Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Montage screen problems

18 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hey guys im new on this forum, im having some trouble with my montage screen, it doesnt metter where you touch the screen, a white window pop up to chose wich category do you want, performance or user (???) and i cant do anything, anywhere you touch the screen the same windown from the left opens is a white window to select betwen performance or user bank or something i dont know, but i cant change betwen sounds or pick anything else by touching the screen, i have to do it with the arrow keys or the wheel, i think i may have touch something in options i dont know, i just want to change sounds with the touchscreen but like i said, doesnt matter where you touch all the screen does is show a white screen from the left asking "performance or user" wich i dont get it, thanks.

Posted : 14/02/2018 2:31 am
Bad Mister

anywhere you touch the screen the same windown from the left opens is a white window to select betwen performance or user bank or something i dont know

First, sorry you are having an issue with your MONTAGE screen...

Can you take a picture or describe *exactly* what the screen says... we are pretty sure it doesn't say "select between performance or user bank"?

That will help... cause most MONTAGES don't do what yours is doing.

Posted : 14/02/2018 3:10 am
Topic starter

i will upload a picture tomorrow, mine does, it didnt before but now it does it every time, even if you turn it off and on again, you change from piano ep to piano cfx and instate of changing the sound a white window from the left shows that says something about performance and user as 2 choices of something, but i will take a picture and upload tomorrow, is too late now (2 am), thanks

Posted : 14/02/2018 4:46 am
Topic starter

hello again! i think i figured it out half the problem, i attached a photo so you can look at it, doesnt matter where i touch the screen it always opens a white window with only 2 options. I figured it out that those are the options for CATEGORY, it looks that my montage screen is stuck in that category box and when you press something else it keeps reciving the order to open that option, you can see it better on the picture (is the same to say for example that no matter what you choose it always goes to piano category, you try to click on organ and it opens the piano mode, is like is stuck in that category choice no matter what you click on the screen),
The other problem is that when you are not in category search, and you are in a different screen mode, like performance, when you click on things nothing happens but a big red dot at the top of the screen, you click an option on the screen and the red dot shows for a second and then gone, same with every option always shows a red dot, idk what happend it was working fine and is new and i dont move it anywhere, is in my bedroom on a key stand.

Posted : 14/02/2018 1:44 pm
Bad Mister

Okay, so with more details, it seems you can view other screens. The “pop-in” menu appears any time you touch a box with the “pop-in” icon or a downward pointing chevron.

In your screenshot, you touched the “Bank” box... I can see the highlight.
You are offered the three search areas: ALL, PRESET, USER

ALL — literally, means every Performance in your MONTAGE will appear in the search field
PRESET — means your search will be limited to just the ones Yamaha burned into memory at the Factory in Hamamatdu, Japan...
USER — means your search will be limited to just the Performances you have placed in the 640 locations reserved for your own custom (user) data.

We can also tell from your screenshot, that you have old firmware. A new firmware (an operating system for hardware is called “firmware”) was just released on February 7th... please visit the MONTAGE Product page and DOWNLOAD the new version 2,00 and the new MONTAGE CONNECT computer utility v1.0.3... new features, new Performances, etc... it’s free.

But first let’s fix your screen....
First, remove the removable plastic covering, if you have not already done so...it can distort your view and causes inaccurate touches.

When you see the *red dot* (that’s referred to as “Animation” and shows you where exactly your Touch is being registered...) so Red is a warning that the spot you are touching is slightly askew of where it is being registered... you will need to compensate so that a *white* dot lands in the box you are attempting to tap. It is clear from your mention of the “red dot” that...

...You need to Calibrate your screen! This is easy enough...

Here’s how:
Press [UTILITY]
Touch “Settings” in the first column along the left of the screen... compensate so a white dot lands on SETTINGS.
Touch “System”
Touch the box that says “Calibrate Touch Panel”
This will have chase the white dot around the screen five times... this will adjust the screen response.

Along the bottom of the screen is the current firmware in your instrument. Current is version 2.00.3
Please update your MONTAGE, your firmware is quite old now.

Alternative Method:
If your touch screen is so uncalibrated that you cannot compensate to land in the box you are targeting, you can use the hardware right front panel buttons to make touchscreen selections. here’s how

Press [UTILITY]
Press [SHIFT] + [PART SELECT 1/1] top row to select “Settings”
Press [SHIFT] + [PART SELECT 6/14] second row to select “System”
Touch the “Calibrate Touch Panel” box
Chase the white dot five times, your screen is recalibrated.

