58 Posts
28 Users
0 Likes
13.5 K Views
 Aldo
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi to everyone,

just a simple question, does the new MONTAGE have a MIDI sequencer?

How many tracks?

I know that Montage comes available with CUBASE, but I still need on board Sequencer

Best Regards

Aldo

Posted : 18/01/2016 3:45 pm
Michele

As far I can read from the specs, Montage won't have an on board sequencer. All in all, Cubase is way better. Perhaps a file player will do the job.

Posted : 18/01/2016 4:03 pm
 Aldo
Eminent Member
Topic starter

But, if in the motion SEQ is possible to create sequence of Control Change ( this is what I'm assuming ) why I can't introduce also Note Midi Event?

Any clarification from Yammy will be more than welcome!

Posted : 18/01/2016 4:14 pm
Tommy
Eminent Member

Where can we read the specs, Michele? thanks!

Posted : 18/01/2016 4:21 pm
 Axel

sequencer Montage : aprox 130,000 notes - 480 ppq BPM 5-300 64 songs - 16 sequence tracks , tempo track, Scene track, - Realtime replace, Real time Overdub - Real time punch in/out...Montage original format, SMF format0, 1

Arpeggio : 8 parts simult. (max) + 10,000 types + user : 256 types + Motion sequencer: 8 + 1 Lanes (MAx)

Filters : 18 types !!

a real Beast !!

Posted : 24/01/2016 7:04 am
Bad Mister

But, if in the motion SEQ is possible to create sequence of Control Change ( this is what I'm assuming ) why I can't introduce also Note Midi Event?

The Motion Sequencer is a unique step event method to create control data... What you assign it to control is really a matter of choice. We will be posting more information on the awesome power of this feature. "Music in Motion" is what Montage is all about. Once you understand more about what Motion Control Synthesis is about it will become clear why you "...can't introduce also Note Midi Event"

I cannot wait to see Motion Control Synthesis set loose in the world of creative musicians... With any "new" instrument concept will come "new concept Music" - this is going to be huge and fun!

The MOTION SEQUENCER is completely different from a MIDI Sequencer... There is no Record button... Much like you can create your own user LFOs on most Yamaha synthesizers, the MS on Montage adds a new concept in creating control events. Sync'd to your music in new exciting ways... Implications for EDM are obvious, but the creative folks will invent new uses for this unbelievably powerful feature... It is better, in my humble opinion, than drawing controllers into a computer, because you interact with your hardware as you sculpt your own Motion Sequence... All tempo referenced - 8+1 Motion sequences can be created per Performance.

MIDI Sequencer

To be clear: the Montage has also has a MIDI sequencer. It is NOT like the Motif-series, but a sequencer nonetheless.
It can be best thought of as a "Direct Performance Recorder". For the last nine years I have tirelessly explained the benefits of recording from Performance mode to the Motif XS/MOX/Motif XF/MOXF sequencers. Your are in Performance mode playing and controlling multiple Parts - direct Performance Record allowed each Part to isolate the MIDI Events intended for it to its own MIDI track of the internal sequencer.

You could be playing one or more Parts directly, others could be responding to an assigned arpeggiator. All data was automatically divided out to a separate MIDI track of the internal sequencer. Then to complete the process, the XS/MOX/XF/MOXF copied the Performance (as a template) to either the Song or Pattern MIXING setup in the targeted mode... So that when you pressed play everything played back properly.

Simply trying to record directly from one of these previous models to a DAW required the MIDI Jedi Knight Merit Badge, which many learned when they first attempted this) - it is well documented in forums over the last 9 years! Direct Performance Record allowed you play, triggering multiple sounds together, the tech split the data to separate Midi channels, then copied and assigned each Part to a separate channel - reuniting it with its intended data. (Innovative) and certainly NOT how computer DAWs were designed to work.

The sequencer here in Montage is built to record all the functions, every nuance of your performance internally - no muss, no fuss, no one has to be "struck down to become much more powerful than you can ever imagine" in order to record all the data that the MONTAGE is rocking. And once you begin to get your head around what it is capable of, you begin to see why it is what it is.

New workflow... To be sure. Create your Performance, press RECORD... play your music. Montage will create a .mid file > drag n drop this into your favorite DAW continue your work. Or > play it back from the internal Seq outputting via USB > record it as audio to your favorite DAW. Montage features a mind numbing 32 audio outputs via USB. (Stereo plus 30 assignable outputs!)

All 16 Montage Parts can have dual Insertion Effects active.
You have to ask yourself "do I need to record Midi?"

