Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Motif XF firmware update not working

27 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi guys, I tried to update the firmware on my yamaha motif XF. It has the 1.01 firmware, the first one.
- I format the USB
- tried two models
- I put only the update file on the root, nothing else is there, execpt a hidden (.thrashes) folder automatically created by mac.
- while keeping Utility and up arrow pressed I power up the keyboard, and hold them pressed, untill... the keyboard boots normally

My motif will not even bring the "looking for updates" page, so that two button command is not working. In a similar way, TEST MODE is not working either.

Other than this, the keyboard is working good as far as I see.

What can I do to update it?
Thanks,
Flo

Posted : 26/02/2018 9:16 am
Bad Mister

Put the USB Drive in the Motif XF
Press [FILE]
What does the very top line of the screen read?

Posted : 26/02/2018 9:35 am
Topic starter

Edited- I tried to upload a picture but it was too large, the answer is below. Somebody told me the "looking for updates" or something- message should come up anyway, but fail in the case of a bad USB stick. Even with no stick. Is it true?
I don't see that message

In top line I see

file 7.56GB
then below Device - USB1 -1
Thank you!

Posted : 26/02/2018 11:04 am
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,

file 7.56GB
then below Device - USB1 -1
Thank you!

Posted : 26/02/2018 11:05 am
Bad Mister

Okay let’s try it again... you have an 8GB drive, but it should be reporting how much of the drive is used

Try writing a file to that drive using the keyboard... that will tell us whether or not it actually sees that drive.

Posted : 26/02/2018 7:48 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for the help, Bad Minster! I backed up the sounds on the drive, and also I used the drive to playback a Wav file.

Posted : 26/02/2018 8:04 pm
Topic starter

Florin wrote:

Thanks for the help, Bad Minster! I backed up the sounds on the drive, and also I used the drive to playback a Wav file.

Also it shows 7.5 GB twice on the first line, so it means it shows it has 7.5 of 7.5. Perhaps since the firmware file is not very big. So I guess it is showing the free space on the stick, yes.

Posted : 26/02/2018 8:08 pm
Topic starter

Help! πŸ™‚

Posted : 28/02/2018 8:02 am
Topic starter

Anybody can help me? I tried pretty much everything I could, but it is not working, and I am stuck with 1.01 firmware.
Flo

Posted : 02/03/2018 7:00 am
Bad Mister

7.5GB/7.5GB means the drive is full, not empty.

Memory used/Total memory

So when you saved a file to this drive, please go and look at the file... here’s how:
Press [FILE]
Device - current drive device
Directory - what is listed by the Directoty (please be exact, without a screenshot we are dependent on you)
Set the TYPE = to the Type of File you saved... do you see it? You say you backed up the sounds... does that mean you made an ALL file (.X3A) or an ALL VOICE file (.X3V) or what... a little help for a little help.

Any reason why the drive should be reporting it is full?
Can you place the drive in your computer and select it... tell us what you see on this drive?
The computer should be able to see your test XF file, your .wav File, and the update file, let us know (try not to leave anything out).
Thanks.

In rereading the thread, I have to ask ... first thing you said was you formatted the drive... where? Using what protocol?

Posted : 02/03/2018 11:05 am
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,

I put an unlisted vid on youtube, with all the steps.
- Write something on an USP stick (another one, 3.7 G
- Check the written file on my mac. OK! Please note it shows 3.6 of 3.7 so it is free, not "used" probably it is how it shows in this firmware version.
- Format the stick on Motif - interesting, after formatting it shows 3.7 / 3.7, please note that. Maybe it is a bug in this firmware version (1.01)
- Copy the update file on the stick. You can see the hidden folders on the stick, I guess they are made by yamaha.
- Try to update it...

Exactly the same steps on my other USB stick.

And before, please answer me to this question: On another forum I asked, somebody told me, that it doesn't matter what stick you put in, as the MOTIF should look for updates anyway (the screen I don't see at all), and fail if the drive is not ok, or file not found. Is that true? Or the Motif will simply not do anythingat all if the stick is not OK?

Thanks, I really appreciate your help and patience.
Flo
Please check the video
https://youtu.be/jB3AWcWVdb4

Posted : 03/03/2018 12:30 pm
Topic starter

Help? πŸ™‚

Posted : 05/03/2018 6:45 pm
Bad Mister

I’m sorry, I can’t really see anything in that video. Did you copy the file to the root directory of the drive? There’s sound but I couldn’t hear you say what you were doing.

You made a test .X3A File but I didn’t see you name it or reload it. It’s important to know if the file works. Does it save and restore the data. We want to establish that your Motif XF can save and load data to that drive,
Do you know how to create and name a new ALL VOICE file?

Try setting that up
Give it a new name (don’t rename one of those ghost Mac files, try to ignore those)
Once you Save it to the drive, try Loading that file back to the XF.

This will establish the XF can use this drive.

Once you have established data can be written to and retrieved from the drive... place the 8K44OS_.pgm File in the root directory (not in a folder) of the drive.

Posted : 05/03/2018 9:31 pm
Topic starter

HI Bad Mister,

I will do as you said, and come back, but what we do know already is:
- Motif sees and formats the drive (as you can see in the video, I first format the drive using the Motif, before trying the update
- I saved an ALL file to the USB, and saw the file on my mac. Ok, I was to lazy to name it, but the file was there.
- I put a Wav file on the stick, and loaded it to the Motif XF, and played it back
- The .pgm file was put on the root directory, of course, you can see it in the video.

You also can see that my motif shows - TOTAL and FREE space, not TOTAL and USED. When it is formated motif shows 3.7 / 3.7. When I load a file, motif shows 3.6 / 3.7

You also can see that keeping those two buttons pressed while powering up the Motif will not bring the "looking for updates" message. Please, I asked you before, please confirm what others said- that I should see this message even with no USB stick.

SO I will do all the steps you said once again, but I guess we have already enough info to know that motif sees, reads and writes the USB stick.

Posted : 06/03/2018 5:04 am
Topic starter

OK, I saved an all voice file, the x3V file is 1.2 MB, I can see it
And I loaded it back, it works.

Format again on Motif- it works
Put the 8K44OS_.pgm File on the root of the USB

Try to update the firmware, but nothing happens. My motif is not even looking for the update, it just boots normally. And yes, all the buttons are functional in real use.

Posted : 06/03/2018 5:38 am
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us