Notifications
Clear all

Finding Motif XF programs to load onto the Montage V2

16 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Alan
Topic starter

Hello...I have owned every model of Motif ever released over the years...now I have moved to the Montage. I understand that the new OS 2 can now load all of the Motif XF programs...but I no longer have them. Is there a place where I can download them ? Thanks for any responses....

Posted : 27/01/2018 5:38 pm
 Jean
Eminent Member

Hi

Here at Moessieurs :
http://www.moessieurs.com/Motifs/factory_xf.html

Posted : 27/01/2018 5:59 pm
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hello, yes on my site Moessieurs, you have all Factory Data on this page :

http://www.moessieurs.com/Motifs/factory_xf.html

You can find :
- an Motif XF all file from Motif ES factory file.
- an Motif Xs factory All file
- An Motif Xs factory All file

Hope it's help.

Click on the picture of the file you want to download, use the google translator tool in top banner to translate in your native language the page.

Posted : 27/01/2018 6:04 pm
 Alan
Topic starter

Thank you so much for your responses...all the data to load the factory programs that came with the Motif XF are contained in these All files ?

Posted : 27/01/2018 9:46 pm
 Andy
Eminent Member

I believe all the programs that are in the XF are already in the Montage. It’s the XF performances that are not in the Montage.

Posted : 27/01/2018 11:56 pm
 Alan
Topic starter

I AM SO SORRY...I STAND CORRECTED !! It is the PERFORMANCES that I want from the Motif XF. DOES ANYONE KNOE WHERE I CAN FIND THEM ?? Thank you for your help...

Posted : 28/01/2018 5:27 am
Bad Mister

You cannot convert Motif XF PERFORMANCES to MONTAGE without updating to firmware 2.00.x (Feb 7th)
At that time we will post a Motif XF All data file (.X3A) that when loaded to your MONTAGE will let you load either the 512 User VOICES and 32 DRUM KITS, or the 512 User Performances. You will have an option on the Load screen that lets you choose which you prefer.

If you already have your data saved in an All data format, simply select “PERF” then load the file.

Posted : 28/01/2018 6:05 am
 Andy
Eminent Member

Just to be sure was I correct in saying that all of the Motif XF voices are already in the Montage? And if that is the case when firmware 2.00 is on my Montage and I load just the Motif XF performances those imported performances will sound like they did in the XF without having to load the 512 user voices?

Posted : 28/01/2018 6:50 am
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi Andy, yes all the preset and user voices from Motif XF are already in Montage.
When it will be available on 7 february, the OS 2.00 allow you to load all performances at 4 parts from Motif XF (or Xs or MoXF) from an All file (.X3A, .X0A or .X6A).thru the option onn the bottom screen by selecting "Pef" in Import function :

The User voices of Motif XF contain 128 new user voices on User1, User2/3/4 on Motif XF are copy from presets.

Yes they sound like they did because all presets and user1 voices are inside Montage as single part performances and it sound better due to the pure analog circuit from Montage, no need to load the XF user voices,they are already in Montage.

You can ear for example some of the MoXF 4 parts performances load on Montage an played by Dom Sigalas at Winter Namm :

https://youtu.be/fk_R1LNycQI

Hope it's enough clear for you now 😉

Posted : 28/01/2018 9:09 am
Bad Mister

Just to be sure was I correct in saying that all of the Motif XF voices are already in the Montage? And if that is the case when firmware 2.00 is on my Montage and I load just the Motif XF performances those imported performances will sound like they did in the XF without having to load the 512 user voices?

Well...., when you opt to select “Import Option” = PERF (as shown in Joel’s screenshot above) the MONTAGE, imports every one of the Motif XS/XF or MOXF Performances and the “Voice” data that make them work.

One major difference between the previous synths and MONTAGE: the MONTAGE internal memory is huge. While Performances in the XS/XF and MOXF “pointed” to Voices in their resident Preset Voice locations, the MONTAGE simply imports all the VOICES as “Parts” in the MONTAGE.

As I understand it, at some time in a future firmware update, the Factory Performances of these previous instruments will be added to the Factory PRESET ROM of the MONTAGE.

This firmware update means there is now basic file compatibility between these previous model’s Performances and MONTAGE... but MONTAGE does not “point to” the “Voice location” as in previous models...there are no VOICES in MONTAGE.

MONTAGE imports and catalogues all Performances and creates a MONTAGE PART for each XS/XF and MOXF VOICE...

Yes, all Motif XS/XF and MOXF Voices are already in your MONTAGE, this new Load Option, will read your .X0V, .X3A and .X6A Files and imports everything to make them work!

The fact that the VOICES were already in your MONTAGE as Single Part Performances, is actually inconsequential... the Import Option will Import everything it needs to make your old Performances work! Yes, all the Arps of the previous models are already in the MONTAGE, this firmware update must have a massive “lookup table” that finds the appropriate Arpeggio data in each case and applies it. (I imagine that is what it’s doing while the old format files are being read...)

Once you load your old File, make a file in native MONTAGE format... the importing process takes longer than simply loading data as .X7U.
We’ll post a series of articles between now and the 7th of Februrary that will get you up to speed on the changes.

If you’ve been following my recent articles on Motif XF conversions, I manually reconstructed Motif XF Performances, by merging the four Single Part Data that are already in MONTAGE, I then manually found each and every Arp used and reassociated them with the Parts... doing it manually, of course, was time consuming but we wanted you to be able to appreciate what is new and different about MONTAGE.