A reason to record Midi is "changing your mind" ... About the sound selection, about the notes you've played; to edit controllers, fix mistakes. If all you have is MIDI, your work is still "in progress" - rendering it as audio turns it into a "finished" project ready for mass distribution.

New Era, new Workflows, next level stuff!

Our research shows, that a customer at this price point is likely already sequencing to a major DAW. Duplicating a sequencer for this level user is wasted power. The sequencer in Montage is designed to do what would be difficult for an external sequencer to do _ most have a focus designed to build projects "one-track-at-a-time"_ Montage is designed to document your Montage performance... Which it bundles into a .mid File... Montage does the heavy lifting!

If you wish to record using the "one-track-at-a-time" method as in MOXF/Motif XF et al, you can do so by limiting yourself to Single Part Performances (one instrument sound per slot, 1-16, like on the MOXF/Motif XF) across the 16 Tracks.

While Montage will ship with Cubase AI8, we anticipate this customer may already be a Cubase Pro 8.5 user... Or an equivalent top of the line DAW. And is already comfortable editing MIDI in the computer environment.

If you've never discovered direct Performance Record on your previous Yamaha synth, check it out... You'll see what a help it is in jump starting your musical recording!

Posted : 24/01/2016 11:33 am
 Jan

You could have decided to improve the sequencer in the Motif series.
Unlike a proper sequencer, the performance recorder does not allow editing.
To say that we have DAWs to do that is like saying 'well, our flagship workstation does not have any pianos onboard, but you got a whole range of dedicated stage pianos for that job'.

Some people like to be able to work out basic songs in standalone mode.
And I REALLY need to be able to edit MIDI data for that purpose.
It IS possible to create a sequencer in a workstation which is very easy and a breeze to use, just check out Roland's FA series.
And aside from the lack of a proper sequencer there's also the matter of the lack of a sampler.
Yamaha keeps trimming its concept of a workstation without realizing that the concept they present no longer qualifies as a workstation.
The Montage is more a performance synth+ than a workstation.

I don't want to come across as negative because the Montage has a great sound, ditto new features, and it offers a smooth integration with the DAW, but I really like and need a workstation for my purposes.
The current sequencer in the Montage is like a more expanded version of what you will find on stage pianos where you can quickly capture an idea and record it.
That's OK for a stage piano because it is not designed to be a workstation, but in the case of the Montage which is promoted as the follow up to the Motif it becomes an issue.
I think you overlooked the fact that there ARE musicians who still use the onboard sequencer of a workstation.
I use Cubase as my DAW, but I also need an internal sequencer in a workstation, and yes, I DO use that internal sequencer (as long as it is not a pain to use).
It is great to be able to work in standalone mode without the need for a computer, and especially now that workstations can be equipped with larger screens, the presence of these screens could greatly facilitate the editing.

Posted : 24/01/2016 12:47 pm
Bad Mister

Musicians who still use the onboard Sequencer's as you describe can still use their current product. As you know the majority of keyboard players keep and use their Yamaha synths for more than ten years! (This indeed may not be for you). That's for you to determine - we will still continue to offer you help with your current synth (if it is indeed a Yamaha). If you use your current internal sequencer and find that workflow compelling, the current Motif will probably continue to work for you for another decade. We have many user with Motif classics (2001) still happily working away with their instruments, 15 years later!

Love to have you join us in the new era - but truly it will not be for everyone. We are going with what our research says is the right mix of features. No product could truly answer everyone's needs and desires. We are betting this one will meet the needs of a lot of users... A lot of users.

BTW, "workstation" is not a word we applied even to the Motif-series. It is just a description (not as derogatory as ROMpler, but just as generic), it simply allows people to talk 'generally' about synthesizer's with multiple use case functions that come from different manufacturers. Yamaha did not call the Motif XF a "workstation" - it was a "Music Production Synthesizer" (says so right on the front panel). The Montage is a "Music Synthesizer"... And much more than the previous models.

It is not a replacement for the Motif XF, it is a new era, a new direction, we will not be defined by existing categories. Montage is Montage.

True, it replaces Motif XF as the top-of-the-line Synthesizer in the Yamaha product lineup. It builds on the Motif-series (Music Production Synthesizer's) but it also builds on the world renowned Yamaha DX-FM (the first digital Synthesizer). By the way, the DX was not a "workstation" either.

We recognize a new era will mean new workflows, and that will scare lots of users. But speaking personally, I have one advantage over you in this instance... I've played Montage, I've felt its compelling feel and responsiveness. Until you do, reading specs or even reading my impressions or others impressions of Montage is of limited value to you. Until you touch it, feel it, experience it, you really cannot leave your old shoes (workflow)... Until you get your hands and ears on one its all just so much 'talk'.

