Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Management midi channels with montage 7.

60 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
13.8 K Views
Simon

So why can we not have a 3rd Midi Mode (Midi+) for setting Midi Receive Channels for Parts, this could/would complement the current other two Midi Modes (Single and Mulit) this is still very much needed by many, Unfortunately what we still have here with Montage is a garden wall built around the current Midi restrictive design when trying to use Montage and Midi in the traditional sense with other keyboards, Yamaha seems fixed in this debate when trying to understand the argument, if this new 3rd option could be introduced and even if this restrict the ethos of montage in some way it would still allow some flexibly in certain situations in a traditional sense with a complex midi keyboard rig having a 3rd Midi Mode (Midi+) which has been missing from Montage as part of the stardard we have always known which many have called for..this includes a famous name in a recent interview while talking about his on-stage keyboard rig when complimenting the Montage, Don't get me wrong Montage is still a fantastic keyboard but there is room for further improvement, Let's hope the engineers at Yamaha consider this, So to conclude...this would be a 3rd options not a fixed position to compliment the other two Midi Modes for Montage

Posted : 25/03/2018 10:28 am

I completely agree with Stefan. I have a Montage 7. Really satisfied with sounds, controller etc., but highly disappointed with this strange MIDI structure. I am also rather tired of many and many attempt to justify such decision, that, indeed, seems somehow derived by technical design constraints. It is, in matter of fact, a step back with respect to previous Motifs and other synths/workstations on the market. I hope engineers will find a technical solution to this lack in future firmware update. Please stop to try to convince me I'm not understanding the "philosophy" of the machine.

Posted : 26/03/2018 9:13 am
Jeroen
Eminent Member

+1

Waiting for two years now for that 3rd option. So again, Yamaha, please.....!

Posted : 26/03/2018 11:54 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Plugged in the Montage last night and unfortunately, there is no workaround which enables the configuration where an external controller with one MIDI channel can control multiple PARTs while the local keyboard can control a different set of PARTs.

If there was a way to keep MIDI mode = Multi while making select PART(s) not participate (like block external MIDI altogether or keep select PARTs on their PART# channel instead of the assigned single channel) then this would work - but neither of these options exist.

There are currently the following options to realize your goal of using an external MIDI controller for some PARTs while using the local keyboard to control different PARTs:

1) Swap out the 88 key weighted MIDI controller with another one that can transmit multiple MIDI channels (zones). These can get pricey because there are few MIDI-only controllers that meet these requirements.

2) Place non-PC dedicated hardware between that can take a single MIDI channel and route that channel out to multiple channels.

http://www.ees-musik.de/html_gb/produkte_procon_gb.html
This device "multiplies" a single channel to up to 16 other channels:
http://www.ees-musik.de/html_gb/produkte_mulkan_gb.html

There are other devices out there.

3) Place a PC between and use a plugin or other software to route ("multiply" ) the MIDI channel.

http://www.midikarval.net/MidiMapper.html
http://www.bome.com

or MIDI pipes or ...

There are also free solutions out there for both plugins and stand-alone.

Posted : 26/03/2018 3:00 pm
Simon

Paolo wrote:

I completely agree with Stefan. I have a Montage 7. Really satisfied with sounds, controller etc., but highly disappointed with this strange MIDI structure. I am also rather tired of many and many attempt to justify such decision, that, indeed, seems somehow derived by technical design constraints. It is, in matter of fact, a step back with respect to previous Motifs and other synths/workstations on the market. I hope engineers will find a technical solution to this lack in future firmware update. Please stop to try to convince me I'm not understanding the "philosophy" of the machine.

+1

Posted : 26/03/2018 6:12 pm

Can't login to this forum via Chrome and Windows 10 (overlay appears with no login form), so there's that.

I arrive to this forum completely disappointed.

