Montage Connect

31 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Ah-Ha! That makes perfect sense combined with what Bad Mister had already said - I actually think I understand it. But I have no idea how to connect Port 1 to Port 3 etc: etc: - is that on the Montage or on the computer? Or both? I'm delighted that I can use Connect and still have my MIDI set-up live as well. But I do need instruction on how to achieve this desirable end. I had a look at the Midi i/o page and the 'Advanced' page too, but nothing there resembles these Ports. The Manuals don't help because they were written before 'Connect' arrived, and the 'Connect' Manual doesn't go into that sort of handy detail. So Help! please!

After that (maybe before!) there's the question of getting the Montage recognised and represented by the computer - it appears to be OK, but how do I get the Montage into the Connect window? All Go, ennit?

Posted : 20/11/2016 6:45 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

MONTAGE-1 and MONTAGE-3 are names given for the midi streams as previously described by the Mac or PC driver. You will not see this nomenclature on the Montage keyboard side.

Go to the device list to see these options as they will be automatically detected by Cubase.

Posted : 21/11/2016 9:03 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Jason - not at the Montage yet, but I don't have Cubase installed, so hoping there's another way ...

Posted : 21/11/2016 9:33 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Rod wrote:

Hello Jason - not at the Montage yet, but I don't have Cubase installed, so hoping there's another way ...

Maybe I'm missing the issue here - but I thought you were communicating having installed Cubase and not able to find devices hooked up to the MIDI connector on the back of Montage. "MONTAGE-3" is the answer. I had thought you were trying to get your USB-connected-PC to see MIDI-connected devices.

You do not need Cubase for this, but you mentioned installing it - so I figured I would reference your "last known" environment. Apparently that's changed.

Regardless - the driver is at a lower level and all MIDI / audio applications targeting Montage will use the same driver with the same "MONTAGE-1" and "MONTAGE-3" labels.

What is your ideal "other way"? - so I understand what you're trying to do exactly now your environment is different and goals appear different or altered.

Posted : 21/11/2016 9:44 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Jason - I don't know how you got the impression that I have or use Cubase. I used it many years in the past when I was running a software studio, and found it too cumbersome, so ditched it. So no Cubase! Nor anything like Cubase either.

My problem now is that I have installed 'Connect' on my Windows 10 desktop computer, with all the right signals in the 'Set up' window (Online, Montage, and v1.20.4). Nothing saved, nothing loaded, nothing to recall, no songs imported. The 'Save' window shows the drives on my computer, that is, 'C' drive (the computer hard disk), 'D' drive (the DVD), and 'E' drive (which is actually the USB belonging on the Montage). That's it. The Montage does not appear, although it is connected via USB. Also, my MIDI connected synths do not work as I'm in USB mode on the Montage.

So I have two problems. One - how do I connect to the MIDI system via USB so that my connected synths will work. And two - how do I find the Montage on Connect? I had assumed that it would appear in the windows on Connect as a connected drive - but it does not.

My 'other' way is any other way but Cubase!

Posted : 21/11/2016 2:04 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Rod wrote:

Hello Jason - I don't know how you got the impression that I have or use Cubase.
[...]

So I have two problems. One - how do I connect to the MIDI system via USB so that my connected synths will work. And two - how do I find the Montage on Connect? I had assumed that it would appear in the windows on Connect as a connected drive - but it does not.

My 'other' way is any other way but Cubase!

Rod, you're right - you never said. Sorry about that, I'm fallible and crossed threads with another user in the "basic usage/understanding" category. You didn't say exactly what the platform was where you were trying to discover your MIDI (DIN port on back of Montage) connected devices. It would work similar as I described. Somewhere all software is going to give the driver interface controls where you select the device out of a list. You'll see "MONTAGE-1" and "MONTAGE-3" at this config level. You'll have to express what environment (software) exactly on your PC you are trying to use to "get to" your MIDI (DIN) devices.

As I mentioned before, I'm not going to be able to help with Connect - so I am only focused on one of the two questions you have raised.

