Notifications
Clear all

Motif editor vst

16 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I'm using the editor VST with Cubase. Previously I used it as a standalone with the motif.
I noticed that when using it with QBase (sorry for the spelling - Voice recognition) that I can't control things with the motif, like adjusting the faders for the tracks, for example. In fact, I couldn't control the motif at all from the motif itself. After long contemplation, it occurred to me that it might have to do with the local control setting. So I turned local control on, And now I have a direct control of the motif back.
But..
Will this create other problems? I know I had it off for a reason. Probably so I don't trigger motif sounds and cubase vstis at the same time. So I'm thinking, maybe all I need to do is make sure everything is on different midi channels and I'm good to go.
Am I correct? Or are there any other issues to consider?
Thank you for any insight.
Dave

Posted : 08/11/2021 12:19 am
Bad Mister

In general, how you configure your setup will totally depend on what you are doing at the time. The Yamaha Motif XF Editor VST/Standalone, can handle MIDI recording communication and digital audio recording communication depending on your Motif XF and it’s configuration.

Since you make no mention whether you are using USB or FW, there is no one answer to your questions.

If you are connected via USB then you are using it for MIDI communication only. (As the XF sends no audio via USB).
If you are connected via FW (and you have an optional FW16E installed) then you can use it for both MIDI and 16 bus audio out from the XF..

If you are recording MIDI, then you want LOCAL CONTROL = OFF.
You want to send the Motif XF key presses Out via MIDI to Cubase…the MIDI Track receives from the XF and is targeting the “Motif XF VST—Midi In”… before the Editor routes the signal to the Motif XF hardware (Tone Generator).

If you put Local Control On, while doing MIDI recording you will get doubling because you are triggering the XF twice… once directly, and a second time through Cubase.

If you are recording Audio to Cubase, either by the XF’s FW16E, or an external Audio interface, you would put Local Control = ON because naturally, you want your key presses to trigger the XF Tone Generator directly.

Posted : 08/11/2021 1:35 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Oops. Yes I did forgot to mention that I'm using USB.

I see. So if I have local control on, I'm going to hear that double note.
But if I turn it off, that means that I can't use the motif knobs to tweak the EQ, for example, and the faders on the motif will only work for the track that is selected on Cubase.
Can you please confirm that this is correct (if it is)?

As always, thank you!
David

Posted : 08/11/2021 3:49 am
Bad Mister

I see. So if I have local control on, I'm going to hear that double note.
But if I turn it off, that means that I can't use the motif knobs to tweak the EQ, for example, and the faders on the motif will only work for the track that is selected on Cubase.
Can you please confirm that this is correct (if it is)?

That is not correct. When properly setup, the Motif XF VST is a 1:1 interface for the Motif XF. If you change anything on the Motif XF it will change on the Editor VST interface, and if you change a setting on the graphic interface of the Editor VST, it will change on the XF hardware — this will be true whenever the Editor is ONLINE.

When sequencing MIDI in Cubase you will use a Song Mixing, or a Pattern Mixing setup to select your 16 Parts.
When you select a TRACK in Cubase, the Editor VST will automatically select the XF Part associated with that Track.
And if you select that Part in the Editor it will automatically select the appropriate MIDI Track.

Extra Credit:
Link — Motif XF VST Guide

Posted : 08/11/2021 8:26 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks for correcting me.
I will carefully read the link you provided, and see if I can pinpoint where I'm going wrong.
I'll let you know.

Posted : 08/11/2021 3:56 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I don't see it I'm doing anything incorrectly according to the guide you provided.
I'm wondering if it has something to do with the midi port set up in QBase?

Here's what I have:

Windows midi in:
XF 8 -1 Active
XF 8 -2 Active
XF 8-3 Active

Windows midi out:
XF 8 -1 Active
XF 8 -2 Active
XF 8-3 Inactive

Posted : 08/11/2021 5:09 pm
Bad Mister

Not sure about where you are referring but there are four MIDI Ports

Yours may look different because you never indicated what version of Cubase you are using (we gather it is Windows as you finally mention a computer type). There are four MIDI ports.