Put simply, Yamaha's decision to hardcode the MIDI receive channel for each part makes it impossible to create a split on an external controller.
This is a VERY BIG DEAL.
The Kronos achieves this and I falsely assumed Yamaha would as well.

I use a 2 keyboard setup with a Roland A88 as my primary keybed (the lightest, best weighted controller out there) and the Montage as the brains of the operation.

I want to do the vast majority of my playing from the A88 - thus I have the need to program splits for it.
I NEED to control multiple Montage parts from the A88 (transmitting on MIDI channel 2), but with this stunning revelation, I CAN'T.

I'm sort of in disbelief, actually.

Yamaha, if you're listening: a critical feature is missing from the MIDI implementation of this otherwise stunning keyboard and it represents such a problem for me as to possibly have to turn around and SELL it and go back to my Kronos.

Posted : 08/04/2018 5:06 pm
Bad Mister

Robert wrote:

Can't login to this forum via Chrome and Windows 10 (overlay appears with no login form), so there's that.

Put simply, Yamaha's decision to hardcode the MIDI receive channel for each part makes it impossible to create a split on an external controller.
This is a VERY BIG DEAL.

I use a 2 keyboard setup with a Roland A88 as my primary keybed (the lightest, best weighted controller out there) and the Montage as the brains of the operation.

I want to do the vast majority of my playing from the A88 - thus I have the need to program splits for it.
I NEED to control multiple Montage parts from the A88 (transmitting on MIDI channel 2), but with this stunning revelation, I CAN'T.

Yamaha, if you're listening: a critical feature is missing from the MIDI implementation of this otherwise stunning keyboard and it represents such a problem for me as to possibly have to turn around and SELL it and go back to my Kronos.

see you’re other post

https://yamahasynth.com/forum/set-the-receive-channel-of-each-part-individually#reply-29965

Sorry, I don’t know the capabilities of your particular controller, but if you wish to play the MONTAGE from an external controller that transmits on a single MIDI Channel, you need only match the MIDI I/O Mode Channel to the (Single) MIDI Channel you are sending.

On the MONTAGE:
Press [UTILITY] > touch “Settings” > touch “Advanced” > Set the MIDI I/O Mode = Single, Select a MIDI Channel for communication.

You can now play the MONTAGE same as it would be if you were playing the MONTAGE’s own Keys. All splits and layers are respected and play correctly.
It is fairly simple to setup and do what you require. Give it a try, let us know.

Posted : 08/04/2018 8:58 pm

Still doesn't resolve the problem if you need a couple of splits and layers to be played from the weighted keyboard (using Montage sounds) and other splits and layers sounds to be played from the un-weighted synth action of the say Montage 6 or 7. I prefer to play certain sounds with a weighted action and others from the unweighted keybed and have access to both at the same time..

Posted : 09/04/2018 2:31 am

@david is absolutely correct regarding this "ONE MIDI CHANNEL PER PART" limitation. Montage allows programming splits on the Montage OR an external controller, BUT NOT BOTH. Kronos does this and even Yamaha Motif did this! This is expected MIDI implementation, available for years and utilized by MANY pro players who expect to use Montage 6 or 7 as the master keyboard with an attached weighted controller (e.g. Roland A88, R-64, etc). I need to be able to program splits for BOTH the Montage AND my weighted controller - not one or the other.

Posted : 10/04/2018 6:04 pm
Jeroen
Eminent Member

+1 Robert

Posted : 11/04/2018 11:05 am

This is a VERY BIG DEAL.

This statement needs to be amended and the news is even worse: The forced single MIDI receive channel per part means you cannot program splits OR EVEN LAYERS for a standard external controller keyboard.

Posted : 21/04/2018 2:52 pm
 Tom
Trusted Member

This subject. Has been Beat to death.
Yamaha Will or won't Add a 3rd midi option(IE: What we were used to before this spaceship landed.)
And Because The Montage uses. MIDI internally. If they do add a 3rd. midi option. We will lose some Functionality.

