Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

SEQUENCER

58 Posts
28 Users
0 Likes
13.6 K Views

I just purchased a montage because it was stated that, "if you owned a motif you will love the Montage"

a shameless confidence trick.

I found out once I bought the Montage that it does not have an on board sequencer and does not have pattern mode. I have never used a DAW and now I am majorly disappointed

i´m with you, ryan. the recorder is a bad joke. montage is screwed up. yamaha´s engineers should be ashamed of themselves imo.

Posted : 29/04/2016 7:53 pm
Kiwi
 Kiwi

Ryan wrote:

Hey, Jan money is not an issue and I also got a Montage 8 for $3100. So kinda hard to pass up if it is so great. And I assumed just like others that this would have similar features. Thanks for your sarcasm and pointless response.

I'm curious. Where were you able to buy a Montage 8 for $3100?

Posted : 30/04/2016 5:57 pm
Kiwi
 Kiwi

Markus wrote:

I just purchased a montage because it was stated that, "if you owned a motif you will love the Montage"

a shameless confidence trick.

I found out once I bought the Montage that it does not have an on board sequencer and does not have pattern mode. I have never used a DAW and now I am majorly disappointed

i´m with you, ryan. the recorder is a bad joke. montage is screwed up. yamaha´s engineers should be ashamed of themselves imo.

Always enjoy an expert chastising people skilled in matters that the expert will never comprehend.

Posted : 30/04/2016 6:01 pm
 Ryan
Eminent Member

I have been doing a good amount of research in terms of what the most powerful synth workstations are. I had a few questions. I should know this from my research but it would be appreciated if someone could give me clarification on the difference between a synth workstation, a professional arranger, a music workstation, a production station, and a polyphonic analogue synth ? These are all labels given to the Yamaha Montage, Yamaha Motif series, Kurzweil Cp3k, Nord stage 2, Roland FA, korg kronos, korg Pa4x, and DSI OB-6. After researching I think the Montage and the Nord Stage 2 are very close in comparison, is this correct? And since the onboard sequencer is very important to me, I categorized the Motif, CP3k, FA, Kronos, Pa4x, and OB-6 as suitable to fit the bill for a workstation that can work alone or with a DAW, is this accurate? It really sucks in my mind that the Montage and the Stage 2 seem to be for more live playing and if one wants to do a loop based (pattern-type) recording and linear (Song-type) recording with either unit, they will have no choice but to use a DAW. If I go the route of keeping the Montage or switching to a Stage 2, what in your opinion is the winner between the two? I know this is a Yamaha based message board, but I was hoping to get some honest feedback in terms of the two. Also, can anyone help me with which might be, possibly from experience and/or knowledge, the optimal workstation with an onboard sequencer between the Motif xf, cp3k, kronos, Pa4x, FA and OB-6? Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Posted : 30/04/2016 7:49 pm
 Ryan
Eminent Member

Kiwi wrote:

Ryan wrote:

Posted : 30/04/2016 7:59 pm
 Ryan
Eminent Member

🙂

Posted : 01/05/2016 1:16 am
 Ryan
Eminent Member

Kiwi wrote:

Ryan wrote:

Hey, Jan money is not an issue and I also got a Montage 8 for $3100. So kinda hard to pass up if it is so great. And I assumed just like others that this would have similar features. Thanks for your sarcasm and pointless response.

Sorry Kiwi. I was just screwing around with Jan, since she was a jerk. I paid retail $3999 for the Montage 8.

Posted : 01/05/2016 1:19 am

Ryan wrote:

I just purchased a montage because it was stated that, "if you owned a motif you will love the Montage" and thus thought it would be similar. But I found out once I bought the Montage that it does not have an on board sequencer and does not have pattern mode. I have never used a DAW and now I am majorly disappointed, because it seems I am starting from rock bottom.

Hi Ryan, I agree with you.
What Yamaha has done, is 100% misleading advertisement. It doesn't mean Montage is a bad instrument. It only mean the company is using shady methods to promote their new product.

