Notifications
Clear all

What happened to soundMondo?!?

46 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
20.4 K Views
Robert

@Bad Mister Nice information, but you still haven't actually given us an e.t.a. on when the site will be up for public consumption. Also, I want to note that for us DX users, we want to SHARE our patches as well as get new ones that someone else created or tweaked. This can be done without a QR-code, right? Esp if you are connected into a USB slot of a desktop Windows computer?

EDIT: I actually went and investigated this, and found the website to be functioning in the latest version of Google Chrome, and I am on a Windows 7 64-bit machine.

I do, however, have to do a bit of jockeying between my Ipad and my desktop computer with the USB connection, in order to store the new sounds to my reface app. When are you going to get support in the reface app for directly connecting to SoundMondo.com from within the app?

Safari does not have midi support, and neither does the Google Chrome iOS app. Any chance of a fix for these issues, as well?

Posted : 05/12/2015 10:44 pm
Robert

- I don't and can't use the Reface capture app because I don't own an iPad or iPhone

- I have no problem at all sending the SYX files to my Reface DX. What you need is:
1. A USB cable to connect the Reface to your computer. (The type of cable that is also used to connect a USB printer for example)

2. You may need to install the USB-MIDI driver from Yamaha for the Reface DX for Windows.
This is also where you can download the latest firmware updater for your Reface (with nice new phrase sequencer quantizing functionality. Recommended!) and all the manuals.

3. You need a universal SysEx dump utility like Midi-Ox (Windows) or amidi (Linux commandline). Read this:
Recommended software for MIDI dumps
One more remark: The Reface does not have a manual way to send SysEx patchdumps TO your computer. The computer will have to send this SysEx dump request message to the Reface DX to fetch the currently selected patch: f0 43 20 7f 1c 05 0e 0f 00 f7
Those dumputilities should have functionality to do this.

4. Select the correct USB/MIDI port in your dump utility.

5. Select a Reface DX SysEx file from disk and send it to your Reface DX.

@Martin, sounds a bit arcane and complicated to me. I do have an iPad, and the reface iOS app seems to work fine. The amount of voices I can capture is limited only by my device's storage.

I'm not a programmer per se I just like programming voices in the DX, whether it's from the INIT VOICE function or one of the existing pre-installed patches. I've already updated my DX reface 1.20, I do know how to access the support section of a website like Yamaha- but thanks for the info.

Personally, I don't find knowledge about storing and transferring SysEx data interesting, since I don't really need it or find it relevant. Seems you've had to do a bit of homework to find 'work-arounds' for not being able to use the reface capture app. Maybe you want to think about purchasing an iPad and a USB camera connection kit? Even an iPod would work, since you can use iPhone apps on it (over WiFi connection, of course) Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Apple apologist- I do own a Windows 7 64-bit desktop, and a Windows 10 64-bit laptop, and know more about Windows operating systems than I could ever hope to understand about os10, 12, or whatever version Apple is using these days. I just find the iPad convenient to use since I DON'T have to think about the programming behind the apps (except when they do an update and it 'breaks' something that worked before)

I applaud all the knowledge you've gained doing things the 'old-school' way, and can understand why you are loathe to let any of it go to the 'dust bin'- a system you're familiar with and can understand, and in which you can operate fluently, apparently. But I'm more of what you programmers call an 'end-user' and not really interested in all the intricate and complex details behind the mechanics... I'm more interested in learning just enough to do the practical application of programming voices, and that's it. Like when I was younger and used to repair my own cars, but now I just pay someone else to fix it so I can just drive the car..maybe not a completely accurate comparison here, but close enough for this analogy.

Posted : 05/12/2015 11:09 pm
Martin
Eminent Member

I am sure the iPad and iPhone are great stuff, and I am sure the iPad app is working fine. I am just trying to help people who do not own one.
You don't need to know all about SysEx codes and programming. But you can be sure the guys who have created Soundmondo and the Reface capture app know everything about this stuff, and have used this knowledge to help people like you to do your thing.

In the long term the knowledge that i have (and share) will lead to patches and applications that everyone - without this knowledge - can use and enjoy.

Personally I often like to do things the old-school way on a Linux commandline.
If I have a patch in a sysex file called "epiano.syx" on my harddisk all I have to do to load it in my Reface is type "amidi -p hw:1,0,0 -s epiano.syx". No camera needed, no internet connection needed, no login procedures, no mouseclicks, no questions like "Are you sure?". I don't mind to be the only one who prefers this method πŸ™‚

In the mean time I think I have found a way to send SysEx files from my Android device (I have a Nexus 7) to my Reface DX. An usb-otg cable is used for the connection, and an app called Midi Commander. This app can be made to control the Reface DX parameters, but there is also a menu where you select a file and send it to MIDI. I have used it with an USB-MIDI interface cable with other synths. Will try with the RefaceDX usb interface today. I will let you know my experiences. BTW: I must admit similar apps, but much more and much better, exist for the iPad. But I use cheap Android (phone, tablet) and free Linux (laptop).