Now The Midi out. is a joy to use.

MIDI IN. Well If you want to use a Multi Channel External controller. It poses a lot of work on the players part. So like Me. Just use the Montage As the MAIN keyboard.

You will save yourself a lot of time. By just Accepting it. It is a Great master Keyboard.(Not for DAWS and their controls)
I am not Sure Why The BK-7m was viewed as a problem. You can control it very easy with the Montage. Just do not try to use it as Midi IN.
For the Easiest workflow. The Montage. Has to be the Driver. Otherwise. You find yourself Setting up all this Mapping. That is just too much work.
And The montage Keybed Feel And Action. Is One of the best out there. So Desire to play another Controller. Should be nullified. As They do not come close to The Montages keybed.

Now This is from someone. Who complained and Complained about the Midi In and Tight Spacing of the Keybed.
I have just learned. There really is nothing equal or better out there. So why bother. Change your mindset and Workflow a little.
And You will be happy.
The Kronos Keybed. While a Great Keybed. Feels too light and Near Cheap Feeling(IMHO)(No weight).

Now at one time. I actually felt. The montage. Was limiting me via Midi IN. And If you use Your OLD workflow. It does.
You just have to Change a little.

I am constantly amazed. By What can be done with the Montage. New Items come up all the time(That I do not know about). And I sit there going. Really? You can do that.

Thank You Tom

Posted : 21/04/2018 6:44 pm
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member

3) Place a PC between and use a plugin or other software to route ("multiply";) the MIDI channel.

Cubase has something called the MIDI Input Transformer that might be able to do this sort of thing.

Posted : 21/04/2018 6:55 pm
Bad Mister

This statement needs to be amended and the news is even worse: The forced single MIDI receive channel per part means you cannot program splits OR EVEN LAYERS for a standard external controller keyboard.

You can absolutely Program splits and layers and play them from a “standard external controller keyboard.

Robert, if you own one, set the [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > Set MIDI IN/OUT = MIDI > touch “Advanced” > Set the MIDI I/O Mode = Single > Set the MIDI I/O Ch. = your controller’s Transmit channel.

You can play up to an eight way split/layer.

Posted : 21/04/2018 7:39 pm
 Tom
Trusted Member

This subject. Has been Beat to death.
Yamaha Will or won't Add a 3rd midi option(IE: What we were used to before this spaceship landed.)
And Because The Montage uses. MIDI internally. If they do add a 3rd. midi option. We will lose some Functionality.

Now The Midi out. is a joy to use.

MIDI IN. Well If you want to use a Multi Channel External controller. It poses a lot of work on the players part. So like Me. Just use the Montage As the MAIN keyboard.

You will save yourself a lot of time. By just Accepting it. It is a Great master Keyboard.(Not for DAWS and their controls)
I am not Sure Why The BK-7m was viewed as a problem. You can control it very easy with the Montage. Just do not try to use it as Midi IN.
For the Easiest workflow. The Montage. Has to be the Driver. Otherwise. You find yourself Setting up all this Mapping. That is just too much work.
And The montage Keybed Feel And Action. Is One of the best out there. So Desire to play another Controller. Should be nullified. As They do not come close to The Montages keybed.

Now This is from someone. Who complained and Complained about the Midi In and Tight Spacing of the Keybed.
I have just learned. There really is nothing equal or better out there. So why bother. Change your mindset and Workflow a little.
And You will be happy.
The Kronos Keybed. While a Great Keybed. Feels too light and Near Cheap Feeling(IMHO)(No weight).

Now at one time. I actually felt. The montage. Was limiting me via Midi IN. And If you use Your OLD workflow. It does.
You just have to Change a little.

I am constantly amazed. By What can be done with the Montage. New Items come up all the time(That I do not know about). And I sit there going. Really? You can do that.

Thank You Tom

Posted : 21/04/2018 7:54 pm
Page 2 / 4
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us