Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How to set reverb for Microphone in voice/performance mode?

35 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi musicians, I have been struggling with the manual and the reference manual. Seems unclear to me. SO I just experiment. I now reset the MoxF8 to the factory settings because the quick setup for audio/midi showed nothing for the 1 setup for audio. I couldn't find where to edit that.

Anyway now you know it's set to the factory default. I have only set the a/D input to mic in the utility mode.

I can only get reverb for voice and performance if choosing "USB I/O" -> Mode = Stereo (insted of 2 stereo). But of course I wish to use the 2 stereo, since the other would be limiting myself to only sounding the piano with no DAW involved.

I have read this but a month ago now and it seemed confusing back then: https://www.yamahasynth.com/resources/moxf-setting-up-a-microphone-guitar-or-other-a-d-input/308-moxf-setting-up-a-microphone-guitar-or-other-a-d-input

Is there no reverb in the 2Stereo mode for voice /performance modes because it has to be set in Cubase AI that I have yet to set up??? (I guess it's not relevant for the song /pattern modes since that is strictly MIDI right?)

It is the first time i try to set up cubase with the synth since before I recorded straight audio to a usb flash drive (using an arranger digital piano).

Any advice how the heck to get hole through? I am confused about the ports and how to set them on the piano and in Cbase respectively. Everytime I look for an answer I am being taken out a tangent which is very confusing. Easier if I had done it before on other pianos. Unfortunately no chance of recording to audio straight on the MOXF8. SO I need the cubase involved. My process of recording stopped months ago, as I purchased the MOXF8 due to this complication. And I thought the C5 yamaha was complicated.

Posted : 10/05/2018 10:43 am
Bad Mister

You are correct in “1StereoRec” both the A/D and synth Parts traverse the System Effects block.
When setting up to record, the default has the A/D go to USB1/2, and the synth Parts use USB3/4 (including the System Effects). “2StereoRec”

From the YamahaSynth article on A/D Input.....

Setup for Audio processing
The A/D PART has its own setup parameters

If you are going to route your A/D INPUT Part to the main Left and Right outputs (L&R), you can use the System Reverb and Chorus Effects, and additionally assign the A/D PART its own (2) INSERTION EFFECTS. If, however, you are going to route the A/D INPUT PART to your DAW (you would do so in a situation where you are recording it as audio to your computer) then this is a situation where you want the signal isolated from the rest of the system. In this case, it will not use the SYSTEM EFFECTS, nor the MASTER FX or the MASTER EQ. The MOXF6/MOXF8 allows you to send the A/D INPUT on its own discreet stereo feed to your computer (USB 1/2) when you are using the 4CH (Dual Stereo configuration) set as "2StereoRec".

This routing scenario is setup to isolate the A/D PART from the rest of the signals - precisely because you want to process it differently from the rest. In such a case, you have the capability of assigning your A/D PART its own setup of INSERTION EFFECTS. The Insertion Effects can include reverbs, delays, leveling amplifies (compressor/limiters) etc., etc.

Alternate methods include setting up using “1StereoRec” when overdubbing your vocals.
Adding Reverb later is a common practice, as so much of knowing ‘how much’ is enough is based on hearing it in the context of the supporting instrumentation.

In the linked article below, you’ll learn how to activate the Insertion Effects on the A/D Input In. And how you can, if you wish, select and record with effects.

See the full article MOXF - Setting up a Microphone, Guitar or other AD Input

Posted : 10/05/2018 11:13 am
Topic starter

Thanks 🙂 SOme more questions to hone in on my solution:

1) Is it advantageous to use the mentioned Insertion A effect as a preset, when being a vocalist + pianist?

From here https://yamahasynth.com/resources/moxf-setting-up-a-microphone-guitar-or-other-a-d-input

" In SONG / PATTERN modes:
• Press [MIXING]
• Press [EDIT]
• Press [COMMON]
• Press [F5] A/D IN
• Press [SF2] CONNECT

Here you can select any two INSERTION EFFECTS.
• Press [F6] EFFECT
• Press [SF2] INS SWITCH

In SONG MIXING or PATTERN MIXING modes, you can activate the INSERTION EFFECT Switch for a maximum of 8 PARTS.

