Synth Forum

Is there a differen...

Notifications
Clear all

Is there a difference between the PC133 168 Pin DIMMs?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Tony
 Tony
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Is there a difference between the various PC133 168 Pin DIMMs for sale?

On eBay I find the 512MB pairs which say they are for the Motif XS selling for $25+.

I also see what appears to be identical DIMMs which do not say that they are for the Motif selling for $2.50!

I can certainly understand if there's something special about the form factor, but darned if I can see any difference.

Also, the manual says that the limit is 2x512MB (1GB), but I also see ads for 2x1GB (2GB) which say they are for the Motif XS.

Any thoughts as I go shopping for DIMMs for my Motif XS8?

Thanks!

Posted : 05/08/2016 5:01 am
Bad Mister

Yamaha recommends that you purchase DIMMs that conform to the JEDEC* standard. Please be aware, however, that conformance to this standard does not constitute a guarantee that the DIMMs will operate correctly on the MOTIF XS.
*JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) sets standards for terminal configurations within electronic devices.
• Use only 168-pin DIMMs of 64, 128, 256 or 512 MB capacity (synchronized DRAM; PC100 or PC133).
• When installing DIMMs, make sure to install them in a matched pair of the same capacity. You cannot install only one module and leave the second memory socket open. Also make sure each DIMM in the pair is of the same manufacturer and the same type. DIMMs of different makers and configurations may not work together.
• When purchasing DIMMs, make sure that the DIMM design does not utilize more than 18 memory chips per module. (DIMMs comprised of more than 18 chips do not operate correctly on the MOTIF XS.)

Posted : 05/08/2016 10:08 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us