HS8 setup

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Honzinus78
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi,

I kind a need some help with my HS8 monitors setup.

The problem is the low end. A common issue I guess. I placed my monitors 20% away from the back wall (a curtain) and I'm sitting at 38 - 40 % spot. I also treated my room to some extent.
My issue is the kick sound, especially the Linn Kick, my all-time favorite drum machine. I am using Reel Machines (Addictive Drums 2) and the sample is mono. I can't get the Kick sound the same from both speakers. The right speaker produces more low end than the left one. Swapping the speakers doesn't help. I moved the spekars closer to each other and it helped a little. Bottom line is that I am unable to find the spot in my room where both speakers will produce the same low end, there is still some difference. I also tried some free apps to measure the room response, but it didn't help much.. Even Room Control switch on HS8 has not solved the problem..
I believe that I'm still not getting the proper low end response which is crucial to mixing.

Thanks

Regards

Honzinus

Posted : 06/11/2022 6:34 pm
Honzinus78
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Both channels are identical,

The speaker orientation is the long way in the room,

No microphones, virtual instrument used,

The problem is in speaker placement..

Posted : 06/11/2022 7:36 pm
Member Admin

Have you got any good foam pads to set the speakers on, that let in the speaker, in that they absorb and grip the resting speaker, under its own weight?

For bass, that hits, these can be the biggest advantage, as the grip of the pad can mean there's no loss of hit from the oomph of the magnet's move of the driver to slight "skidding" of the speaker during (especially) the transient of a bass hit. Especially if the power of the speaker relative to its weight means that it can be moved a little by the force of its magnet under significant load.

Alternatively, if you've got no good pads available, try putting something extremely heavy on top of the left speaker to see if that makes it better.

And if you want a quick and dirty foam pad, from a "matt", cut up your wife's favourite yoga matt into squares and try a few of them, again with various weights on the speakers to secure them "into" the padding.

Posted : 06/11/2022 10:22 pm
Honzinus78
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your help.

I finally mange to set it up properly. I found a spot in a room where the bass response is almost flat with no other noticable reflections. It took me some time to figure it out and I can honestly say that the rules are to be broken.;)

I will deal with the same situation next summer. I am builidng my own house with a small studio and I am going to purchase another pair of HS8 speakers and do some acoustic treatment.

Thanks for the tips, this forum is always very friendly!

Regards

Honzinus

Posted : 07/11/2022 10:21 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us