Notifications
Clear all

sequencing

16 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

several questions here. I would like to record( sequence) some tracks(songs) that I want to put together. first off, I would like to use the sequencer in my mox6. I want to use all of the performances(voices) from the modx. any suggestion how to accomplish this. midi out of mox6 to midi in of modx? what about syncing the 16 midi channels between the two keyboards?

I have just purchased a usb audio interface to try and use either Tracktion or Cubase for sequencing, which ever is easiest to learn and use. I am not very computer literate, so I am having one of my friends come over who is quite a pro on the computer. how can I obtain Cubase that comes with the purchase of the modx. I don't know if it is needed but I did not register the modx as I get a two year warranty from Sweetwater. I would like to have all the information needed for my friend to help me load Cubase. thank you in advance...…...Larry

Posted : 20/05/2019 1:01 pm
Bad Mister

You are given everything you need when you get MODX new... there is a card with an Access Code to download your copy of Cubase AI. Follow these instructions - set up an Account and Steinberg will email you your Activation Code.

As to recording using the MOX6 sequencer...if you are familiar with it you can use it. Connect MIDi Out of the MOX6 to the MIDI In of the MODX.

But don’t be afraid of learning Cubase.

Posted : 20/05/2019 4:24 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I must have lost the card with the access code, what can I do now.

Posted : 20/05/2019 5:07 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I would like to use the sequencer in my mox6.

MODX doesn't have a sequencer.

The sequencer that was in MOXF has been moved offline to a DAW which is why the free and capable Cubase AI was suggested.

MODX has a sketchpad recorder (performance recorder) built in but not a fully fledged sequencer.

Posted : 20/05/2019 5:08 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Contact support. There's support for synthesizers (Yamaha) and also Cubase. Yamaha has a number. Cubase will use the online system primarily. Both support avenues are documented on the respective web sites searching for support of your product.

Posted : 21/05/2019 2:05 am

I did a two bars sequence recording on my MODX that I want to play in loop while I'm playing live with one Performance and it works well. But when I changed the Performance I wanted to see if I can do a different recording for that Performance and I noticed the previous loop was already there. Actually, it's on all Performances. I'm trying to use this as a playback track while playing live but I'm not sure if I'm using it right. Can I do this with the Motion Sequencer?

Posted : 30/05/2019 7:23 pm
Bad Mister

did a two bars sequence recording on my MODX that I want to play in loop while I'm playing live with one Performance and it works well. But when I changed the Performance I wanted to see if I can do a different recording for that Performance and I noticed the previous loop was already there. Actually, it's on all Performances. I'm trying to use this as a playback track while playing live but I'm not sure if I'm using it right.

You can keep 128 different Songs in your MODX. You can link a Song&Perf so that they can be recalled together.

When you select a Performance, if you press the Record button, you will be taken to a New Song, in the “Play/ Rec” area.
If you have already recorded some MIDI data, you want to touch “Play/Rec” to get to the Recorder. Press the Record button always cycles to the next available Song.

Once you have recorded MIDI data you can touch a box that will link the current Song and Performance.
The Song will be placed in the [UTILITY] > “Contents” > “Data Utility” > “Song” Folder.

You will notice when you go to Load, one of the options is “Song&Perf” — this allows you Load a Song from your Song Folder and the Performance you have linked to it.

Song&Perf — A specified Song in a file that is saved to the dedicated area in the User Memory as a “Song” type can be individually selected and loaded (played back) to the instrument. Both of MIDI sequence and Performance data can be loaded.

Posted : 30/05/2019 9:15 pm

But let's say I want to have Performance 1 linked with Song 1 and Performance 2 linked with Song 2 ready in a LIVE SET. Is this possible? Because the way I see it so far, when I want to use a Performance linked with a Song, I have to press Utility - Load - Content Type - Song&Perf. It would be very uncomfortable doing this in a live situation.

So I guess the question is can I save a Performance linked to a Song in a Live Set, so I don't have to load it every time I want to use it?

Thanks.

Posted : 31/05/2019 5:27 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

The audition feature would allow for saving MIDI data to a Performance.