The “In ’All MIDI Inputs’” column Port 1 is your principal MIDI Input

Extra Credit:
Link — Motif XF USB-MIDI Setup Windows Guide

Posted : 08/11/2021 7:42 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I'm using cubase artist 10.5.
On my midi port set up window, there is no motif port 4, neither input nor output.
I see on the screenshot above that ports 4 are inactive. Is that how mine should be?
Thanks.

Posted : 08/11/2021 7:55 pm
Bad Mister

Connect via USB
Connect the Motif XF to your computer via USB.

Set the Motif XF to MIDI IN/OUT = USB

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF2] MIDI
Set MIDI IN/OUT = USB
Press [STORE] to write this to your Flash ROM

Launch Cubase AI
Click STUDIO
Select STUDIO SETUP
Under the “MIDI” folder highlight “MIDI PORT SETUP”
You should see your Motif XF(x): Example below uses a Motif XF7
Select Motif XF(x)-1 as the “In ‘All Inputs’” (where ‘x’ is your Motif XF model 6, 7 or 8)
Additionally, you may mark port 3 (as shown) if you have another MIDI controller connected to the Motif XF’s MIDI IN jack.

You do not have to worry about the “State” (Active/Inactive) as this is only a current status report. You do not want to have Yamaha Motif XF7 Port 2 marked in the IN ALL INPUTS column as this is reserved for REMOTE CONTROL functions. If you have another controller keyboard plugged into the MIDI IN jack of the XF, you could possibly activate Port 3. The “In ‘ALL INPUT’” function is for your keyboard or MIDI controllers only.

To launch the Editor as VSTi (within CUBASE)
Launch Cubase first.

Go to STUDIO > VST INSTRUMENTS > select EXTERNAL > Motif XF VST You will be asked if you want to create a MIDI Track assigned to this plug-in.

When this is done you can navigate to the FILE > SETUP screen

Posted : 08/11/2021 8:10 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister,
I have followed your directions to the letter and here's what's happening:

Tone one functions work. Tone 2 functions do not (the eq at the bottom of the editor).
Arp fx doesn't work. Here I am talking about whether the editor response to moving the knobs on the motif.

Using the buttons 1 - 16 on the motif, I am able to select parts in the editor.

Faders on the motif are only able to control the part that selected. So if I have part one selected and I move the second fader on the motif, it moves the volume of the first part in the editor and also the the volume of the first part on the motive screen in mixing mode. So basically all eight faders control the volume of the same part. Surely this can't be right.

When you say it's a one to one correspondence, I take it you don't mean everything. If I press category on the motif, it doesn't open the the Voice library in the editor. If I select effect on the motif, it doesn't Open the effects screen in the editor. And so on.

On the other hand, once I have a certain section open on the editor screen, some parameters can be controlled by the motif. For example, I can edit an individual element from the motif and see the results in the editor.

It would be helpful to know what the rhyme or reason to this is.

Posted : 09/11/2021 4:35 am
Bad Mister

Tone one functions work. Tone 2 functions do not (the eq at the bottom of the editor).
Arp fx doesn't work. Here I am talking about whether the editor response to moving the knobs on the motif.

Again, when properly configured the Part selected will respond to any changes you make on the Editor, and in the hardware of Motif XF.
Yet another indication of a setup error.
Tone 2 controls the EQ and should work for the selected Part
ARP FX only works if an Arpeggio is applied

You are thinking it will change the screen… NO, (no need to switch the screen… once you are convinced it works, you don’t want it to change the screen. This allows you to be doing something else with hardware).

it affects the parameter change, not screen change. If you were to use the left front panel button to toggle to “Tone 2” row, you will see it reflect the settings you are changing in the software. Certainly you HEAR them change.

Arp FX only works on an active Arpeggio assigned to that Part.

Using the buttons 1 - 16 on the motif, I am able to select parts in the editor.

Because they are 1:1
You realize the TONE 1, TONE 2, and ARP functions are for the *selected* Part? One Part at a time… the Motif XF transmits to one at a time.

