Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Voice Library Order Page Warning for MODX

17 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

So I'm getting familiar with my new MODX 7. I found out with an email answer from Support that the MODX can use any of the sound libraries that the Montage and Motif XF use (couldn't find an answer in the manuals). Here's the next hurdle--the page for buying a sound library has this pro forma warning: "Before you load this product, make sure you have saved any data on your instrument that you may want to keep." https://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/synth/bs-knees-5

Is this warning referring to just user-created files? Or does it really mean what it says, viz., "any data on your instrument that you want to keep", which would include presets, the operating system...everything?

Posted : 30/11/2018 5:01 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

The instructions apply to the Motif or MOX/MOXF instruments listed. The advice to backup your data into an "All file" is not bad advice in general. If you install the file to your user area, you will lose your user area (just your user area). If you install to a library slot, nothing will be lost or overwritten. If I remember, this set has no samples and uses the preset waveforms with customized programming to get unique organ sounds. You should be able to install the voices straight to your library area. I believe you should also be able to install the Performances straight to library (if you wanted to retain those 16 Perfs).

To load everything together, you might as well start by saving your user area first. Then load the Performances straight to your user area (overwriting your user area) then install the Voices to a library slot. Then import all of the Voices (now Performances in MODX's library) to the user area. Then you can save a new library file which will have the voices and performances together in a single library. Delete the "voices" library installed earlier. Then install the combined voice+perf library you just created. Then restore the user area you saved off at the beginning of the process.

Posted : 30/11/2018 7:48 am
Bad Mister

So I'm getting familiar with my new MODX 7. I found out with an email answer from Support that the MODX can use any of the sound libraries that the Montage and Motif XF use (couldn't find an answer in the manuals).

Hi Timothy,
Welcome to YamahaSynth!
Make sure you download the PDF version of the Owner’s Manual, and be sure you get the MODX Reference Manual, Supplementary Manual, Synthesizer Parameter Manual, and the Data List Booklet. These are all available by going to the MODX Product Page on the corporate Yamaha.com website. If you navigate to the Product Page and click on the Product’s “Downloads” you will arrive at a screen with all downloadable data concerning the MODX.

The Owner’s Manual — will introduce to the broad concepts and overall general tour
The Reference Manual — is your parameter-by-parameter Manual which on close inspection would have told you about what you can Load to your MODX (Page 200). Here you would have found that the MODX is able to load MONTAGE data, Motif XF data, Motif XS data, and MOXF data. (And while there are some incompatibility on older (protected) promotional data... for the most part the file types listed will indeed load to the MODX.
A Supplementary Manual — is a “new feature” guide. When a firmware update is released, this document is updated to include all the new features... so more often than the others, the Supplementary Manual will be routinely replaced to include all added features.
The Synthesizer Parameter Manual — translates much of the parameter abbreviations that, if you’re new to Synthesizers maybe head-scratchers.
The Data List — is all the “under the hood” details.

Here's the next hurdle--the page for buying a sound library has this pro forma warning: "Before you load this product, make sure you have saved any data on your instrument that you may want to keep." https://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/synth/bs-knees-5

Is this warning referring to just user-created files? Or does it really mean what it says, viz., "any data on your instrument that you want to keep", which would include presets, the operating system...everything?

DCP’s “B’s Knees” will Load just fine. The synth has two general types of data... Preset and User.

Preset refers to the data permanently burned into the ROM (Read Only Memory) by Yamaha at the factory. These Factory Preset (2143 of then) are in permanent memory. You can lose, destroy or do any harm to these Performances. You can edit them but your edited version is stored into the USER Bank. You can store 640 Performances into the User area. You are the “User”. The User Bank can be stored in the instrument between power cycles. You can SAVE (to a USB stick) a User File .X8U

You replace the current User Bank, by loading another User File .X8U.

A User File can contain the follow data in addition to 640 Performances
2048 Waveforms
2048 Live Set slots
256 User Arpeggios
256 User Motion Sequences
32 User Curves
8 Micro Tunings
User Audition Phrases

The warning is nothing more than a warning that if you have edited or changed any data, a wise person will Save their work to a File so they can recall it later. The equivalent would be the User area is like your RAM (Random Access Memory) — say on your computer you are working on a letter in a Word Proccesor Program... you are working in your computer’s RAM area (your “work area” of the computer memory... a wise person will Save their letter to a File so they can recall it later.