Posted : 31/05/2019 6:00 am

wow, of course, that makes sense 🙂 Can you explain how to do it please?

Posted : 31/05/2019 8:53 pm
Bad Mister

So I guess the question is can I save a Performance linked to a Song in a Live Set, so I don't have to load it every time I want to use it?

If you convert your Song data to a User Audition Phrase, the Performance can be permanently linked to the MIDI data of a Song. Technically speaking, you are not accessing the Song, you’ve converted the Song data to become a User Audition Phrase. That User Audition Phrase is then referenced by the Performance.

AUDITION PHRASES: BEST PRACTICES
Current situation: An “Audition Phrase” can be linked (stored) with any user Performance. You can choose a Preset Audition Phrase or you can convert data from your MODX’s Internal Song Folder to be available as User Audition Phrases. This takes place within the Performance in its HOME location.

Recall your USER Performance, from the HOME screen
Press [EDIT]
Touch “General”
On this screen, you can set an Audition Phrase to play whenever this Performance is recalled and the [AUDITION] button is engaged. It will stream the MIDI data from ROM at the Tempo stored in the Performance.

If you are associating a Performance with a USER Audition for the first time, tap the box “Update User Auditions”. This action will take the contents of your MODX’s SONG Folder and make them available as Assignable Audition Phrases*.

____ *Before you do convert this data to Audition Phrases, I highly recommend that you take a look at what’s currently in your SONG Folder. This way you don’t windup converting unnecessary, duplicate, or Songs that are just “false starts”. I have discovered in talking with users, that it is not clear about how the MONTAGE/MODX Play/Rec feature works and most are viewing the SONG Folder for the very first time.
____ If you Load a .mid File from a USB stick to the MONTAGE/MODX, or if you record directly to the Play/Rec function, that data remains in Internal memory in a special internal folder called the “Song” Folder.
Press [UTILITY] > “Contents” > “Data Utility” > “Song” Folder
____ I have met folks who are amazed they have tons of duplicate entries in the Song Folder because they loaded the data from the USB stick each time they wanted to play it. They did not have to... loading it once places it in the instrument’s Internal (ROM) memory, where it will remain until you manually DELETE it or you “Initialize all Data” or you restore a Backup File (.X8A).
____ The act of recalling a Song to the Player/Recorder from this Folder is also a “Load” function but it is loading from internal ROM. Each time you load from a USB stick you create a new entry... an additional entry to the Song Folder.
____ You want to remove any extraneous Song data from the Folder prior to converting the Song Folder to Audition Phrases. The conversion will store a separate version of this Song data, that will be associated with that Performance (if you later Delete the original Source Song, the Audition Phrase remains).

Once your cleaned-up Song Folder is converted to Audition Phrases, you can proceed to selecting “User Audition” for the Performance — each Song entry will appear with a number. Make a selection and then [STORE] the Performance... because this is the Performance associated with your LIVE SET, you will be overwriting the current Performance. If you opt to Store as a New Performance, remember you must then place this new Performance in your Live Set.

All the data is converted at once. To add a new Song to the Audition Phrases you will rewrite the User Audition area.

Important Things You’ll Need To Know:
Audition Phrases do not Stop automatically. It is recommended that you add enough measures at the end of your Songs to allow for you to comfortably end the playback by pressing the [AUDITION] button... or you move to the next Performance (where Play will resume).

Because the [AUDITION] button is both Start/Stop for Audition Phrases, and if you are a nervous person on stage, we recommend you place a stick click or hihat pedal sound as the ‘count-in’ before any Song. This will alert you that playback is about to begin (again).

Audition Phrases cannot contain any Bank Select/Program Change Data. Playback from within the Performance negates/prevents any kind of program selection. (Sort of like you can’t pull the rug out from under your own feet, Bank and Program Changes will be ignored).

Songs that are set with Loop = On play with Start to End Points will seamlessly Loop (forever) until you hit [AUDITION] to end play.