Let us know.

Posted : 14/02/2018 2:29 pm
 Tino

If you can't touch "Calibrate Touch Panel" on the screen, you can run it directly with buttons [UTILITY] and [PART COMMON].
( [PART COMMON] is just on the right side of [UTILITY] ).

Hope that helps

Posted : 14/02/2018 5:07 pm
Topic starter

Hello! thank you BAD MISTER and TINO for the help, it was exactly that, i did a calibration and now everything is working fine, i dont know how that happend? i didnt touch anything and the calibration was way off (i had to use the SHIF+1/16) the plastic cover didnt help, when i did remove it, the screen started to response a lot faster, so thank you once again, and i dont know about this calibrations, i have a korg trinity with touch screen for 20 years now and never need it calibration, but the montage with 5 months needs a calibration?... anyway thank you again!

Posted : 15/02/2018 1:53 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Korg's flagship keyboards have had many many many models/generations with touch screens. They were doing touch in 1995 before touchscreens went mainstream in phones.

Montage is the maiden voyage for touch in a Yamaha flagship synth. It takes time to develop and refine technology. Generally first generations are imperfect.

That said all technology has variance in components and manufacturing. Your experience seems atypical. Maybe you were just unlucky. If it goes out of calibration again and again perhaps, if under warranty, consider warranty service.

Posted : 15/02/2018 5:09 am

I have a question about the touch screen display protective film. When I unboxed my new Montage 8 there was a flimsy film overtop of the display cutout sitting on the metal frame so it was about 6.5 x 4 inches (Clearly bigger than the touch display). I calibrated the display and was going to add a screen protector but noticed what appears to be possibly another plastic screen covering that I can see move ever so slightly when I touch the display. Is this another covering that needs to be removed? I don't want to mess up the display panel because I can't see an edge to lift up to remove. I put some magic tape at the edge to see if I could pull it up but it isn't sticky enough but I don't want to ruin anything. Is the touch display hard glass like an iPhone?

Thanks, J McMath

Posted : 30/01/2019 12:01 am
Bad Mister

I have a question about the touch screen display protective film. When I unboxed my new Montage 8 there was a flimsy film overtop of the display cutout sitting on the metal frame so it was about 6.5 x 4 inches (Clearly bigger than the touch display).

Take that oversized plastic covering and discard it.

I calibrated the display and was going to add a screen protector but noticed what appears to be possibly another plastic screen covering that I can see move ever so slightly when I touch the display.

No screen protector is necessary. Please do not void your warranty by adding non-recommended additions to your instrument.

Is this another covering that needs to be removed?

No.

I don't want to mess up the display panel because I can't see an edge to lift up to remove. I put some magic tape at the edge to see if I could pull it up but it isn't sticky enough but I don't want to ruin anything. Is the touch display hard glass like an iPhone?

No. The screen is nothing like a phone. Please do not mess with your screen and please do not attempt to “pull it up”.

_ if you are going to do that kind of thing, don’t put it in print on the internet (it will make it hard to warranty it if you admit abuse) (grin!)

Posted : 30/01/2019 4:26 am

Less than 1 year of use.
I have Display Problems.

Posted : 01/06/2019 9:18 am
Bad Mister

Less than 1 year of use.

Fortunately for you you’re under warranty (unless they determine you’ve been abusing the instrument).

Posted : 01/06/2019 9:28 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Not the same product line - but a DGX consumer grade screen exhibits the same kind of issue and is related to susceptibility to failure at the ribbon cable-to-LCD connection. This looks like a similar issue. The DGX one was widespread with many users (including me) noticing the failure after 5 or so years of ownership. For that product the screen is not necessarily required - so dealing with it (certainly that instrument is way out of warranty) is livable. Hopefully your screen does not represent one edge of a failure bell curve where others will see this in mass later.

That other DGX issue also seemed related to environmentals. Higher humidity areas were more susceptible.

Posted : 01/06/2019 3:55 pm

Reanimation
https://youtu.be/3QS5EI4yZjA

Posted : 03/06/2019 1:55 pm
Bad Mister

Not only not the same product line, not even the same kind of screen. Do you need help finding an authorized repair shop? If not, do so.

Posted : 03/06/2019 2:03 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us