I'm not going to critique your eschewing Cubase either. Whatever rationale you have is valid for your own personal purposes. Since Yamaha and Steinberg are part of the same family - you'll get the "best" support here for Steinberg solutions used in conjunction with Montage vs. "3rd party" - with trailing support the further away you get. "Closer" or "further away" is defined as user-base. If every single user used the same software (3rd party) then Yamaha would naturally be a bit more invested in making sure the user experience is positive even though it's not "their" software. Even so, it's tough to give anything other than basic support for "off broadway" software given the sheer number of solutions out there in the public domain/free, consumer, prosumer, and pro verticals.

This isn't a critique of your decision, just a description of the landscape.

Hope when you mill around your software environment (whatever it is) you're able to find the MONTAGE-1 and MONTAGE-3 keywords and are able to translate that into something that works for you for the MIDI question.

As far as what I've offered thus far - I really haven't invoked "Cubase" as a solution for anything. Just made a reference to it when describing where you may find the settings. This is going to be similar in any MIDI/DAW software.

Posted : 21/11/2016 11:07 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Chris, and thanks, but I'm lothe to try to re-install over the top of what seems to have been a good install in that Montage Connect is up, but not running. I'll try to break down my problems into stages ...

I am running Windows 10 Home premium on a 64 bit desktop computer, and have successfully installed Montage Connect (in the 'Set Up page I have the signal 'Online' at top left, and it correctly shows 'Montage' and 'v1.20.4' in the dialog boxes). I do not have Cubase or any other computer sequencer on my system - I am attempting to use Montage Connect as a Standalone item.

When in the 'Save' mode, the Connect window shows just the drives on my computer, that is, C Drive (the hard disk) and D Drive (the DVD player). It also shows any USB Drives that I may have plugged in (currently none). So Stage 1 question is - should it not also show the Montage as a USB connected Drive?

Posted : 22/11/2016 4:44 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Sorry Jason - I missed your reply as I missed the little "load more replies' button!. My software is standard Windows 10 from Microsoft - that's all I know about it. I did have a look through the very long lists under 'Program files' and found that 'Montage Connect' is listed under 'Program files' whereas 'Yamaha Steinberg USB Drives) is listed under 'Program files x86' which I think are 32 bit and 64 bit respectively. Nothing else.

In Control Panel under 'Devices and Printers' the Montage is shown, but nothing about 'Montage-1' and 'Montage-3' I'm afraid. It looks to me as if the 'Standalone' version just won't work without the services of a highly skilled computer AND audio engineer wtih about 5 degrees from MIT. It seems unfair to lead simpe souls like me up the garden path with wondrous promises ...

Posted : 22/11/2016 5:28 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Montage Connect details / usage can be found here: https://www.yamahasynth.com/blog/montage-connect

You are using Montage Connect in standalone mode - so ignore references to the VST / DAW.

Basically Montage connect allows you to transfer files between your hard drive and Montage. When the docs say "DAW to Montage" - in standalone mode this would be "Hard disk to Montage".

Montage connect is to connect Montage - not external devices. Montage Connect is a file-system utility (Montage file system to PC file system). For MIDI control (musical) - you need another piece of software like Cubase or any other similar software out there - lots of choices. This other musical MIDI software would be the gateway to your MIDI-connected devices and would show the "MONTAGE-3" as an option.

If you do not have the right tools to do the job - then yes, the job is hard. Using a screwdriver as a hammer works but it takes longer and the screw driver often rolls off the nail hitting your hand. In both cases - some of the pain is self inflicted although I believe what you're trying to do with external MIDI hardware (you haven't really said what exactly you're trying to do with it and why you thought Montage Connect should connect to them - because what is Montage Connect - something with MONTAGE in the name - going to know about 3rd party MIDI file systems? It's a file system - specific to Montage - application).

For me, when I setup Cubase I was expecting to have to do lots of setup. I didn't. It more or less auto detected everything and was ready to go out of the box.

Posted : 22/11/2016 6:36 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Jason - that was quick! I had read that article, thank you, but it does operate in the Cubase realm and it becomes impossible to disentangle it. It also says, right up front, that Connect can operate as a standalone item, and then ignores that entire scenario. A similar article written for its use as a standalone item would be very handy ... but unlikely! I understood that Connect could not only be used as a memory Bank for the Montage, but also to re-couple with MIDI to drive external synths from Montage. Why Yamaha decided to uncouple the link that was already there when switching from MIDI to USB on the Montage, I have no idea. So it would appear that either I must install Cubase (although I have absolutely no use for it other than to make Connect work as it should), or forget the entire Connect concept. I intensely dislike being railroaded, so will pause for a bit and sort out whether Connect is worth it to me.