Faders on the motif are only able to control the part that selected. So if I have part one selected and I move the second fader on the motif, it moves the volume of the first part in the editor and also the the volume of the first part on the motive screen in mixing mode. So basically all eight faders control the volume of the same part. Surely this can't be right.

That is absolutely correct… MIDI 101… if you send CC7 (a known MIDI channel message) you will be transmitting on the selected PART’s channel.
The DAW MIDI Track receives all incoming MIDI data and routes it Out on the selected Channel. It rechannelizes the messages to the Tracks MIDI OUT Channel.

RHYME: If you want to change the MIDI Volumes of Cubase MIDI Tracks (CC7 is not used) — REASON: you would use the DAW REMOTE function… this will give you a Motif XF Fader for each and every Cubase Track you create, both Audio and MIDI — and it will allow you control multiple Part volume simultaneously.

CUBASE automation can be controlled on the Motif XF DAW REMOTE layer (Port 2).
Press the button [REMOTE ON/OFF] to activate.

When you say it's a one to one correspondence, I take it you don't mean everything. If I press category on the motif, it doesn't open the the Voice library in the editor. If I select effect on the motif, it doesn't Open the effects screen in the editor. And so on.

But if you change the parameter on the selected effect it changes both in the hardware and the software — parameter changes are 1:1, try actually changing a parameter. It is not screen selection, it is parameter control.

You are thinking it’s a Remote Control… changing a parameter setting on one changes the parameter on the other. The communication does not necessary change screens — the screen views are quite different on each. 1:1 means change the Effect from REV-X Hall to REV-X Room, it will change in software/hardware; Change the Send amount of a Part to a System Effect, it will change in hardware/software; again, when properly configured.

It would be helpful to know what the rhyme or reason to this is.

I’m going to highly recommend you download and read, the short “Yamaha Motif XF VST Editor Owner’s Manual”… it goes over each an every parameter, so you’ll get a sense of what is what.

I have found what helped most Motif XF people is being able to locate each parameter in the Motif XF firmware that you work in the Editor VST. Rather than guessing what you’re doing, actually knowing where each parameter is located actually helps with understanding what you are controlling and why.

If you want to use the Cubase Mixer and change the volume of multiple Parts (remember: the MIDI Tracks are in Cubase, not the Motif XF) it follows that when you want to control and further automate changes to functions like the volume faders, you would do so on the Cubase Mixer (F3). And you can document these changes using Cubase’s Read/Write Automation function.

The Motif XF can be setup to be a Remote Control surface for Cubase. You can see the Track names, in the Motif XF screen, you can control soft-synth plugins seeing their parameters in your XF screen.

To setup REMOTE:
STUDIO > MIDI Port Setup > under “Remote Device” select the “Motif XF” and set it to “Motif XF-2” (Port 2) In and Out.

Now when you open the Cubase Mixer you will see a Slider for every Track (MIDI and Audio; Inputs and Outputs).

To control the Cubase Mixer from the Motif XF hardware (you do not use the VST Editor, you use the hardware (it gives you access to multiple sliders, simultaneously. In the DAW REMOTE layer, the Motif XF *REMOTE* slider will not only control the Cubase Mixer, but the Editor VST’s Slider as well, when properly setup.

When you press [REMOTE ON/OFF] the front panel of the XF hardware becomes a control surface for the selected DAW (Cubase). You can view/control several sliders at a time, and you just move down the TRACK [] to view the next grouping… you can have as many Tracks as your version of Cubase allows. (See why standard MIDI Channel messages cannot be used? there are only 16 Channels, while you can easily have scores and scores of MIDI, AUDIO tracks, etc, in your Project. The XF can be used to control all of them, unlimited.

If you require multiple faders for mixing:
Remember the MIDI Tracks are in Cubase — makes sense to control them there (where they can be easily documented: automation
Use the Cubase Mixer - as you activate a Fader you will see the VST Editor and the XF hardware will fall in line with your Cubase Mixer setting (when properly configured).
Assign the Motif XF DAW Remote layer to handle the job. The XF Remote sliders control the Cubase Mixer, the Cubase mixer controls the Motif XF hardware (Tone Generator) that when ONLINE will be reflected in the Editor.