These 'new shoes' don't have the traditional laces you are up used to... This is a modern slip-on, and you're wondering how or even if your feet will fit in this new concept, this is something you cannot do from reading alone. Relax, you've got time. And in the meantime your 'old shoes' are not obsolete. We built each of the previous synths to last a long long time (longer than your computer, longer than you phone) - and I can say that with confidence - given the number of Motif classic, ES, XS, XF, add the MO, MOX, MOXF, S-series users still getting happy enjoyment from their instruments!

You mention editing in the on board sequencer - that statement right there shows me (at least) that the full concept of what's new, different and extremely exciting/compelling about the Montage has not struck you yet. Words alone probably will not convince you - but "editing" in the onboard sequencer - makes me smile- I'll just say wait until you get your hands on the "Super Knob" as a concept... Then we'll come back to this *editing* thing 🙂

Posted : 24/01/2016 1:21 pm
 Axel

The Motion Control Synthesis Engine unifies and controls two iconic Sound Engines: AWM2 and FM-X. These two engines can be freely zoned and layered across eight parts in a single Montage performance. Interact with Montage Performances using Motion Control: a highly programmable control matrix for creating deep, dynamic and incredibly expressive sound. With Motion Control, you can create new sounds NOT possible on previous hardware synthesizers.

Motion Control: Tone Generator:

Super Knob AWM2

Motion Seq X

Envelope Follower FM-X

The Super Knob:

Create dynamic sound changes from radical to sublime with the Super Knob. The Super Knob can control multiple parameters simultaneously resulting in anything you can imagine. For example: change your listening position from right in front of an instrument to in the back seat of a concert hall, or radically change the character of a Performance from atmospheric and mellow to rhythmic and edgy. The super knob can even assigned to a second FC7 foot controller , making it easy to manipulate the sound when playing with both hands.

The Motion Seq:
Motion sequences are tempo-synchronized, completely customizable control sequences that can be assigned to virtually any synthesizer parameter and provide incredible creative new ways of programming sound. Motion sequences also have dedicated controls on the front panel making it easy to manipulate and change in real-time, providing incredible interactivity and expression.

The Envelope Follower:
Converts audio into a control source for control of virtually any synthesizer parameter. For example, a drum loop could drive effects parameters for a cool rhythms or a vocal recording could control multiple parameters for a "talking" synthesizer. The audio can even be a "live" source through the A/D input.

Pure Analog Circuit:
Montage features professional balanced outputs with "Pure Analog Circuit" (PAC), PAC improves the quality of signal after being converted to analog from digital for clear harmonic reproduction and even frequency response. The result is an output capable of reproducing Montage's internal content expressively with power and clarity.

Effects:
From high definition reverbs to incredible detailed Virtual Modeling (VCM) effects, Montage is loaded with DSP innovation, power and, most importantly, sound quality. Use effects like Beat Repeat, Vinyl Break, or Bit Crusher to get a modern EDM sound. You can add a compressor with "sidechain" for a modern "ducking effect. Or go retro with vintage effects like Analog Delay, VCM Phaser, or a variety of Amp Simulators. Piano players will appreciate piano-focused effects like Damper Resonance for a super-realistic piano experience and the HD reverbs taht let you put yourself in any performance space.

Content:
Montage features a huge range of incredible sounds like a brand - new Yamaha CFX Premium Grand Piano, detailed new strings and woodwinds and select content from the DX and TX family, all modernized to take advantage of the Motion Control Synthesis Engine.
Montage is directly compatible with all the Motif XF voices.
Yamaha is developing an FM converter to make it compatible with DX7 series as well.

Integrated Flash Memory:
Montage includes 1.75 GB of user flash memory with high speed reading/writing for your own custom samples or synth libraries from yamahasynth.com

USB Audio/Midi Connection:
Connect Montage to your Computer with a single USB cable and capture every nuance of your creativity into your DAW, Montage's powerful USB driver can send 16 and receive 3 channels of stereo 24-bit/44.1kHz digital audio to/from your computer or iOS device (Montage is class compliant, no driver needed), no other hardware required!. The USB connection also features full MIDI support of 16 channels. Montage supports the sampling rate up to 192kHz.

Seamless Sound Switching (SSS) lets you change performances, seamlessly without any cut-off in envelope or effects. This is perfect for live performances where you and one song and start another without stopping.
This function is only available for Performances that have a maximum of 8 parts.

The A/D input processes external audio sources with your instrument's DSP. Use mics, guitars or any line source as an input and process with the internal effects. You can even use these sources with the Envelope Follower or Sidechain for a truly unique sound.

