Notifications
Clear all

No power supply!

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Finally managed to get a CK61 this week - they have been on backorder here since release, and still in short supply. It is brilliant, and I'll post more about that elsewhere.

But for this post: My CK61 arrived without a power supply, and upon querying this, my store advised that the PSU is excluded in some locations, and you have to buy it separately. Since Yamaha had advertised it as being in the box (in their FAQs, the manual, demos on their Youtube channel, etc), I dug my heels in, and the store arranged for Yamaha to ship one direct to me. The exclusion is noted in a fine print asterisk on the specs page.

I'm interested to know other opinions here - not just for the CK, but in general - would you ever expect a powered instrument to ship without a power supply? I was very surprised, because I've bought lots over the years, and I've never once come across one sold with no power supply. Imagine buying a laptop or television, only to find that you have to go back again and buy the cord. (Sure, the CK has the option of battery power, but I see that more as the handy alternative than the main solution, especially as my low battery warnings starting showing after only 2 hours - less than a typical gig). Even the reface keyboards ship with a power supply included.

The Yamaha crew would presumably read these forums, so for what it's worth, here's my opinion: omitting the power supply from the box is guaranteed to disappoint your customers. If it's a cost saving measure, I suggest looking for a different one; it's a pretty lame way to boost the margin. If you just included the power supply, and increase the RRP by the same amount, customers wouldn't even know the difference, and would walk away happy.

Posted : 21/06/2023 5:02 am
Prominent Member

The Yamaha crew would presumably read these forums

My suggestion is to use your experience as a reminder that YOU need to take action when you want to make sure something happens.

Don't rely on Yamaha to 'read these forums'.

Take the initiative and use the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom right of this page and let them know about your experience.

Hope you get your power supply soon.

my low battery warnings starting showing after only 2 hours

If you are using rechargeables, even new ones, make sure they are fully recharged before you use them. And then make sure you fully discharge them, fully charge them, fully discharge them, fully charge them, for a few cycles to get the best usage. That will make them last longer.

Posted : 21/06/2023 3:24 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

A battery's capacity (how long it lasts) is mostly specified by the mAh. What's the mAh spec for your batteries?

I do agree I would be unpleasantly surprised if a new keyboard didn't include a power supply. In fact, a Native Instruments MIDI controller I purchased didn't come with a power supply - it was something I had to buy after figuring out it didn't come with one. Although the MIDI controller powers on using a USB connection (and no separate power supply) - features are disabled when using USB power requiring the external power supply to get the full feature set. I wasn't happy about it - the problem was more with the hassle of ordering than the cost (which was a small tax vs. the price of the instrument). Still, it was a temporary pain point.

Posted : 21/06/2023 3:56 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

[quotePost id=122207]

My suggestion is to use your experience as a reminder that YOU need to take action when you want to make sure something happens.

Don't rely on Yamaha to 'read these forums'.

Take the initiative and use the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom right of this page and let them know about your experience.

[/quotePost]
I took action. I now have the power supply that was advertised. I'm not really that interested in contacting Yamaha directly about it, because what outcome would I be pursuing? I really just wanted to benchmark my expectations against other users to see if they were reasonable, and maybe give other prospective buyers a heads-up to check the fine print.

Yamaha can read the forums, or not read them. It's a cheap source of market insight, so if it were me, I would read them.

In this instance, what they would learn is that the level of goodwill (which has always been extremely high for me) has been moved down by a small notch, which isn't something a business wants to do too many times.

Posted : 21/06/2023 10:46 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I'm not too sure what the capacity rating of my batteries was - I would suspect quite low, because they were just supermarket batteries that I had in the house. The only reason I used batteries at all was because after weeks of waiting eagerly, I found that I had no power - my most disappointing unboxing to date 😀

Posted : 21/06/2023 11:00 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

There used to be a user called Bill on this forum, who was a bit waspish, mildly patronizing, and used capitals a lot. Not sure whatever happened to him.

Posted : 21/06/2023 11:28 pm

[quotePost id=122214]There used to be a user called Bill on this forum, who was a bit waspish, mildly patronizing, and used capitals a lot. Not sure whatever happened to him.[/quotePost]

Awesome. 🙂 That gave me a smile today.

Posted : 22/06/2023 12:40 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Using random batteries you already have gave you 1/2 of the specified max runtime. That's pretty good. There are high capacity (high mAh) batteries that would likely put you at or near the maximum spec of 4hrs. Whatever Yamaha used to come up with the max runtime is going to be a high performance battery (and probably not available at the local grocery store although Energizer has a premium battery you could probably get a hold of).

I know this doesn't solve anything. I think your usage would require more than 4 hrs in one session.

However, I just wanted to help out clear up the battery performance experience.

Posted : 22/06/2023 1:17 am
david
Reputable Member

My CK61 came with a power supply. The batteries are ONLY for if you wanted to go outside NOT for all around normal use. That's just stupid if Yamaha were to actually think you are going to use batteries instead of a real power supply that cost them $5 to add it. I returned my CK but there was nothing to the power supply, light as a feather plastic with tiny wire. Had mine come without a power supply I would have contacted the dealer and Yamaha etc. for an explanation and complaint for sure. Probably would have returned it for that as well just because it's stupid. Massive industry leader music company can't include a $5 power supply. Maybe someone opened it and forgot to put it back. Dealers claim that they are required to open every box to confirm contents. Also make certain you look inside the custom fitted forms because they hide that stuff internally. It's so light and small you might toss it in the garbage. Has trash pickup happened yet?

Posted : 22/06/2023 4:19 am

I believe that Adrian mentioned he now has the power supply so batteries are not an issue.

Posted : 22/06/2023 5:29 am

Yes, it's poor form that a power supply wasn't included, especially for the price you pay. It's not a $100 keyboard we're talking about.

I'm in Australia. My CK88 came with two stickers: one said "AC adapter: not included", but a sticker on the other side said "This unit has been opened for correction to Australian voltage". Mine came with a third-party generic power supply.

Posted : 08/07/2023 2:39 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us