To turn on the Insertion Effect for the A/D input while in a MIXING mode:
Make sure that the INSERT SWITCH is checked for the A/D PART - remember a maximum of 8 PARTS can simultaneously have their INSERTION EFFECTS active, so you may need to turn OFF (uncheck) one of the synth PARTS in order to activate the INSERTION EFFECTS on the A/D PART"

and .....

"Set the INSERTION A to the "Cmp" category and select the VCM Compressor 376. The VCM Compressor will allow you to maximize your level and add presence and punch vocals.
• Press [SF3] INS_A to edit the selected Insertion Effect parameters. "

and ....

"This will let you select from a list of preset setups for the "VCM Compressor 376". Use the DATA WHEEL or INC button and select the Preset called, "Vocal Comp 117x". This preset is a good starting point for vocals. If you are routing your A/D INPUT to the USB 1/2 Outputs, you will be bypassing the SYSTEM EFFECTS, the MASTER EFFECTS and the MASTER EQ... so in order to use MOXF6/MOXF8 reverberation, you might opt to select a reverb algorithm as the second effect (of course, this is entirely up to you)."

2) I don't understand what the song/pattern mixing has to do with A/D which is audio? In the manual it doesn't mention mixing much. I thought mixing was only midi. SO why does it speak about using insertion effects for A/D input WHILE IN SONG/PATTERN MIXING? SHouldn't it be in performance mode? Or is the mixing converting the midi to audio, in which case recording the A/D input makes sense?

If confused just wait for another edition of MASHED 😉

Posted : 10/05/2018 3:27 pm
Bad Mister

I thought mixing was only midi.

Can’t help what you used to think... know now that both audio and MIDI are included in all the modes.
You can record audio to your DAW by routing the A/D Input PART to USB1/2, ... you simultaneously sing and play and record each discreetly to two separate tracks of your DAW.

WHY did you think Mixing was only MIDI? Expand your thinking!

The A/D Input can be used in any Mode. There is one setup that is used for all of VOICE Mode, but it has its own *PART* in a Performance or when used in Song/Pattern Mode. When it has its own Part you can store a different setup for it in each Performance and in each Song or Pattern. You may want different effects for different songs, etc.

The A/D Input Part can be a Stereo or a Mono device. That device can be recorded to your favorite DAW by properly routing the A/D Input Part (Performance or Sing/Pattern Mixing).

When setup to record “2StereoRec” (Dual Stereo Record) you can route the A/D Input discreetly to USB1/2, while the synth Parts go to USB3/4.

Posted : 10/05/2018 4:06 pm
Topic starter

Logically due to the mixing button appearing beside the song and pattern buttons which are strictly MIDI, and because the MIXING step is mentioned in the manual only as a proceeding of the before mentioned SONG /Pattern recordings, not regarding audio. (p 45 "COmpleting the Song by editing the mixing" ). I decided to go through the manual quickly after reading your answer, since it has been one month since I studied some of it.

Just to elaborate further on what you kindly have written: WOuld I use the performance A/D input Insertion effect when recording to a daw when singing and playing simultaneously and song/pattern mixing insertion effects for A/D input when mixing an already recorded song/pattern?

Posted : 10/05/2018 4:16 pm
Bad Mister

Yes, you could... in fact, I created a tutorial that steps you through this kind of Audio Recording:

Start with Part 1, to get the background, then Part 2 sets up the mic for playing and singing.

MOXF6/MOXF8 Basic Audio Recording

Posted : 10/05/2018 4:49 pm
Topic starter

Thank you :-). I will look at it later.

Posted : 10/05/2018 4:59 pm
Topic starter

Hi again. The link above to Basic Audio Recording does not work.
Regards Dines

Posted : 21/07/2018 9:02 am
Topic starter

WHen going through this setup guide .... https://yamahasynth.com/moxf-category/moxf6-moxf8-basic-audio-recording

...a window pops up saying preparing for installation and it stays there with no results. My pc is a fast laptop, new. SPeed is no issue here. (PS: I was not able to enter the thread I previously started and it seems impossible to locate old threads made by myself. Luckily I saved the location within my bookmarks in the browser but no matter how many times it asks me to log in I can not reply to the thread. SUrely this is a bug)

THis is the part I have come to in the basic guide Bad Mister has provided.
"
In the "VST AUDIO SYSTEM" folder, the DRIVER is selected for streaming AUDIO IN and OUT. This is the ASIO Driver.
If you are using a Windows computer the option for ASIO DRIVER may be listed as "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO".
If you are using a Macintosh computer the option for ASIO Driver may be listed by the product name "Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8". This is the equivalent setting. The MOXF is acting as the Audio Interface for the application.

