Clear all

SSS doesn't work anymore on some performances since OS 2.5

41 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi,

I have some performances that I use with an external soundmodule. For those I have every first part muted and set the Zone settings for program changes, note limit,... etc.
Now I updated the Montage to OS 2.5 and for those particular performances, the SSS don't work anymore. In both ways. Going TO those performances, or selecting the next starting FROM those performances. Got 3 important shows this weekend so any help is very much appreciated!

Tnx!

Stef

Posted : 14/09/2018 10:32 am
 Sean
Eminent Member

Check if you are using parts 9 to 16 in these performances. And I believe this applies to both the performance you are moving to as well as from

Posted : 14/09/2018 12:10 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

This is correct. When switching Performances, both the first and second Performance (first/second in terms of temporal sequence) must not have any PART in slots 9-16 assigned. They must all have the [+] shown. There is also an icon which will show in the upper-right. The Multi/GM initialize Performance preset uses all PARTs (including 9-16) and has this icon.

It's the one with "9 . . . . . . . 16" and dots under (shown here just above the "AWM2" emblem).

If you are using only PARTs 1-8, you will not see this.

Even easier - the "SSS" emblem should automatically be removed if PARTs 9-16 are used.

Posted : 14/09/2018 4:10 pm
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi guys, tnx for your reply. I should have mentioned that I already checked that and it is not the case. Some performances even have only one part! And the SSS emblem is active.
I don't get it. Bug perhaps?

Tnx

Posted : 16/09/2018 12:52 pm
Bad Mister

Are these your Performances only?
Does it happen on Factory Performances?
If not, then it’s probably you, and not a bug.
If yes, please tell us which factory Performances...

Posted : 16/09/2018 3:54 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The other possibility is that what is observed is motion sequence or ARP related. Neither of these carry through a Performance switch and are not considered part of what SSS entails.

Letting us know the Performances used or perhaps a couple X7B files if user Performances (without custom samples) would help.

Posted : 16/09/2018 8:53 pm
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi guys,

If it is me and not a bug, why does it only happen now with update 2.5? Before that, it worked fine. The SSS emblem is also lit, so shouldn't it be not lit if it will not work?

So, I found what seems to be the problem. Those performances I speak about all have their first part muted and zone switch activated. If I unmute that part, the SSS works just fine.

It's pretty easy to simulate. Mute part one and turn on it's "Zone" button, then save it. Any performance jumping TO that, or being selected starting FROM that performance will be cut off. (Not the reverb and other effects, only the note hold.)

Sorry guys, but sounds like a bug to me.

Thanks for your replies,

Stef

Posted : 17/09/2018 7:47 am
Bad Mister

It's pretty easy to simulate. Mute part one and turn on it's "Zone" button, then save it. Any performance jumping TO that, or being selected starting FROM that performance will be cut off. (Not the reverb and other effects, only the note hold.)

I think you have misunderstood which keyboard has the Seamless Sound Switching. It’s the MONTAGE. SSS does not necessarily translate to your externally connected device. SSS assumes you are switching between internal Parts within the scope of the spec.

It doesn’t matter that you stored Part 1 MUTED; any other MONTAGE Parts, 2-8, that are active will ‘seamlessly sound switch’ to the next MONTAGE Performance that is setup for SSS. Try it, you’ll see.

Turn the volume down on your external device (to eliminate hearing it in this experiment)
Call up your MONTAGE Performance, the one with the Part 1 Muted.
Hold a chord.
Advance to the next SSS Performance... the sustaining Parts are NOT interrupted.

Now hold a chord on this new Performance, switch back to your original Part 1 Muted Performance... the SSS is in tact. (Let us know).

I think you’ll find it was only your external MIDI’d device that was hiccuping, not the MONTAGE.
Your external device does not have SSS

(Owner’s Manuals are dense enough... I can’t imagine if they included all of the “don’ts” in there as well... as in
“Don’t expect SSS to extend Out via the MIDI jacks to include your external synth, it will not give it any capabilities that it does not already possess... it will do whatever it does when receiving a Bank Select and Program Change while a note-on exists.”