Posted : 01/05/2016 3:52 am
 A
Estimable Member

Ryan wrote:

I just purchased a montage because it was stated that, "if you owned a motif you will love the Montage" and thus thought it would be similar. But I found out once I bought the Montage that it does not have an on board sequencer and does not have pattern mode. I have never used a DAW and now I am majorly disappointed, because it seems I am starting from rock bottom. I have been getting to the point that I would like to entertain being a professional song writer and maybe even have my own group. But now that I realize I have to learn how to completely learn a new way to record patterns and loops and sequences and basically spend a ton more time learning all the ins and outs of a DAW than actually learning and playing on the Montage, I am taken aback and thinking I am so much further behind. Am I just supposed to keep playing my ES? Are there any synths that are extremely powerful that have the pattern/sequencing modes? Is there a DAW that can emulate a song and pattern track recording? How much time is going to take to learn a DAW to where it is not holding me back? I really dont want to cancel my order for the Montage 8, before I even get a chance to play it. But the fact that it isnt really like a Motif is very disheartening. Somebody please steer me in the right direction?

I don't have the MONTAGE to say how good or bad it is but I can tell you few things for sure. Learning how to work with DAW sequencer is as easy as MS Paint and the amount of speed and comfort you'll get after using a DAW sequencer is enormous. You just need to get out of your comfort zone. In a week you'll master the key concepts and by the end of the 2nd week you can enjoy your own compositions.

Posted : 01/05/2016 4:00 am
Kiwi
 Kiwi

Kirill wrote:

Ryan wrote:

I just purchased a montage because it was stated that, "if you owned a motif you will love the Montage" and thus thought it would be similar. But I found out once I bought the Montage that it does not have an on board sequencer and does not have pattern mode. I have never used a DAW and now I am majorly disappointed, because it seems I am starting from rock bottom.

Hi Ryan, I agree with you.
What Yamaha has done, is 100% misleading advertisement. It doesn't mean Montage is a bad instrument. It only mean the company is using shady methods to promote their new product.

I wasn't mislead. I've also done a lot of research since NAMM in January.

Posted : 01/05/2016 4:22 am

Bad Mister wrote:
The 32 Audio Bus Outputs of the Montage open up a new level of recording capability we think will be as compelling and useful for keyboard musicians interested in creating their own music as the original Motif was back in 2001 with its PATTERN > PATTERN CHAIN > SONG workflow. The workflow now is a bit different it is SELECT/DESIGN a program > record (as MIDI first if you wish) > EDIT/CORRECT your data on the computer > Render as AUDIO ... rinse and repeat.

you can keep your MIDI recordings in a folder (for a level of "undo") in case you change your mind about a particular Part's performance. You can always redo it.
When you have finished your composition in the DAW you can export it as a .MID file or mixdown the data as a stereo 44.1kHz 24-bit .wav and install your data to the Montage's FLASH memory, or simply stream it from a USB drive connected to the Montage's TO DEVICE port.

With all these repeating complaints about the missing onbaord sequencer, maybe it's time for a long time user of PC based MIDI-sequencers, evolving into DAWs, to speak up. In fact I never had the inclination to switch to any onboard sequencer for editing, why should I? Typically I find those sequeners too limiting regarding display, user interface and editing functions. If you add new gear to your studio, then possibly welcome to your new onboard sequencer you may struggle to master. With powerful DAWs available I always felt that sequencing should not be done at a hardware workstation. All those advance editing capabilities of a DAW that BM mentioned, makes it the better choice, I couldn't agree more with him.

The workflow BM has described above existed and is being used for many years. As a longtime SONAR user I enjoy the Freeze feature, which makes this workflow even more convenient (Freeze creates an audio mixdown track and hides it's associated MIDI track; of course you may Unfreeze it at any time). With the new 32 audio bus outputs of the Montage this will be even more fun. The ability to route even single drum instruments to individual audio tracks is good news.