Montage features a comprehensive set of physical controls for intuitive music making and sound creation.
The touch Screen: Select and change parameters directly with the new color touch screen.

Eight Rotary Encoders and Faders with Stepladder LED.

Live set lets you organize your performances however you want without copying, changing order or renaming. When a performance is selected, you can easily register it to a Live set. This is perfect for playing gigs or even creating your own organization scheme for performances.

The direct control assignment assigns controls at the touch of a button. Simply select a parameter. ,hit the Direct Control Assignment button and move the controller to control that parameter, It's easy!.

Effect System: Reverb x 12 types, Variation x 76 types + Insertion (A,B) x 76 Types, Master Effect x 15 Types
2 A/D part insertion x 71 Types Master EQ (5 bands), 2nd part EQ (2 bands)

Live sets: Preset 128 and more User: 2,048

Tone Generator: Motion Control Synthesis Engine AMW2: 8 Elements FM-X: 8 Operators, 88 Algorithms per voice.
Polyphony of AWM2: 128 (Max: Stereo/mono waveforms)
of FM-X : 128 (Max

Total Polyphony : 256 (stereo voices)

Posted : 24/01/2016 4:44 pm
 Jan

Thanks for your reply, Bad Mister, and explaining the vision behind the Montage.
I think many people (including myself) read that the Montage was the successor of the Motif, and automatically assumed that it would be the next workstation (or Music Production Synthesizer as Yamaha calls it).
And from that perspective the sequencer falls short of what it should be in a workstation.
Yamaha calls the Montage a music synthesizer, and it should be judged for what it is and can do, not for what it is not designed to be or do.

It's true I have not had the pleasure of trying out the Montage myself, but even though I do not have a hands-on experience, what I have seen and heard so far already has convinced me it is a really great sounding synth with immense possibilities, I understand your enthusiasm.
I listened to examples of what a motion sequencer can do in terms of the expressiveness of a sound and make it come alive, and being able to morph various parameters at once by means of just one knob opens up a lot of possibilities.

Anyway, thanks again for your reply.
I will be checking out the Montage once it's out.
And by the way, I loved that Jazz guitar patch Nate showed in the SonicState video near the end, I could not believe it was FM.
I hope you will do more videos and show us what's onboard of the Montage.

Posted : 25/01/2016 11:15 am
Bad Mister

And by the way, I loved that Jazz guitar patch Nate showed in the SonicState video near the end, I could not believe it was FM.
I hope you will do more videos and show us what's onboard of the Montage.

For those who have never played a Yamaha FM synth and even those who may have, but have forgotten how "playable" and expressive it can be, the return of DX-style FM in this format is going to be fun.

We will be posting videos, and getting out and about the country spreading the word. Between now and May, we will have time to create helpful guides and tutorials.

Posted : 26/01/2016 4:14 am
Lawrence
Trusted Member

Bad Mister wrote:

New workflow... To be sure. Create your Performance, press RECORD... play your music. Montage will create a .mid file > drag n drop this into your favorite DAW continue your work. Or > play it back from the internal Seq outputting via USB > record it as audio to your favorite DAW. Montage features a mind numbing 32 audio outputs via USB. (Stereo plus 30 assignable outputs!)

I'm hoping that there will be video demonstrating this, preferably with Cubase 8.5.

Posted : 26/01/2016 4:24 pm

Will the Montage reference manual include information on the workflow when using a DAW?
When will the reference manual be available for download?

Posted : 26/01/2016 5:54 pm
Bad Mister

@Brian

Will the Montage reference manual include information on the workflow when using a DAW?
When will the reference manual be available for download?

Sorry, I have no information on exactly when, but a REFERENCE MANUAL typically is a detailed description of each parameter and feature. WORKFLOW is something that you develop based on what you want to accomplish. I'm sure it will have a basic "How to Connect to a Computer" section... We'll have to wait until its finished to see what is provided. "When" this will be is a matter of when they finish. The time between showing at the Trade show and the release date is used to finalize things in the product. The later the Reference Manual is done, actually, the better. You will not really benefit from it without having the product at this stage - it will be far more useful if they are any last minute updates/changes. So anticipate it arriving nearer to the projected release date.

@Lawrence

I'm hoping that there will be video demonstrating this, preferably with Cubase 8.5.

So do I, we were talking about this very thing _ I too think that the Montage level customer, it is likely the Cubase Pro user, so anticipate that the videos will be using Cubase 8.5. Thanks for request.

Posted : 26/01/2016 6:09 pm

Thanks for your response Bad Mister.

I look forward to reading the reference manual when it is released and understand why it would be delayed until nearer the product release date.

Posted : 26/01/2016 10:40 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us