

Posted : 06/02/2019 4:35 am
Bad Mister

Er, the front panel should be a significant portion of performing on a Synthesizers. It’s part of the trip. *Selecting* Parts dynamically during performing is a fundamental. You can access them individually, by *selecting* them (no KBD CTRL active) or you can program when they sound (keep KBD CTRL active but dynamically Control when they sound).

What you will find is when it comes to having multiple instruments within a Performance, there are many different ways to control when they play. The Assign Knobs will always be different from what you can do with the Sliders. Nature of the beast. Each Part has eight Assign Knobs... initially, it appears as though these Part Assign Knobs can only be effective on a Part when that Part is the *selected* Part.

Let’s establish a scenario where you have six instruments in Parts 1-6. Part 1 Piano, Part 2 Strings, Part 3 Brass, Part 4 Synth Comp, Part 5 Organ, Part 6 E.Piano. No KBD CTRL is active.
When you recall this Performance, nothing will sound ... until you *select* a Part.

You can activate the KBD CTRL icon on any Part, 1-8, so that it is the first one sounding (on the HOME screen). Say you want to hear the organ in Part 5 when you first recall the Performance — activate just Part 5’s KBD CTRL icon, and STORE it that way. (It is not true that it has to be Part 1).

When you select a Part, its assigned parameters will be on the Assign Knobs. Each one could have one of its own eight Assign Knob controlling its Volume.

You might think, wow, bummer, I have to select a Part in order to change its relative Volume to the other Parts! That’s why I need the Faders to be Part Volumes.... but when I *select* Part 5 I want the Faders to be my “drawbars” (Element Levels)... bummer... right?

Not at all, Set the Sliders to ELEMENT/OPERATOR; You can still have access to Part Volumes... the Super Knob and Scene memory affect all 16 Parts, *selected* or not, you can always adjust things assigned/linked to the Super Knob and/or assigned in a Scene, regardless of the *selected* Part.

The Super Knob has eight Assign Knobs that it defaults to controlling. You can link the Part Assign Knob doing Volume from each of the six instruments to a Super Knob (Common) Assign Knob, giving you access to detailed group control via the Super Knob... you also can reach up and directly change the individual Part Volume of any Part whenever your [HOME] and the [ASSIGN] button is lit..

The Faders have two specific roles... Part Volumes 1-16, or Element/Operator Levels 1-8 on the currently *selected* Part 1-16
Think about it when the upper COMMON is selected — like when [HOME] is pressed... the Assign Knobs can be your Part Volumes, pre-set exactly as you like. You can adjust them directly, or you can scale the Super Knob to Control each with its own Curve.

I’m just saying — remember that part of the Synthesizer experience — is the real-time front panel.

Posted : 06/02/2019 6:10 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Sliders and assignable knobs are very right-left brain. They're almost black and white. I too wish the sliders were more flexible - so I'm with you there in the wish. I do not have hopes for firmware changes in this region - meaning I'm not investing in the idea it will happen. When I say "wish" - I cast it off with no expectation it will come to fruition.

Sliders are fixed in function. Ignoring remote control mode - the sliders assume a very finite set of modes where they serve one of a few fixed functions. The polarity cannot be changed. The limits cannot be adjusted. They are as close to analog faders as possible.

The Knobs have a set of modes where they function similar to the sliders - fixed function (Tone, FX/EQ, etc). They can also be assignable where the knob has hundreds of destinations to tie to with many curves, including user, that can be assigned to the modulation as you spin the knob.

These are different animals with a different legacy. The evolution of these controls follows a divergent path.

... some of the limitations or quirks of MODX cause a can't-pass-go situation where some goal cannot be met. However, this one is not in that category. The "game" is to "fit the curve" and place the proper content into PART 1 (the "anchor" PART). The only finer point about this is that different PARTs have different priority for note squelching when polyphony runs out. Anything that forces you to use a particular PART will impact your choice for polyphony priority. That said - there are very few situations where programming-for-polyphony (because you're close to this water-line) is the goal where this would matter.

So I believe you can realize your goal if you put in the work to re-arrange your PARTs. The only other impact will be the receive MIDI channel as CH1 vs. CH5 (and other shifts in MIDI channels as you shuffle). Not sure if there is some other MIDI channel receive goal you were trying to maintain and cannot get something to work if re-ordered.

Posted : 06/02/2019 6:31 am
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us