As a long time follower of several forums I'm aware of Yamaha bashing to be heard for many years on the net. The Motif was criticized for repackaging the same sound concept over an over, an innovation regarding the sound engine was sadly missed. I think, the Montage does deliver just that. Strangely enough, the Montage is now criticized for removing the onboard sequencer, a concept that is IMHO dispensable since years. Of course, your mileage may vary, BUT... if you never used a DAW, give it a try, you may be surprised.

Posted : 01/05/2016 9:29 am
Kiwi
 Kiwi

Ryan wrote:

Kiwi wrote:

Ryan wrote:

Sorry Kiwi. I was just screwing around with Jan, since she was a jerk. I paid retail $3999 for the Montage 8.

Ryan, shoot me your email address when you get a chance.

Posted : 01/05/2016 1:14 pm
 Ryan
Eminent Member

Michael wrote:

Bad Mister wrote:
The 32 Audio Bus Outputs of the Montage open up a new level of recording capability we think will be as compelling and useful for keyboard musicians interested in creating their own music as the original Motif was back in 2001 with its PATTERN > PATTERN CHAIN > SONG workflow. The workflow now is a bit different it is SELECT/DESIGN a program > record (as MIDI first if you wish) > EDIT/CORRECT your data on the computer > Render as AUDIO ... rinse and repeat.

you can keep your MIDI recordings in a folder (for a level of "undo") in case you change your mind about a particular Part's performance. You can always redo it.
When you have finished your composition in the DAW you can export it as a .MID file or mixdown the data as a stereo 44.1kHz 24-bit .wav and install your data to the Montage's FLASH memory, or simply stream it from a USB drive connected to the Montage's TO DEVICE port.

With all these repeating complaints about the missing onbaord sequencer, maybe it's time for a long time user of PC based MIDI-sequencers, evolving into DAWs, to speak up. In fact I never had the inclination to switch to any onboard sequencer for editing, why should I? Typically I find those sequeners too limiting regarding display, user interface and editing functions. If you add new gear to your studio, then possibly welcome to your new onboard sequencer you may struggle to master. With powerful DAWs available I always felt that sequencing should not be done at a hardware workstation. All those advance editing capabilities of a DAW that BM mentioned, makes it the better choice, I couldn't agree more with him.

The workflow BM has described above existed and is being used for many years. As a longtime SONAR user I enjoy the Freeze feature, which makes this workflow even more convenient (Freeze creates an audio mixdown track and hides it's associated MIDI track; of course you may Unfreeze it at any time). With the new 32 audio bus outputs of the Montage this will be even more fun. The ability to route even single drum instruments to individual audio tracks is good news.

As a long time follower of several forums I'm aware of Yamaha bashing to be heard for many years on the net. The Motif was criticized for repackaging the same sound concept over an over, an innovation regarding the sound engine was sadly missed. I think, the Montage does deliver just that. Strangely enough, the Montage is now criticized for removing the onboard sequencer, a concept that is IMHO dispensable since years. Of course, your mileage may vary, BUT... if you never used a DAW, give it a try, you may be surprised.

Michael that was a good response. I think just giving it a try to is the best idea to. I think people might just be afraid to learn a new product, being a DAW, if they already have their system in place. It will just take longer in the beginning to maybe record multi layered/ patterned beats, because of entering a new territory. But I want to be a professional and im sure a DAW is going to be necessity, correct? I just wanted to ask if you knew, or possibly anyone else, anything about the Nord Stage 2 and how that compares to the Montage? After some research I thought they might kinda be the most similar products of this caliber, which are oriented for a DAW in order to innovate/create and save. As well as be good for live playing I guess. Are there any thoughts? Thank you.

Posted : 01/05/2016 6:50 pm
 Ryan
Eminent Member

Kiwi wrote:

Posted : 01/05/2016 11:03 pm
 Ryan
Eminent Member

Kiwi wrote:

Ryan wrote:

Kiwi wrote:

I assumed just like others that this would have similar features. Thanks for your sarcasm and pointless response.

Ryan, shoot me your email address when you get a chance.

Posted : 01/05/2016 11:05 pm
Page 3 / 4
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us