Navigation Tip: If, from the HOME screen, you hit the RECORD button, versus using the Performance screen’s “Play/Rec” box, it will advance to a NewSong, rather than recalling the most recently loaded data.
_ Hitting the Record button from the HOME screen says, “I want to do a new recording”
_ Tapping the “Play/Rec” box from the HOME screen says, “I want to continue working with the data currently in the Recorder”

Additional reading

Posted : 31/05/2019 9:30 pm

OK, it works but my problem is that the AUDITION button doesn't play the song right away. I need to play this section in sync with the band. If I play my loop from the Play/Rec section, it's ok because it plays right away. My next question is this: can I trigger the play button with a note on the keyboard? ...And while I'm typing this, I'm thinking maybe it's best to sample the loop and then trigger it with a note, right?

Posted : 07/06/2019 1:30 pm
Bad Mister

And while I'm typing this, I'm thinking maybe it's best to sample the loop and then trigger it with a note, right?

I would think so. If you need to trigger the playback on cue, then a “sample” is the way to go. With care, you can record exactly what you need, create a .wav. You can use your computer to trim and loop the audio. Then add it as a New Waveform to your instrument’s memory- place it in a Drum Kit Part where you can manage how it plays back.

You can use the MODX’ “Play/Rec” function to capture the data as a 44.1kHz/24-bit .wav on a USB stick. (Or you can record directly to your DAW as Audio)
With this audio wav on your computer...
Edit the audio recording, trimming and setting it to Loop (if that is what you prefer).
Save the edited version to the USB stick.
Move it into the MODX by loading it as a .wav to a MODX Drum Part ... this will let you create a New Waveform.

Extra Credit:
A “Waveform” is a MODX entity (in the sample-based AWM2 Engine) and differs from a simple .wav File. The MODX adds its own data to the audio clip... in order to address it as a musical entity. MODX Waveforms organize Samples into musically useful entities.

A “sample” is defined here as audio that is cued to play from Key-On and continue according to the Amplitude Envelope parameters applied later. This is an important thing for music. Recognize cueing the start of audio playback to note-On is a musical requirement. And shaping its behavior over time (handed by another layer of applied parameters).

A “sample” can be made to playback at different volumes in response to the Velocity of the Key-On. This is important on certain samples -to control the initial volume is a musical requirement.

A “sample” can be made to playback at different speeds and therefore different pitches by increasing or decreasing the Note number used to trigger audio start. This is important on certain samples to tune the pitch of playback... again a musical requirement.

Each “sample” is placed in a MODX entity called a KeyBank. The KeyBank is defined by the Note and Velocity Range associated with the audio recording. Each Sample has its own KeyBank. There is room for a maximum of two samples in a KeyBank... to accommodate ‘stereo’ audio. 256 KeyBanks can make up a MODX Waveform. In the AWM2 engine, that same audio clip can be played with 128 notes of polyphony... often in music it is required to play multiple copies of the audio simultaneously.

Note Range is horizontal — across the keyboard, C-2 thru G8. That’s 128 Notes.
Velocity Range is vertical — Note-On Velocity where 0 is no sound, goes 1-127.
A Waveform is a combination of KeyBank Note and Velocity Range settings to create an entity capable of musical performance.

When you select a Waveform for a MODX Element (the Element is that set of parameters that apply Modulation, Envelopes, and further define the behavior of the audio)... that Element can be one of eight that make up an AWM2 Part... it is through these additional parameters that the MODX applies to the .wav that turn an audio recording from a static entity that plays back always the same and transform it into a musically useful entity.

Posted : 07/06/2019 2:12 pm

You can use the MODX’ “Play/Rec” function to capture the data as a 44.1kHz/24-bit .wav on a USB stick. (Or you can record directly to your DAW as Audio)
With this audio wav on your computer...
Edit the audio recording, trimming and setting it to Loop (if that is what you prefer).
Save the edited version to the USB stick.

How can I 'set it to loop' within the DAW? Isn't that something I would do after loading the sample on the MODX?

Posted : 07/06/2019 4:22 pm
Bad Mister

Trimming the audio sample and preparing the loop must be done on your computer... you must use the tool of your choice for sampling and editing the audio.

Highly recommended for those creating your own MONTAGE/MODX Waveforms:
MELAS Montage/MODX Waveform Editor

Posted : 07/06/2019 5:10 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us