If you did not install the MOXF Extensions (REMOTE TOOLS 1.0.1) you will need to make these settings manually. However, installing the Remote Tools should make all these critical settings for you. However, we list them here in case you need to troubleshoot the settings.
"

I have these tools installed:

Yamaha editor standalone version 1.6.8
Yamaha Moxf6/f8 Remote tools version 1.0.4
Yamaha Steinberg USB driver version 1.10.0

I uninstalled the REmote tools and reinstalled it.

I had the same issue another earlier day.

Recently there was an issue with my license but I repaired it by entering Admin mode on my laptop.

Please tell me how to proceed now that I am so close to a breakthrough. Never done these things before.

Regards
Dines

Posted : 24/07/2018 5:29 pm
Bad Mister

The article steps you through a basic real-time recording of a MOXF Performance “Dark Continent”... what results did you get? Did you follow the tutorial step-by-step?
I realize this is not necessarily what you want to record - but that is on purpose so that you can focus on the routine (not drift off into the music) Try it, Step-by-Step, then advance to Part 2 where we continue the tutorial.

Let us know.

Posted : 24/07/2018 6:12 pm
Topic starter

Definately I followed the steps, I even try to be less perfectionistic for creative purposes in general. I thought you might know why the heck it stalls when changing to the Yamaha Steinberg usb driver within the "Studio settings". DO you have a clue or should I ascribe this mind bugging annoyance to general tech issues? The sooner someone can tell me the sooner I will be able to produce again. Has been half a year since I got the MOXF8. Have not recorded zip zero squat nill etc

Posted : 24/07/2018 8:16 pm
Bad Mister

Definately I followed the steps, I even try to be less perfectionistic for creative purposes in general. I thought you might know why the heck it stalls when changing to the Yamaha Steinberg usb driver within the "Studio settings".

Nope, I don’t know why your system stalls. It is not supposed to stall. You are telling us that you are following the steps, but humor us and recount them...

If your error message is a Windows thing, you should contact MicroSoft... there is nothing in the tutorial article that would cause Cubase to say it was installing something (screenshot of the message would actually be helpful).

“...when changing to the Yamaha Steinberg usb driver.” I have to ask, from what?
Can you post screenshots of your setup?
Recording should be extremely easy, there is no reason why you shouldn’t be doing it.

Posted : 24/07/2018 11:51 pm
Topic starter

WHen I change from the generic low latency ASIO driver. I attached 3 screenshots of what happens in Studio setup (time chronologically left to right). THere was a temporary pop up which then dissapeared and got replaced by the last of the shots in this document:HTML writer. It is in Danish: Says "Preparing to install". Have no clue what it means.

Yes, now it struck me that it is a windows thing (as you mentioned) since in CUbase the language is English and the pop up is in Danish.

Attached files

Posted : 25/07/2018 9:31 am
Bad Mister

That definitely is a Windows issue... You'll have to trust me, this is particular/peculiar to your system.

We can try to help you resolve this _ at least we can check to see if the Driver installed properly: On your computer go to CONTROL PANEL > Hardware and Sound > Find the icon for the "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver" > double click it to open its control panel - this will allow you to review your installation and version.

Let us know.

Posted : 25/07/2018 4:38 pm
Topic starter

As you see on the screen prints below, when looking at the installed programs (the place to uninstall programs) you see the driver as the last program on the list. But when looking into the sounds in the other screenshot with all the units, there is no driver to see anywhere. I checked that it is installed since I am capable of removing it if wanting to, which I refused when checking it. But does this look as if my system doesn't recognize it for some reason? I use windows 10. I don't know if there are any issues with this rather recent version.

Attached files

Posted : 26/07/2018 7:04 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us