Notifications
Clear all

Steinberg Yamaha USB driver issue

18 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

There an issue with the Steinberg USB issue . I inadvertently turned of my Montage while MPC 2.0 apps was open lost connection with Bluetooth (Mouse Keyboard), connect to my external Hard Drive. I had to hold the computer start button to close down. This is also the case in the past with logic. pro x. This is not good and I do not know what damage this could possibly do.

Attached files

Posted : 07/05/2017 10:25 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Photo won't upload got it now

Posted : 07/05/2017 10:27 pm
Christine

I've had similar problems with the Steinberg driver and ended up uninstalling it. It's only needed for Montage Connect (audio & MIDI on the Montage are class-compliant - HOORAY!) which I hardly ever use.

Posted : 08/05/2017 7:21 am
Bad Mister

There an issue with the Steinberg USB issue . I inadvertently turned of my Montage while MPC 2.0 apps was open lost connection with Bluetooth (Mouse Keyboard), connect to my external Hard Drive. I had to hold the computer start button to close down. This is also the case in the past with logic. pro x. This is not good and I do not know what damage this could possibly do.

I'm trying to make sense of what you wrote and how it involves the Montage, exactly. Very unclear... if you used a Translate program, please try it again... if not please forgive me, but we need more details:

I assume we are talking about the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver (the one used for a computer and the Montage).
We will need the type of computer (Mac, I presume), the operating system, and the version number of the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver... (very important information for troubleshooting)

I do not know what "MPC 2.0 apps" are, or what is going on with "Bluetooth (Mouse Keyboard)" or what the "external Hard Drive" has to do with the Montage... I get you are having problems with ejecting external drives... but what do they have to do with what you are attempting to do.

What happens when you properly eject your drives before closing down your apps?

Let us know.

Posted : 08/05/2017 12:29 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Reported to Yamaha but I will try to be more clearer. iMac Retina 5k 27" macOS Sierra version 10.12.4, Processor 3.3 GHz i5 Memory 24 Gb
The mention of the applications it could be MPC 2.0/Logic Pro X/Cubase 9 the problems is the apps InitializeYamaha Steinberg USB drivers MIDI drivers 1.9.10.

When I turn on and off the Montage without starting the any of the apps while the Montage is connected to computer via USB ,I do not get prompted with improperly ejecting Hard drives, My mouse and Keyboard are Bluetooth they do not disconnect or have no function/Freezes.

The problem only happens when I run the above applications mention and I turn off the Montage before closing the applications be it MPC 2.0/Logic pro x/ Cubase 9 Artist that I get Disk not ejected properly My Bluetooth mouse and keyboard freezes or disconnect. You have to hold the power button to shut down computer.

So it only happens when Applications are open that initializesYamaha Steinberg USB Audio/MIDI drivers 1.9.10

There are also time when I have to go to Audio MIDI setup/MIDI Studio to rescan to initiate/reconnect MIDI driver to Application because of non activity when using above application when I want to use MIDI instead of Audio.

This has been mention on this forum. I did not have this issue before I updated the drivers.

Posted : 08/05/2017 10:14 pm
Bad Mister

Reported to Yamaha

Good - then there is a case open on this issue (?); then let us know when you hear back. Sorry, it is outside anything I can help you with, just not enough info about what (specifically) is happening, sorry. Thanks for letting us know though.

Posted : 09/05/2017 5:54 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Do not know what more info I can provide. I'm sure it the Steinberg USB drivers, if I should come up with more information on the situation and a report from the Yamaha support ticket submitted I'll be sure to post in thread.

Thanks

Posted : 09/05/2017 10:46 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks Christine.
I uninstalled the Steinberg drivers rebooted, then started Logic pro, setup the Montage audio in logic preference seems to work fine. I then turned off Montage while logic Application is still open guess what did not get Disk not ejected properly, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse did not freeze or disconnect no issues did not have to hold the power button to shut down.

So it is a clear fact beyond doubt that it is the Steinberg USB v1.9.10 drivers causing the problem.

Posted : 09/05/2017 9:00 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I've noticed that lots of these driver issues turn out to be combination problems. Not that the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver is the problem or the other conflicting driver is the problem. But when the two combine, there's a problem - which makes it difficult to point fingers.

If we can, for the point of this illustration, say that only sugar causes tooth decay: ... Then ("once upon a time") there's a young man with a head full of teeth that eats sweets constantly and has many cavities. There's a woman with a head full of teeth who eschews sweets - not one cavity. Then there's the toothless old man who doesn't brush their teeth and eats nothing but sweets - no cavities.

So teeth cause cavities? Well ... that's not the general notion.

Hard to tell if the Yamaha Steinberg USB would be the teeth or the sugar in this story.

I'm thinking of another thread where the user found some piano lesson software they had installed was conflicting - and removing this stopped the strange driver behavior (interaction).

I think what you have found is the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver is part of the problem - not sure you've found the other "half".

... keep digging until you've extracted that cavity.

Posted : 10/05/2017 7:56 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

If it is a combination as of Now I removed the Steinberg USB drivers and no longer have the issue or problems, so impart it is Steinberg usb drivers causing the problems. The issue has been reported it out of my hands, driver removed so it would be a task to find and prove if it is a conflict with another driver.

Christine brought to my attention that the Montage is Audio MIDI class-compliant so the question now would be what is the advantage and disadvantages of having the Yamaha steinberg drivers vs Audio MIDI class compliant.

Within the DAW One can use/utilize all the Audio 1-32 USB1&2 to USB29-30 Stereo/Mono,I see Montage port 1-3.

The only one other advantage I see that the Audio/MIDI class-compliant driver allows one to connect to IOS devices, not clear on the advantage of the Yamaha Steinberg drivers over class-compliant.

Posted : 14/05/2017 12:45 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Maybe being able to set the buffer size if that is not available using class-compliant drivers.

Maybe integration with Montage connect (imagine it has some hooks in the drivers to make this work - maybe not).

Since machines are snowflakes - root cause is best done on the failing system. The duct-tape-fix approach does work OK if you're not concerned about finding root-cause. It's valid to just stop at a place that's working.

Posted : 15/05/2017 9:55 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

You need the Yamaha-Steinberg USB drivers to connect/ to or use for Montage connect. This is one of the advantage Steinberg drivers has over Class-Compliant.

Posted : 30/05/2017 12:16 pm
Bad Mister

You need the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver to connect Montage to a computer.

Class compliance helps you connect to an iPhone or iPad, only.

Typically, computers still have advantages over smartphones and tablets when doing serious music production.

Posted : 30/05/2017 6:20 pm
Clive

Bad Mister wrote:

You need the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver to connect Montage to a computer.

That may be the case with Windows or with other DAW's, I can't comment, but every part of the Montage's functionality is available thru a Mac running Logic Pro X without the Yamaha-Steinberg USB Driver, except for using Montage Connect.

All Audio and Midi channels are available, and all of the Montages internal routing configurations that I've tried have worked.

I have un-installed the driver as my workflow at this time does not require the Montage connect plug-in. This may change in the future, for instance, if Yamaha could make the Montage's screen available as an interactive plug-in in a DAW, or a totally separate interactive app, then I would reinstall the driver in a heartbeat.

Just wishful thinking.

Posted : 31/05/2017 4:31 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

... as mentioned, I'm not sure you can adjust the audio buffer size unless using the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver. This may not matter to you if the audio response is acceptable without adjustments.

Posted : 31/05/2017 4:06 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us