Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Montage A/D Inputs and Mic?

35 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Currently I'm using an Ensemble audio interface to get a mic into my DAW. I haven't purchased a Montage yet, just doing my homework as to what can be done with it.
My mic goes into a TC Voice Live and the TC to my Ensemble. Just wondering if it is at all possible to run the (TC L/R Outs) thru the AD inputs and then setup a Montage audio track (DAW) while simultaneously playing Montage midi into the DAW and Eliminating the Ensemble? I know this is a pretty loaded question, I hope I'm being clear.

Can plugins output thru Montage? Please forgive my ignorance. Thanks.

Posted : 28/09/2016 5:57 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Louis,

Welcome to YamahaSynth! The answer is yes to both questions.

The Montage A/D Input can handle a mono or a stereo input, mic or line level.
It has its own channel, with its own two Insertion Effects and its own routing to any of Montages 32 USB bus outputs. So you can play and sing and record everything to its own discreet Audio Track, with its own effects.

In live performing situations you can route the A/D Input to its the Assignable L/R Outputs or to the Main L/R Output where you can apply the System Reverb, Variation and Master Effects.

The A/D Input can also be used as a modulation/modifier source within Montage's Motion Control Synthesis Engine. It can be used to with Montage's built-in Vocoder, etc., etc., etc.

Posted : 29/09/2016 2:42 am
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

Hi Louis,
Welcome to YamahaSynth! The answer is yes to both questions.

Thank you and just to be clear..

This is good news.

So you can play and sing and record everything to its own discreet Audio Track, with its own effects.

In DAW in real time?

Then it is possible to route out of a DAW (Monitor and Playback) a VI track to Montage Main Outs (Speakers)
I hope I am making some sense here and that you understand what it is I am trying to achieve. Thank you for your input.

Posted : 29/09/2016 4:04 am
Bad Mister

In DAW in real time?

Yes. Or one at a time, it's your choice.

Then it is possible to route out of a DAW (Monitor and Playback) a VI track to Montage Main Outs (Speakers)
I hope I am making some sense here and that you understand what it is I am trying to achieve. Thank you for your input.

Tell us what you are trying to achieve.

If you have an open microphone, it is recommended that you use headphones and turn your speakers off during recording.

VI track? Sorry, I don't know what that is.
Tell us exactly what you envision doing.

Posted : 29/09/2016 11:24 am
Topic starter

VI track?

Virtual Instrument.
For example, when loading say Omnisphere to a track in the DAW it outputs to my Ensemble Main outs.
Now, by omitting the Ensemble is it possible to route out Omni (VI) to the Montage for monitoring and playback?

Tell us exactly what you envision doing.

Omitting the Audio Interface (Ensemble) and still be able to monitor and record a mic and VIs in my DAW.
Thank you.

Posted : 29/09/2016 4:26 pm
Bad Mister

Yes and yes.

The Montage is a 32-in/6-out USB audio interface for your computer 44.1kHz/24-bit
If you require higher resolution it can do 48, 96 or 192kHz but it is then an 8-in/6-out interface.

Your virtual instruments will sound better!

Posted : 29/09/2016 4:47 pm
Topic starter

Last question.. Ok, So in my DAW I would select the Montage for my Audio and Midi interface. In Montage select the correct Templates. If I choose will I be able to use my DAWs FX on my vocal track? I would think yes but please confirm so I can close this thread.. πŸ˜‰

Posted : 29/09/2016 5:50 pm
Bad Mister

Yes, of course.

Posted : 29/09/2016 6:56 pm
Topic starter

Thank you for your assistance BM.

Posted : 29/09/2016 7:14 pm
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

Hi Phil,
I think I just hit a gotcha. The owners manual says that the A/D inputs are TR. (Unbalanced) My mic and the TC VocieLive are balanced. Bummer..

Posted : 20/01/2017 4:34 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Louis wrote:
I think I just hit a gotcha. The owners manual says that the A/D inputs are TR. (Unbalanced) My mic and the TC VocieLive are balanced. Bummer..

A direct box is usually used in this situation. Since the direct box is typically going to output an XLR - you'll also need an XLR to TRS cable. There are two genders of XLR - so be sure to get the right one which matches the direct box. Direct boxes can be found under $20. You can probably find what you need at your local music store so you can be sure everything you have works together. Direct boxes and cables are good general things to have at your ready.

Posted : 20/01/2017 4:59 pm
Topic starter

Jason,
In all my years I have never had to use a DI box so I'm new to this. The box will convert the balanced to unbalanced and still provide a good signal? Can you please brief me on what is taking place here in the conversion? Thank you for your input Jason.

Posted : 20/01/2017 5:14 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Source: search engine search term "direct box"

Result:

What is a direct box for?
Direct boxes are often referred to as β€œDI” boxes. This stands for β€œDirect Injection” as their main purpose is to convert unbalanced and/or high impedance instrument signals into a format suitable for direct connection to a mixing console's mic input - without the use of a microphone.

What is the function of a DI box?
A DI unit is a device typically used in recording studios to connect a high-impedance, line level, unbalanced output signal to a low-impedance, microphone level, balanced input, usually via XLR connector. DIs are frequently used to connect an electric guitar or electric bass to a mixing console's microphone input.

DI unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DI_unit

Posted : 20/01/2017 5:19 pm
Topic starter

Thank you for the breakdown, you beat me to the search. Now I'm a little confused. I'm looking to convert my balanced to unbalanced TR signal for input to the Montage A/D. There is something that I'm not seeing clearly here, sorry Jason. The above explanation is opposite of what I have to achieve.

Posted : 20/01/2017 6:05 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The signal flow is out from your TC device then into the direct box unbalanced input then out of the direct box probably XLR output then to a XLR to TRS cable which is plug into the a / D input of the Montage. Reading the documentation on direct box you can see that it refers to eventually going to a mixer input . In this case the mixer input is the Montage a / D input . Other than replacing mixer with Montage there's no difference in this scenario. Please excuse the formatting this is what text-to-speech does.

Posted : 20/01/2017 7:58 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us