Posted : 17/09/2018 3:22 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Not saying it was just you - just waiting to get enough meat on the bone to reproduce exactly what your setup is. X7B's are best because it's a "plug and play". But your latest description seems good enough to start playing with.

I'm not sure that use of Zones necessarily translates into using external keyboards - but its worth asking what I should connect externally to Montage to reproduce your setup? Are there any external devices - or is zone control being used to try to set limits on Montage itself?

What, if anything, is the expectation (if used) of what the external keyboards should do?

Also, zone settings do not have to transmit program/bank change - so there isn't necessarily a reason for a Performance change to affect the sound (patch) of external gear.

I think before getting to the why's and what's of v2.5 - it'd be nice, at least for me, to get the full picture here so I can be sure to duplicate your setup. I'm using v2.0 - so presumably I would not reproduce your same results if there is some difference with the latest firmware.

Posted : 18/09/2018 4:59 am
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi,

@BM, no, it's the montage. Sorry, I know that's not the answer you were hoping for.

@ Jason, the external module is a Virus TI2. In the performance that is attached i layer it from D3 to G8.

Tnx!!!

Attached files

Name of love +Vir.X7B.zip (5.2 KB) 

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:26 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Not plugging in your X7B yet - thanks for sending. Prior to seeing this, I had just done some testing. Here are the results.

Setup using F/W v2.0:

1) Started with Init Normal (AWM2)
2) [STORE]'d Performance as "TestNotMuted" name
3) Muted PART1 (the only PART of the Init Normal (AWM2) preset - and - turned ON the PART1 Zone switch (MIDI transmit channel set to off)
4) [STORE]'d Performance as "TestMuted" name

Now these two performances were right next to each other so I could press [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) and move between the two adjacent user Performances.

Testing:

1) Started with "TestNotMuted" Performance
2) Moved to [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) screen
3) Played and held a chord
4) Turned the Data Dial to move to the next Performance ("TestMuted" )

Result: Muted Performance with Zone ON was loaded after switch - chord continued to sound. Conclusion: SSS works.

5) Modified "TestMuted" PART to change the Zone setting to transmit on MIDI Channel 1. [STORE]'d the modified Performance and overwrote the original
6) Retested steps 1-4 of "Testing"

Result: Muted Performance with Zone ON and MIDI Transmit Ch 1 was loaded after switch - chord continued to sound. Conclusion: SSS works.

7) Modified "TestMuted" PART to change the Zone setting to transmit on MIDI Channel 9. [STORE]'d the modified Performance and overwrote the original
8) Retested steps 1-4 of "Testing"

Result: Muted Performance with Zone ON and MIDI Transmit Ch 1 was loaded after switch - chord continued to sound. Conclusion: SSS works.

This is all what was expected with v2.0.

The report is that with v2.5, the behavior would be different.

Posted : 18/09/2018 9:20 pm
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi Jason, thnx for the testing, but as I metioned, the SSS was working fine in OS v2. The problems only started when I updated to OS v 2.5.

The problems or both on my montage at home as on the one in the backline of my band.

Tnx,

Stef

Posted : 19/09/2018 11:32 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I recognize that. You need confirmation on both ends. My goal was to present the pre-2.5 results for someone else to confirm the new behavior.

Posted : 19/09/2018 3:53 pm
 Sean
Eminent Member

Jason
I will try your scenario later with 2.5 and report back

Posted : 19/09/2018 4:02 pm
 Sean
Eminent Member

I tried Jason's scenario on OS V 2.5 and it behaves exactly the same as Jason described. i.e. the SSS works. I downloaded Stef's performance too, and could not find a problem with that either. I am looking at SSS on the Montage itself i.e. not on any external device. As Bad Mister already pointed out, you can't expect SSS to work with your external gear

So can you run these same tests *without* your external gear, as Bad Mister suggested.

Posted : 19/09/2018 7:15 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us