Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

RE: Hybrid MIDI I/O Trouble

29 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I tried the Hybrid mode together with Zone master. I think that maybe I don't fully understand though. Why don't they work at the same time? When I engage zone master, I cannot play from my external keyboard (no sound). When I disengage it, everything works. But then I have the same sound on both keyboards, which obviously I don't want. What goes wrong?

Posted : 23/09/2019 6:53 pm
Bad Mister

We moved your post to it’s own thread, although the same topic, what you maybe be attempting is certainly different.

Why don’t they work at the same time? They don’t, Zone functions require that they are in charge of what get transmitted Out — that is, using the MONTAGE as a master keyboard controller. It overrides the I/O Modes Single and Hybrid (which are focused on allowing simple one channel controllers can play the Multi Part MONTAGE Performances via MIDI).

Tell us what you are trying to do. Are you communicating with a computer, is a DAW involved, are there hardware synths/modules involved, are there soft synths involved, are there other controllers involved... (each setup is a snowflake).

We’ll try to help you sort it out.

Posted : 23/09/2019 7:09 pm
Topic starter

Bad Mister, thanks for your quick response. What I am trying to do is play the Montage piano (multi part) on the Montage keyboard. On my Nord I want to play let's say some strings and another instrument, coming from the Montage, as a split or layered. I'm using my Nord as an extra keyboard.

Posted : 23/09/2019 7:14 pm
Bad Mister

Bad Mister, thanks for your quick response. What I am trying to do is play the Montage piano (multi part) on the Montage keyboard. On my Nord I want to play let's say some strings and another instrument, coming from the Montage, as a split or layered. I'm using my Nord as an extra keyboard.

You are not using the MONTAGE as a MIDI Controller. Your description says you are transmitting from the Nord into the MONTAGE... the Nord is playing strings (?) layered or split with another MONTAGE sound (?) is that right?

How many Zones (MIDI Channels) does the Nord Transmit on?
Can it play its own Tone Generator and send Out on a different MIDI channel.

You will not be using the Zone function at all, the MONTAGE is not a controller in your description (if I’m reading it correctly).

Posted : 23/09/2019 7:25 pm
Topic starter

That is right, all the sound will be coming from the Montage. The Nord transmits 2 channels if I use a split. but 1 should be enough if I can make different note ranges or layers on the Montage. As long as I can play my piano on the Montage at the same time.

Posted : 23/09/2019 7:33 pm
Topic starter

For me, it makes sense to use the hybrid function; create different parts as a layer or as splits all on the same midi channel and then play them from the Nord keyboard. But when I do that, I cannot play other parts on the Montage, or can I? I am obligated to engage Kbd Ctrl. I guess what I would like is the exact opposite: one Midi channel for the parts without Kbd Ctrl engaged.

Posted : 23/09/2019 8:05 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Hybrid mode isn't what you were looking for to get this working. You were looking for reverse hybrid. Where the PARTs that had keyboard control OFF would somehow merge together into a single channel. This way you could have a multi-PART instrument in PARTs 9-16 controlled by an external master that your local Montage keyboard would not play (you wouldn't select any of these) and you could have another multi-PART instrument in PARTs 1-8 controlled by local keys.

Sticking a computer/tablet between to reroute the MIDI has always been an option and is really the best option despite the extra bulk and reliability concerns.

Posted : 23/09/2019 8:15 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

FYI ... I was typing up my last response at the same time you were typing yours and didn't see your "I guess ..." until I had already hit "send".

Posted : 23/09/2019 8:19 pm
Topic starter

I was afraid that would be the conclusion. Doesn't anybody use the Montage as a live instrument anymore? Without the need for a laptop? I considered this to be the main improvement in version 3.0...

Posted : 23/09/2019 8:23 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Press releases read:

Improved MIDI capability with a hybrid MIDI mode makes integrating MONTAGE or MODX with MIDI gear even easier.

Thus far, the example given for how to use this feature is in the context of a DAW (use with a computer). And for that application, it makes sense. It would help to have a few practical examples given as a deeper dive to help users understand if hybrid mode offers any new MIDI configuration options which help interfacing with external single-zone keyboards. Generally that's the sort of gear users have been pushing for more MIDI routing options and are going to be initially looking at Hybrid MIDI I/O mode as something that helps (rightly or wrongly).

Posted : 23/09/2019 8:25 pm
Stefan

I was afraid that would be the conclusion. Doesn't anybody use the Montage as a live instrument anymore? Without the need for a laptop? I considered this to be the main improvement in version 3.0...

I use it as a live instrument together with a MODX. I use an IPad connected to the Montage with Camelot. Works pretty well and I was using the IPad for the score sheets anyway. It was even connected via MIDI already because I use some button on the Montage for flipping pages.

Since I am a couple of thousand miles away from home I cannot try the new mode to see if it does everything I need. Will do that next week...

Posted : 23/09/2019 8:43 pm
Topic starter

I fail to see the use of so many possibilities for sending MIDI data, and none to receive it. I just want to use my Montage sounds, 2 keyboards, on stage without computer. A basic setup. What a disappointment.

Posted : 23/09/2019 8:45 pm
Topic starter

Wouldn't it be great to have a basic feature like free allocation of midi channels? I wonder why nobody ever has thought about that before. Despite around 1000 requests.

Posted : 24/09/2019 5:08 am
Jeroen
Eminent Member

What a great idea, Robert!

Free allocation of midi channels!

Then I can finally use the Montage 6 in my live-setup (without computers or ipads)!

It's about time after 3 years...

Posted : 24/09/2019 11:00 am
Member Admin

Have you guys tried the Hybrid mode yet? Try it first

Posted : 24/09/2019 11:11 am
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us