Before you load any .X8U File, the screen will warn you... that you are about to overwrite the current “work area” with this new data. At that point you can pause and review ...when you first open the box, your MODX’s USER Bank is completely empty. You store your versions of things in the User Bank or you load data from a file into the User Bsnk (or as you’ll learn, you can ‘import’ data from a Library).

_ If you’ve created no changes (no updates) to the existing User Bank data, then proceed and overwrite the RAM area. However, if you just spent three hours working out some new sounds, perhaps you created 25 new Arps, edited half a dozen custom Performances, created a new an entirely new Set List in the “LIVE SET” area, worked out master Keyboard Control setups with the rest of your rig, etc., you will want to SAVE a User File... either create a new User File or directly overwrite (updating) an older source file. (The Manual details all of this, by the way... but reading it, without doing it, is why most people “don’t get” Manuals). Summary:

Preset = never lost
User = your data, your responsibility.

The User data can be moved to FLASH. What this means is when you have a collection of Performances, Waveforms, Live Sets, Arpeggios, Motion Sequences, Curves, tunings, etc... you can COPY the entire User Bank to one of 8 (Flash) Libraries — this is accomplished in a kind of “SAVE AS...” type routine. Not only do these Libraries, once installed, remain between power cycles, they are never overwritten. The only way you ever get rid of a Flash installed Library is you DELETE it directly... or you Initialize your entire MODX (which means all the data that *you* added to the Factory data (which as stated is “never lost”... )

It is that simple, that complex. I know folks hate Manuals... but all of this is in there. Take your time. Read the manuals only when seated at the Synthesizer.

Please see our Getting Started articles and tutorials — they can help. Subscribe to the Yamaha MUSIC PRODUCTION GUIDE... Visit this site with questions... if you cannot find something in the Manual (the PDF versions make it easy to ‘search’ specific terms) you can always ask here on the forums.

Extra Credit:
Reading manuals must be done while sitting at the product — while pressing the buttons. If you read them like you would a book, they are NOT compelling reading. You read the chapter on Saving data to File... if you have no file to save, then because you have no vested interest in the process, your attention to the details is extremely low. But if you’ve edited something — perhaps worked on it for an hour or two, and you “lookup” how to Save this data... Trust me, your attention to reading that same explanation is extremely heightened, you have “motivation”!

Recommended reading:
Mastering MODX Article Series

Posted : 30/11/2018 8:51 am
Topic starter

Thanks for the answers and extra help. I know I need to put in some time with the manuals. See you later!

Posted : 30/11/2018 9:31 am
Topic starter

I finally tried loading B's Knees as a Library file because Jason's process seemed intimidating. I didn't see how I could save my User area, since there's nothing there to save. I tried saving it anyway, but nothing happened. Can it be that you mean I can skip this step if I haven't entered any data in the User area? I don't know. I know that may seem elementary to you, but very little of this process is clear to me, even after I scrutinized the manuals. There are a lot of blank spaces to fill in, and really the manuals seem written for engineers and not musicians. I am not computer illiterate by any means. I have taken Avid's Pro Tools 101 class, being ranked "best student" in my class. I've used surgical navigation software in the operating room. But I am struggling to decipher a lot of the instructions I'm getting from all sources here. There just aren't many details.

Anyway, I loaded the B's Knees Universal Folder (you can't just load the file, I learned) as a Library File. That seemed to go to completion. Then when I tried to do a Library Import into the User Area, I followed the directions in the Music Production Guide, v. 2019 01, page 24. Instead of seeing the list of Performances, the field was empty. I can't find the Library File B's Knees anywhere. Any help appreciated here.

Posted : 23/01/2019 1:15 am
Topic starter

UPDATE: The B's KNEES file I loaded into the MODX's onboard memory just showed up in the Utility>Contents>Library Import window, I don't know why just now and not before. When I tap on the folder to show the performances, the folder disappears. Before, it prompted me to insert a USB device, so I did. Then it asked me if I want to overwrite the current file, so I aborted. If the file is loaded into the onboard memory, why should I need to insert the USB stick again?

Posted : 23/01/2019 2:50 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

If your user area is unused, there's nothing to back up so that step is optional. Even if you have content there, you may decide it's not appropriate to back up (not data you care about losing). If you go into the Utility area and look at the contents, choosing the User area - the screen will display in the top right how many user slots are used. You should see 0/640 if the area is empty.

