Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

CK vs CP 88: Thoughts So Far

17 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

[quotePost id=121149][quotePost id=121148]I was able to compensate for this by slightly bumping up the Touch Offset (68 from 64). Though this is an improvement, the issue is that this is per sound...so sure maybe I could save it to a Live Set but that means I'm gonna be constantly tethered to that just to feel really good about fundamental playing.[/quotePost]
I had mentioned to John Melas that it would be a nice enhancement to his CP/YC tools if you could apply the touch sensitivity settings to multiple sounds (through copy-and-paste or some other mechanism), so you souldn't have to enter all the numbers separately for all the Live Sets where you want your preferred piano settings, and he liked the idea. Though whether or not he'll actually update the editors with new capabilities is still an unknown.[/quotePost]

Is there a way to have these settings be global, like in a master setting?

Posted : 13/04/2023 11:45 pm
 Paul

[quotePost id=121159][quotePost id=121157][quotePost id=121156]My friend used to joke that even his 1980 casio had SSS, it was just unknown to not offer it. [/quotePost]

Your point about processing power is valid--which would also explain the lower polyphony count in the CK vs CP/YC if I remember--but you just about listed every major flagship and flagship-adjacent board out there from the last 8 years ? .[/quotePost]

There are genuine technical issues in providing SSS for AWM2. Most people imagine a real fast computer at the heart of tone generation. For AWM2, nope. It is a hardware pipeline. Even though Yamaha have never described their design, it likely consists of multiple hardware channels (pipelines) where the computational units are arranged in a fixed order. The units operate in a parallel, overlapping manner.

AWM2 unwinds synthesis across the pipelines in both space (units) and time (stages). A pipeline is not easily switched from one computation to another. If you do an abrupt switch, you get the sonic artifacts (nasties).

SSS forces a pre-allocation of target redundant units such that the original pipes can run to completion without an abrupt interruption. SWP70-based platforms have sufficient units for SSS. SWX-based machines, do not. YC uses SWP70. I suspect that the CKs are SWX-based.

This is probably TMI for many people, but there you are -- pj

Posted : 14/04/2023 4:53 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us