Posted : 06/12/2015 10:09 am
 Ian

I know I must be thick - but what is the address for the soundmondo site? I can't find it, I've updated my reface dx and installed the windows drivers.... what have I missed? thanks for your help

Posted : 09/12/2015 5:33 pm
Bad Mister

Soundmondo.yamahasynth.com

This is the open beta (soft launch)... We anticipate going live first or second week of the new year.

Currently, it requires the Chrome browser on either a Windows or Macintosh computer.
Currently, if you have an iOS device, iOS does not support MIDI via the Chrome browser.
If you have an Android device you can access it using the Chrome browser.

Join us, and welcome!!

Posted : 09/12/2015 9:21 pm
 Ian

thank you!

Bad Mister wrote:

Soundmondo.yamahasynth.com

This is the open beta (soft launch)... We anticipate going live first or second week of the new year.

Currently, it requires the Chrome browser on either a Windows or Macintosh computer.
Currently, if you have an iOS device, iOS does not support MIDI via the Chrome browser.
If you have an Android device you can access it using the Chrome browser.

Join us, and welcome!!

Posted : 10/12/2015 8:43 am

hm - it was working for a few days in OS X 10.9 - but now it is broken again.
After clicking on the "sync"-button nothing happens, no editor appears and no sound is transferred.
In Windows 7 everything is working fine.
(edit: except that it is very slow, sometimes the sync button is completely greyed out, and i'm logged of after every browser restart)

Posted : 12/12/2015 5:32 pm
Bad Mister

Helfried wrote:

hm - it was working for a few days in OS X 10.9 - but now it is broken again.
After clicking on the "sync"-button nothing happens, no editor appears and no sound is transferred.
In Windows 7 everything is working fine.
(edit: except that it is very slow, sometimes the sync button is completely greyed out, and i'm logged of after every browser restart)

I have not tried with Windows 7. That might be true seems to work fine on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 (I've tested these thoroughly...

Thanks I'll report that - but it may just be stretching it to hope for perfection on 7 - (then again, there may be something that can be adjusted). I'll let you know.

Posted : 13/12/2015 1:11 am

ha - for anyone who is interested - i found out, what was the problem with Soundmondo on my Mac all the time:
I had the app "Midi-Monitor" (by Mr.Sarayuth Thampokin, V.1.5) in my startup items, it was running in the background and prevented chrome and my reface to communicate properly.
Maybe the app blocked some sysex-transfers - the strange thing is, that chrome always recognized my reface DX as soon as it was plugged in, even with the app in the background, but the edit and transfer-pages did not open and no transfer was possible - and strange, that it worked on Parallels-Windows on the same Mac -
but anyway - everything works when "Midi-Monitor" is not running ! πŸ™‚

Posted : 17/12/2015 12:50 am
Bad Mister

Helfried wrote:

ha - for anyone who is interested - i found out, what was the problem with Soundmondo on my Mac all the time:
I had the app "Midi-Monitor" (by Mr.Sarayuth Thampokin, V.1.5) in my startup items, it was running in the background and prevented chrome and my reface to communicate properly.
Maybe the app blocked some sysex-transfers - the strange thing is, that chrome always recognized my reface DX as soon as it was plugged in, even with the app in the background, but the edit and transfer-pages did not open and no transfer was possible - and strange, that it worked on Parallels-Windows on the same Mac -
but anyway - everything works when "Midi-Monitor" is not running ! πŸ™‚

Helfried, Thanks for reporting back. This is very much appreciated.

In order for this worldwide community (Soundmondo) to work we need as much feedback from its users as we can get... Particularly during this soft-launch/working beta era. On paper the idea is simple to state, but in reality (as experience teaches us) it can be filled with many details and hurdles to jump over.

It still recognized some thing was connected but grabbing enough resources to run seems to be what it was.

Often to guarantee working some software "grabs" and reserves the resources to run. If something was holding resources, this can cause issues. Usually they ask you to allow this when installed, mostly we just agree. But this is the reason troubleshooting can be difficult - everyone has different software installed. Posting your conflict and solution will undoubtedly help someone else down the line... So thanks again!

Enjoy!