You ask what I use MIDI for, and it is to drive both my Korg M3 and my Tyros 3 from the Montage. I have barely touched the surface, but the sound combinations are virtually limitless, and with very little playing about with parameters - too many parameters can be counter-productive unless you have a very precise image in your mind of what you want. Which I rarely have - absolute amateur dabbler with no end product in mind. Simple personal enjoyment (but at vast expense!). But that's what music is for ...

Posted : 22/11/2016 8:04 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

There's only one of the Montage Connect features that will have a side effect on MIDI - but Montage Connect isn't really there to control your external devices. It's there to control the Montage saving and loading files.

One file type to load is the X7B which is the edit buffer. The edit buffer is the current state of Montage as you change settings/etc before saving the settings to a performance, file, etc. You could save an X7B which does something to change MIDI settings and these could have somewhat of an impact on connected devices.

"Driving" is nondescript. But if you want to send a stream of MIDI commands through USB MIDI - and want these to be note on/off - etc then Montage Connect isn't the tool to do this. It's for file system I/O - some of which can "queue up" MIDI settings - but isn't really a vehicle for direct MIDI I/O.

I said before - replace "DAW" with hard disk in the pictures which are labeled in the tutorial. This is the translation for stand-alone more or less. I haven't gone through the entire doc - but there isn't much to detangle since the application has a short list of things it does.

Posted : 22/11/2016 8:20 pm
 Reed

Mine was removed but easily re-installed.

Bad Mister wrote:

The Bosendorfer should not be removed by an update.

Posted : 18/01/2017 4:41 pm

Rod wrote:

So no Cubase! Nor anything like Cubase either.

Rod, I've been following this thread for the past 2 or 3 days and there is a lot of good info here but..

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong..

Rod,
If you don't plan on using a DAW then I really don't see any need for the Connect Plugin. It's purpose is for transferring a song you may have started on the Montage and want to move it to your DAW or record directly to the computer (DAW). Then when you save the project file to the DAW it will save the performance data so that when you reopen the file in your DAW it comes back with all of your instruments and settings. Maybe watch some Youtube vids to better understand "Connect". I do not think "Connect" has anything to do with your midi issues.. I do not own the Montage as of yet, just trying to be helpful.

I may be wrong but I believe everyone here is trying to help fix something which is not broken but possibly misunderstood? 🙂

Posted : 19/01/2017 4:19 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Without native support on the Montage hardware platform (the black keyboard with a scoop in the back) for .X7B files - Montage Connect is currently the only program capable of creating these files and also "playing" these files (MIDI SysEx commands) to setup the current edit buffer to match a saved .X7B file.

"Loading" .X7B files from other users on to your keyboard does not require you to backup anything - after all, it is updating volatile space (you'll lose it if you turn it off) vs. non-volatile space (something saved aka "stored" and sticks around past power-offs). Whereas updating some other aspects like user files (X7U) require you to backup your current user space and libraries (X7L) have a limit of how many can exist at once - I believe X7B is the best method for handing off an idea from your keyboard to someone else's with minimum disruption and also assuming you're using internal presets and not custom waveforms.

Even for custom waveforms (from other users), I'd rather have X7B files and the sample data as a ZIP file with the file or files.

Currently, Rod has used the standalone for X7B usage - which I believe has served him well once the kinks of how he related to the software and terms were ironed out.

Posted : 19/01/2017 7:44 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Louis - thanks for the comment, and you are largely right in that 'Connect' is intended for DAW users, but as Jason says, it has another use in allowing Montage owners to swap created sounds (should they so wish). This would not be possible without 'Connect'. Do you have your Montage yet? Whole new world, man! I've had mine going on 6 months and I'm still finding stuff I had no idea it could do - not to mention stuff I have no idea how to do ...

Posted : 19/01/2017 9:22 am
Page 2 / 3
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us