Hope that rhymes and makes the reasons a bit more clear. 🙂
Let us know.

Posted : 09/11/2021 12:27 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank you for that comprehensive explanation.

One to one means parameters not screens. Got it.

What's happening with tone 2 is odd:
If I move the left most knob on the motif (LowGain), I can see the graphic (on the motif screen) of the knob move, but the corresponding parameter number doesn't move, neither on the motif or in the editor. However, if I move the EQ low knob on the editor, the parameter changes both in the editor and the number below the knob in the motif. But the graphic of the knob on the motif doesn't move, but that little triangle that moves along the circumference of the knob does move. It's as if the knob on the motif has somehow got disconnected from the parameter it supposed to control. I say all this hoping that a detailed description might help determine where in the set up I am going wrong. If not, I guess I can live with it.

Regarding my question about" the faders on the motif are only able to control the part that is selected:"
I seem to remember that when I was using the editor as a standalone, each fader controlled its corresponding part. But now that I'm using the editor as a plug-in in QBase, since the Midi information is coming from the Daw instead of the motif, it doesn't work that way. Though I don't fully understand why.

This is all a bit daunting for the non-technical person, even after reading the editor manual.
Maybe I'm more interested than most in controlling things from the motif because using the knobs alleviates some discomfort I get when I use the mouse too much. The manual doesn't talk too much about motif to editor Control, probably because it isn't as important to most people. But your explanation clarified it for me.

I really do appreciate the time you put in to provide me with such a thorough answer.
Dave

Posted : 09/11/2021 4:37 pm
Bad Mister

Regarding my question about" the faders on the motif are only able to control the part that is selected:"
I seem to remember that when I was using the editor as a standalone, each fader controlled its corresponding part. But now that I'm using the editor as a plug-in in QBase, since the Midi information is coming from the Daw instead of the motif, it doesn't work that way. Though I don't fully understand why.

That is correct.

This is all a bit daunting for the non-technical person, even after reading the editor manual.
Maybe I'm more interested than most in controlling things from the motif because using the knobs alleviates some discomfort I get when I use the mouse too much. The manual doesn't talk too much about motif to editor Control, probably because it isn't as important to most people. But your explanation clarified it for me.

I really do appreciate the time you put in to provide me with such a thorough answer.
Dave

It is a beautiful thing once you sort it all out. The Motif XF VST, allows you to address the synthesizer in much the same way a plugin synth works. The Motif XF VST is a graphic representation of your Motif XF on the computer.

You output MIDI data to Cubase MIDI Tracks. When you want to move multiple physical Faders that is not done with the Motif XF VST… you use the Motif XF hardware, as a Remote Control Surface — to control Cubase. This takes place on an entirely separate MIDI Port reserved exclusively for this type of mixing control.

The graphic interface we call the Motif XF VST does not ‘control’ Cubase’s Faders… it is the Faders in Cubase that control the Volumes of the Cubase Tracks, which then control the XF tone generator…. Instead of thinking of the REMOTE ON/OFF for DAW as a totally separate thing.

Follow it through, it’s awesome!

Posted : 09/11/2021 6:36 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister,
The concept that the midi tracks are on cubase is starting to sink in.
So that means track volumes, sequencer data, pan, are no longer coming from the motif, so the motif can't handle these things like a mixer or sequencer.

That still leaves the parameters for a given part: eq, effects, all the voice edit stuff, all that is midi. But this midi has nothing to do with QBase; it's just between the motif and the editor.
Gosh I hope I'm right about all that.

I'm starting to think that my confusion stems from a lack of knowledge about Midi. I'm somewhat familiar from using the motif for a few years. I know about Control change and program change and midi events, and midi channels, but that's about it. Do I need to know more about the types of midi data, or something like that?
Dave

Posted : 10/11/2021 3:11 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

For anyone following this thread, this old post by Bad Mr is helping a lot.

https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/motif-xf-editor-vst-channel-purposes-a-few-questions-about-specifics

Posted : 12/11/2021 5:44 am
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us