Clear all

Controlling velocity in Cubase

16 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
John
 John
Topic starter

I can't figure out why I can control certain performance velocities in the key editor section of Cubase and not others. For instance I can select a brass voice and record the MIDI data into Cubase and then control the velocity for each individual note in Cubase, but then on the next track I can make a snare roll and the velocity will not change no matter where I adjust it. If I turn it all the way down I lose sound but there is no adjusting. What am I doing wrong? I tried it with Montage factory drum performances and with drum performances I have created using 3rd party .wav files. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The picture I uploaded shows what I mean. The notes should play progressively louder but there is no change. They play at the same velocity all the way through. But only for drum voices it seems. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful

Attached files

Posted : 06/02/2017 11:28 pm
Bad Mister

The picture I uploaded shows what I mean

What does the picture you posted show? Seems like way too many Velocity events for just five notes.

Why is this posted under reface?

Posted : 07/02/2017 12:43 am
John
 John
Topic starter

Sorry not sure I posted in the correct spot. I can repost if I need to? The picture is notes laid out in 1/128 quantization so there's a lot of them. I do a lot of trap style stuff with very quick snare and high hat rolls that fade in and out and what not, basically that picture is a random layout of notes fading into a higher velocity. However the velocity does not change. It stays at 127 or whatever the default velocity is, even on the notes that are very low. However it seems to do it randomly (which I know isn't the case) on different performances. Typically I have no problems changing note velocity through cubase on instrument voices, but when I try to change the velocity on drum voices (which is 80% of what i need the feature for) It doesn't change at all on any of the drum performances I have created from wav files, and seems hit or miss on the factory drum performances. Not sure why. I've tried to go through and troubleshoot the midi set up but I believe I have it set up properly. Any thoughts?

Posted : 08/02/2017 4:05 am
Bad Mister

I don't understand - that screenshot looks like 5 MIDI notes. Which says to me that the items along the bottom do not represent Velocity. 5 Notes would have 5 independent vertical lines, one for each Note. A note-on can have only 1 Velocity value.

Please explain or show a better screenshot.

Posted : 08/02/2017 5:11 am
John
 John
Topic starter

It wasn't five notes, it was possibly 70 or more notes, it was just an example of the velocity fade in as I typically use it. I've taken a different screenshot to be more clear.

Posted : 08/02/2017 5:21 am
John
 John
Topic starter

It wasn't five notes, it was possibly 70 or more notes, it was just an example of the velocity fade in as I typically use it. I've taken a different screenshot to be more clear.

Posted : 08/02/2017 5:23 am
John
 John
Topic starter

It wasn't five

Posted : 08/02/2017 5:31 am
Bad Mister

I see four sets of six notes each, is that correct?

Posted : 08/02/2017 5:46 am
John
 John
Topic starter

I apologize for the multiple messages phone is being weird, yes correct. This is just an example, but basically the velocity should fade into a higher velocity, but although the note parameters on the key editor screen on cubase are set to fade in, there is no change to the sound coming out. However, it only seems to do this with drum voices. If I adjust the velocity on instrument voices I don't seem to have that problem.

Posted : 08/02/2017 5:51 am
Bad Mister

I'm sorry, what "Voice" are you talking about? Please be specific. You also mention "default Velocity", in your initial post, which is not a term I'm aware of... what default velocity?

You mention you're using a Montage, what Drum Performance are you triggering? We'll try to duplicate what your seeing, because it doesn't sound right.

Posted : 08/02/2017 5:56 am
John
 John
Topic starter

I will basically lay out how I have things set up.

Cubase is loaded with 16 MIDI tracks with the channel number set to ANY. At times to create fast rolls containing multiple notes I will set the channel number in Cubase to whatever corresponding Montage track contains the drum performance I am using. For example, track 1 in the Montage contains Metal Bits, so I will set the channel number in Cubase to channel one. This allows me to use the paint tool to draw multiple notes quickly instead of using the keyboard. The velocity issue arises whether the channel is set to ANY or if it is assigned to a specific Montage track.

My Montage 7 is properly set up to transmit MIDI data to be recorded in Cubase

The drum performance I am using is a performance I created with .wav files, loading each .wav file to a key and saving it in the Montage as a library file.

Everything works as it should as far as I can tell, I just don't understand why velocity adjustments performed inside cubase will not function properly when I'm using my created performances. When using instrument performances there doesn't seemean to be a problem

Posted : 08/02/2017 7:08 am
Bad Mister

Your answer, again, is a bit cryptic... but if these are YOUR custom waves, did you take the time to make them velocity sensitive.

The problem with a raw .wav is it Audio designed to always playback at a fixed volume. A .wav does not include things like a Note number or a Velocity Sensitivity... these are parameters applied in the synthesizer and are part of what makes a Montage "Waveform" different from a raw .wav.

Confusing is your claim normal sounds Play with velocity, but you failed to mention whether those Normal sounds are Montage sounds. This is the first time you thought to mention it is YOUR OWN data (welll, that's an important clue, no? 🙂

Check the LEVEL/VELOCITY setting for the Key to which you have assigned your custom Wave

Press [EDIT]
Press [PART SELECT x] to select the Part containing the Kit
Touch "Osc/Tune"
In the screen activate the "Keyboard Select" function (green)
Touch the Key on the keyboard to recall the Waveform parameters
Make sure it shows your Waveform name
Touch "Level/Pan"

You want to check that the "LEVEL/VELOCITY" parameter is set to a positive value. +32 for example, would create a linear curve where for each increase in Velocity effort in, there is a unit increase in Level result out.

A Level/Vel = 0 means no change in velocity
+32 = linear response
+63 = means only maximum effort yields results, low velocities are ignored
Negative values reverse the velocity response.

Posted : 08/02/2017 8:32 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

You can also assign a standard drum PART (preset) instead of using your custom/user data to validate (hear) if the problem is with drum PARTs, in general - as you seem to imply, or just something wrong with your custom PART. Seems like a programming error (if dynamics are desired) instead of any general deficiency in drums responding to velocity.

Posted : 08/02/2017 10:46 am
John
 John
Topic starter

Worked like a charm. Don't know why I didn't think abut the velocity settings when I loaded the wav file in. One quick question, is there a way to apply velocity settings over the entire performance instead of manually doing it for each wav file? Thank you again for the umpteenth time Phil.

Posted : 08/02/2017 9:57 pm
Bad Mister

No worries! The joke I always make in the Master Classes, there are two categories of musicians, normal and drummers!
Normal program Parts use a Waveform mapped horizontally (and/or vertically) across the keep board, so things like Velocity could be assigned to many at once. There can be eight Elements per AWM2 Part. Each Element references a Waveform.

But then there are those non-normal drums. A Drum program Part uses one Waveform per each Key. So the multiple samples are not horizontal, they are stacked vertically. This completely changes how you deal with them. When you think about it, each Key in a Drum Part is a different instrument. Each has a separate volume, pan position, Tuning, Envelope, each has its own filters, its autonomous - it's a separate instrument on each Key. Each can be routed to its own Audio output. This is why Drums are unique... it's actually 73 Elements. Each mapped a Key C0-C6.

Posted : 08/02/2017 10:05 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us