There are three ways to place content in the user area. The most common involves pressing the [STORE] button to save a copy of the current Performance (edited or not). There is also a touch screen equivalent of pressing the physical button. If there are no fingerprints on the [STORE] button, chances are your user area is unused.

Another way is to load content to the user area directly. Either by loading an X8U or X7U user file or by loading legacy content (X6A for XF series) which is converted to work in MODX. You do this by Contents -> Load and pick the user folder (not library). Converted content allows loading directly to library OR user. This means you do not have to use library import and those extra steps if your goal is to load Motif (or other converted content) into the user area to edit. Plus certain legacy content needs to be loaded direct to the user area because samples are not imported to the user area if your goal is to edit the converted Performances.

Load has a source and destination. The destination is onboard memory and the source is always a USB flash drive. Load copies (or converts) content stored on a USB flash drive TO MODX's onboard memory (user or library depending on what you have selected). Without a USB stick, there is no source. Similar for save, but destination and source are swapped. For save, the USB flash is the destination and source is content on MODX.

Posted : 23/01/2019 3:42 am
Topic starter

Thanks Jason, this helps. When I look at my Free Storage indicator in the upper right corner of the screen it says "Library 1/8", which seems to indicate that the B's KNEES bank loaded successfully as a Library file. Is this correct? And if it's there, I should be able to get it into the User area and play the voices and performances without pulling them off the USB drive, shouldn't I? If that's not the case, then what did I load? NOTE: Before I loaded the B's KNEES, I had not done any editing, saving, or any other changes to the User area or anywhere else. The MODX was in its out-of-box new state.

My only goal at this point is to be able to play the Hammond organ voices, not even thinkingt of editing anything yet.

Posted : 23/01/2019 6:47 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Only because I think you say that you've only loaded one item into the library area would "Library 1/8" suggest B's Knees is in the Library area. In the general case, without any context, "Library 1/8" says nothing about what's contained within. Only that you're using one slot with something.

Press your [CATEGORY] button, then use the touchscreen to touch the "Bank". A popup selection menu appears with "All, Favorite, Preset, User" (each on one line) - then all of your libraries listed under those. If no libraries are installed, you will not see anything else. The library names assume the same name as the filename you used to load. So if you wanted it to say "B Knee Lib" - then you would rename the file (keeping the same extension) on your USB stick before installing (loading) this file.

From this pop-up selection menu, choose the B's Knees library (whatever it is named in the list). This will filter the Category Search by only the B's Knees Performances. Assuming you have no other filters other than bank - you should see all of the Performances in the library listed (16 Performances per screen).

There are also lots of tone-wheel organ Performances built in to MODX. If you choose bank "Preset" then filter by category "Organ" and sub category "Tone Wheel" - there are roughly 60 organs that match.

Posted : 23/01/2019 6:37 pm
Topic starter

OK, Jason, you moved me along some. I looked in the dropdown menu of the Banks and saw, as you indicated, the folder I loaded as a Library file. I had named it B's KNEES XF, and it is the only thing I've ever loaded into this new MODX. So that has to be the folder I'm looking for.

But when I selected that folder, the Performances did not display. The 16 slots on the page are blank. My Attributes setting is All, so no filters. The bank name "B's KNEES XF" is displayed in the Bank field. The 8 Performances and128 Voices should all be there somewhere. How do I get them to display?

Posted : 24/01/2019 2:21 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

You cannot create a single Library that contains all voices and performances. When you loaded the X3A (or whatever your original file was) - there was a choice to load voices OR performances - not both. You can't do that. Note that an attribute setting of "all" is not sufficient to say there are no filters. Category and sub-category are also filters. Under the word "Main" in the far-left and on an upper row (but not top) should be a yellow box with the word "All" (a second "All" ). This "All", that should be selected = yellow, would denote the main category selected is "All". The Main category of "All" has no sub-category ("all" main means "all" period).

There should not have been an issue with the conversion because this set uses no custom samples.

Posted : 24/01/2019 7:52 am
Bad Mister

When confused, slow down and take it one step at a time. You seem surprised by each step... don’t be. Let’s review the process of loading the DCP B’s Knees Motif XF File to your MODX.

Let’s start with the file itself.
When talking about the file include all of the characters in the file name (including the extension—the letters after the ‘dot’, as this is a clear indicator of what can and will happen to the file when you attempt to load it. (My suspicion is you overwrote your File in an early attempt, saving nothing to the title, but I will come back to that)....