Posted : 17/12/2015 1:44 pm
Robert

Okay, I can get my reface to connect to Google Chrome and exchange voices, but only on my P.C. I would like to see support for Google Chrome on iOS, so I could store patches directly from Soundmondo.com into my reface capture app. And by the way, it would be great if you would further develop the reface capture app so that Soundmondo.com is integrated into the app, and doesn't require you to go outside the app to get the patches you want or upload the ones you've made. Maybe Yamaha needs to start working with Apple to get an iOS update that supports web midi in applications.

I see many people taking advantage of Soundmondo (including myself) as every time I log in, there are new patches available. This could become the next big wave in synth history, and if Yamaha doesn't stay on top of developing and further 'polishing' this medium, some other synth manufacturer like Korg or Roland will come up with their own version and add more support/ bells and whistles, etc.

Also, interestingly, I cannot log into yamahasynth.com's forums on Google Chrome, even though I can log into Soundmondo.com on Chrome. I find this a bit weird, considering it is all Yamaha. Any thoughts on why this is??

Posted : 19/12/2015 10:30 pm
Bad Mister

Robert wrote:

Okay, I can get my reface to connect to Google Chrome and exchange voices, but only on my P.C. I would like to see support for Google Chrome on iOS, so I could store patches directly from Soundmondo.com into my reface capture app. And by the way, it would be great if you would further develop the reface capture app so that Soundmondo.com is integrated into the app, and doesn't require you to go outside the app to get the patches you want or upload the ones you've made. Maybe Yamaha needs to start working with Apple to get an iOS update that supports web midi in applications.

I see many people taking advantage of Soundmondo (including myself) as every time I log in, there are new patches available. This could become the next big wave in synth history, and if Yamaha doesn't stay on top of developing and further 'polishing' this medium, some other synth manufacturer like Korg or Roland will come up with their own version and add more support/ bells and whistles, etc.

Robert, I'm not sure why you think that this is not exactly what is happening. And you feeling that Yamaha isn't on top of developing this... Quite the contrary. What makes you think otherwise? Just curious...
We will continue to work to make Soundmondo "the next big wave in synth history" - you can count on it.

Also, interestingly, I cannot log into yamahasynth.com's forums on Google Chrome, even though I can log into Soundmondo.com on Chrome. I find this a bit weird, considering it is all Yamaha. Any thoughts on why this is??

I'm writing to you logged into Google Chrome. Perhaps you should check your settings.

If you continue to have problems, please make a post (with your info) in the Forum heading: Site Feedback.
This will help us stay "on top of developing this" - we appreciate your support and patience.

Posted : 20/12/2015 5:11 pm

Hello...is there a way to control the DX's effects parameters and the envelopes over midi? Also,recently i switched my Dx on and the display said "factory reset". Now all my own patches are gone. What should i do now? Is there a hidden key function i could have touched accidentally or does it have to be serviced?

Posted : 05/03/2016 11:11 pm

Hi there!

I would like to know if there is any user guide pdf for the Yamaha Reface Soundmondo iOS app. I've already captured all the factory presets and some new ones I've added, so, every preset I want for now are in my Voice section of the app.
I would like to know how to move them to the proper Set Lists I've created, if possible… I found it not so intuitive…
Thanks in advance.

Posted : 21/01/2017 5:40 pm
Blake Angelos
Member Admin

Hi Emanuel:

Here is how you access and create set lists.

First, select the voice you want from the ones you have captures (touch the name of the voice at the bottom).
At the bottom of the screen you will see an image of a book with a "+" in the lower right hand corner (See image SM1 attached here). This is where you will both access existing set lists and where you can create your own. If you want to create new set list touch the "+Create Set List" and you will be prompted for a name. If you want add more voices to an existing set list, touch the name of that set list. (See image SM2 below). When you touch the set list name you will see the number 1 confirming that you have added a voice to that set list.
Once you have added a voice to a set list, touch the "X" in the upper left corner to close the window and select another voice to add to your set list in the same way.

Once you have added voices to a Set List, you can organize them by touching and holding a voice. After a few seconds the icons that represent the voices will jiggle and a red circle will appear in the upper left hand corner of each icon. You can now move the voices into the locations you want and if you want to delete a voice from the set list just touch the red circle. This will delete the voice from that set list but now your library.

As far as a PDF user guide, if you touch in upper right hand corner (where the circle with three horizontal line appears) You have a choice of three options (See image SM3 below).

View voice by name, date or rating
The gear Icon is overall app settings (connected insturment, account name, Bluetooth MIDI devices like the UD-BT01, EULA, version and so on)
The question mark is the manual. It does a good job explaining the entire app.

Does this help? Let me know!

Attached files

Posted : 24/01/2017 8:01 pm
Page 3 / 4
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us