You get to go from just 2 Part Assign Knobs to now 8 per Part
You now have 16 Source/Destination Control Sets per Part versus the old 6 Control Sets
And of course you can now add four more Parts to ant converted data.

Posted : 28/01/2018 10:27 am
Eyal
 Eyal
Eminent Member

Bad Mister wrote:

Well...., when you opt to select “Import Option” = PERF (as shown in Joel’s screenshot above) the MONTAGE, imports every one of the Motif XS/XF or MOXF Performances and the data that make them work.

One major difference between the previous synths and MONTAGE: the MONTAGE internal memory is huge. While Performances in the XS/XF and MOXF “pointed” to Voices in their resident Preset Voice locations, the MONTAGE simply imports all the VOICES as Parts in the MONTAGE.

As I understand it, at some point in a future firmware update, the Factory Performances of these previous instruments will be added to the PRESET ROM of the MONTAGE.

This firmware update means there is now basic file compatibility between these previous model’s Performances and MONTAGE... but MONTAGE does not “point to” the “Voice location” as in previous models...there are no VOICES in MONTAGE.

MONTAGE imports and catalogues all User Performances and creates a MONTAGE PART for each XS/XF and MOXF VOICE...

Yes, all Motif XS/XF and MOXF Voices are already in your MONTAGE, this new Load Option, will read your .X0V, .X3A and .X6A Files and imports everything to make them work!

The fact that the VOICES were already in your MONTAGE, is actually inconsequential... the Import Option will Import everything it needs to make your old Performances work! Yes, all the Arps of the previous models are already in the MONTAGE, this firmware update must have a massive “lookup table” that finds the appropriate Arpeggio data and applies it.

Once you load your old File, make a file in native MONTAGE format... the importing process takes longer than simply loading data as .X7U.
We’ll post a series of articles between now and the 7th of Februrary that will get you up to speed on the changes.

Thanks for your insight BM.

so I'm just wondering now -

let's say that there are two native XF performances I'll be loading, one using "Full Concert Grand" and one using "Ballad Stack".

now, I have those voices stock on the MONTAGE, right?

when I'll import the performances, it will re-import voice data which means I'll spend part of the 2GB flash memory on additional copies of "Full Concert Grand" and "Ballad Stack" because the loader will not be able to point to the actual MONTAGE sample data?

or this doesn't mean sample data, but only voice data?

Posted : 28/01/2018 10:35 am
Bad Mister

when I'll import the performances, it will re-import voice data which means I'll spend part of the 2GB flash memory on additional copies of "Full Concert Grand" and "Ballad Stack" because the loader will not be able to point to the actual MONTAGE sample data?

I’ll have to find out... but the Performance Data is tiny, tiny tiny compared to the GB.
A Performance in its entirety is a couple of kilobytes ( I’ll try to get exact figures) but say it’s between 2 and 4 KB

Think current when comparing data sizes, sometimes we all confuse the magnitude difference between Kilobtyes, Megabytes and Gigabytes
... so that’s $2000 to about $4000
The Flash Memory is measured in GB
so that’s $1,800,000,000 (that billion with a “b”!

Perhaps you’ve played a gig for thousands of dollars, how many gigs would it take to save one billion, 800 million dollars... (rhetorical)... not to worry much about size impact.

What happens when a Motif XS/XF or MOXF Performance references a USER WAVEFORM? Again, we’ll have articles between now and the 7th of February outlining what you can expect. But I imagine when importing a VOICE that is referencing a USER Waveform, It will be recognized then written to Flash and catalogued...

Posted : 28/01/2018 10:57 am
Eyal
 Eyal
Eminent Member

Bad Mister wrote:

I’ll have to find out... but the Performance Data is tiny, tiny tiny compared to the GB.
A Performance in its entirety is a couple of kilobytes ( I’ll try to get exact figures) but say it’s between 2 and 4 KB

Think current when comparing data sizes, sometimes we all confuse the magnitude difference between Kilobtyes, Megabytes and Gigabytes
... so that’s $2000 to about $4000
The Flash Memory is measured in GB
so that’s $1,800,000,000 (that billion with a “b”!

Perhaps you’ve played a gig for thousands of dollars, how many gigs would it take to save one billion, 800 million dollars... (rhetorical)... not to worry much about size impact.

What happens when a Motif XS/XF or MOXF Performance references a USER WAVEFORM? Again, we’ll have articles between now and the 7th of February outlining what you can expect. But I imagine when importing a VOICE that is referencing a USER Waveform, It will be recognized then written to Flash and catalogued...

Thanks.
Let me try to clarify my question a bit clearer...

The Montage has 2GB of user flash memory. but the preset performances waveforms are contained in different non-volatile memory, right?

I believe that the XF waveforms that come stock with a MONTAGE are part of that memory.

my question was, if I'll import an XF PERFORMANCE which references stock XF voices, will it load the "FULL CONCERT GRAND" waveform again, to the 2GB of user flash, or will it point to the original waveform that came with the MONTAGE on the other memory?

the best is probably just to see how it works and then ask the questions, but hopefully you'll understand me.

Posted : 28/01/2018 11:17 am
Joe
 Joe
Eminent Member

Bad Mister wrote:
As I understand it, at some time in a future firmware update, the Factory Performances of these previous instruments will be added to the Factory PRESET ROM of the MONTAGE.

No doubt that'll be the big seller for Montage v3.0 :p :p :p

just being funny

Posted : 28/01/2018 11:23 am
 Andy
Eminent Member

Thank you BM for answering my question concerning importing Motif XF performances!

Posted : 28/01/2018 11:23 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us