For example, the Motif XF ALL Data File might be titled “B’sKnees.n3.X3A”
This indicated a Motif XF All Data File with no Samples or Waveforms.

Press [UTILITY]
Touch “Contents” > “Load”
Set the “Content Type” = User File or Library File, depending upon *where* you wish to load the data. This is your choice.
Set the “Import Option” = Voice
By targeting “User File” will place the data in your User Bank filling 544 out of the 640 Performance locations.
By targeting “Library File” will place the data in 1 of your 8 Library Banks.

If you select User, then when you use [CATEGORY] to search for the data set BANK = User
If you selected Library, then when you use [CATEGORY] to search for the data set the BANK = “B’sKnees....”

If when you search you see nothing, then you loaded an empty file (totally possible if in you guessing you paid no attention to file extension that you were working with.

Do you still have your original Motif XF All Data File?
If so, look at it in your computer and see the size and the full name (including the extension)
Let us know.

Posted : 24/01/2019 4:24 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for jumping in, Bad Mr. You are right, I am surprised by each step. That's because stepwise instructions for a specific task, the kind I am used to seeing in about every other software program I've ever used, are hard to find in Yamaha's documentation.

So here is where things stand now: I just deleted whatever it was I loaded as a Library file; I think it was an empty folder. My Library contents indicator now is back to 0/8, from the 1/8 it indicated before I deleted the folder.

The B's Knees data files I bought are on a USB drive in a folder titled "B's KNEES XF UNIVERSAL FILE." There are two files in this folder: B's Knees XF.n3.X3A (2,174 KB) and B's KNEES XF.X8L (4 KB).

According to the Reference Manual, pp. 198-200, both files types can be loaded. What the manual doesn't make clear is whether they both SHOULD be loaded. And the documentation that came with the B's Knees library contains specific directions only for loading the files into an XF synth.

So, Bad Mr., should I now start following your steps above? Do I use both files? I'm ready to start over.

Posted : 24/01/2019 10:10 pm
Bad Mister

The only way you could have a file named “B's KNEES XF.X8L” with a size of (4 KB) is if you saved an empty User Bank and named that yourself. You can completely ignore this - it is meaningless. It’s an error you made; that was not included with your Motif XF DCP Data...

The file you purchased is most likely named “B's Knees XF.n3.X3A” that is a File for the Motif XF and (2,174 KB) sounds about right. Now, it may have come in a folder called “B's KNEES XF UNIVERSAL FILE” but you want the Motif XF File with the extension .n3.X3A

What you need to do is place the USB stick in the MODX
After a few seconds a drop down will report it is seeing your drive.
Press [UTILTY]
Touch “Contents” > “Load”
“Content Type” = where you want to load the data

Spend a bit of time with exploring the screen. There is a box that represents your USB stick.
Touch it to open it... you are looking for the file “B's Knees XF.n3.X3A”

Once you have located that file... make sure the “Import Option” is Set to “VOICE”
The top of the screen outlines where you are MODX > Device > USB Folder Name >
and finally the box for your File Name and extension.

Review the screen — make sure you are set to Load... Touch the box
If you are loading to the User you will receive a warning that your current User Bank will be overwritten with this new File.
Click OK

Posted : 24/01/2019 11:14 pm
Topic starter

I finally loaded the data file for the B's Knees, this time with the voices included. I loaded them into a Library slot. They are mixed in with other voices unless I further filter the Performance Category with Organ and Tone Wheel (another pearl of knowledge I had to uncover myself). That segregates them finally into one definable bank that comprises the B's Knees voices.

I do appreciate the help I got on this forum from power users. I was able to get it done only with the stepwise, task-specific directions given here on this forum. In my opinion, Yamaha has no excuse for that. Are all the answers I was looking for ultimately in one of the 5 manuals, the Mastering MODX article series, or one of the Music Production Guides? It may be. But I didn't see those answers in my reading, and certainly not in the form of simple declarative English sentences. And although I do appreciate the versatility and complexity of the MODX, at some point I want to stop poring over manuals and play some music.

I hope some day Yamaha will rewrite their manuals as sets of directions for common tasks and not just as intricately detailed lists of the many controls and parameters of the instrument.

Posted : 25/01/2019 1:55 am
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us