Clear all

ADSR Envelope

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi everybody,

is it possible to adjust the ADSR-envelope parameters on the CP73/88?

Thank You,

Oliver

Posted : 17/11/2021 7:36 pm
Bad Mister

You can adjust Attack and Release segments of an Amplitude Generator in the Sub section library.

Looking to do full synthesis —ADSR being the Attack-Decay-Sustain-Release parameters found on a synthesizer in the three Envelope Generators (Pitch, Filter, Amplitude)— you want to look into a synthesizer.

Generally speaking, Envelope Generators control how something changes over time — from Key-On to Key-Off and beyond til silence. When dealing with Amplitude for example, how quickly does the sound rise in volume after the Key strike. Decay describes any initial reduction in output level so that a percussive Attack can be defined, Sustain is the level it remains at while the Key is held, Release is what happens to the signal once you let go of the Key.

On a synthesizer, like the MONTAGE/MODX, you get an envelope generator for the Oscillator (controls Pitch variations over time). You get a second envelope generator for the Filter to control timbre (brightness) change over time. You also get the Amplitude (loudness) envelope which is the most familiar - how it starts, proceeds and disappears in volume output.

You have a Stage Keyboard so that level of detail is not the same as a synthesizer (not near as deep or detailed). You can address the Attack (how it starts) and the Release (how it disappears) via the dedicated from panel knobs. These dedicated knobs are in the “Sub Section”

On a synthesizer, like MONTAGE/MODX you could edit a string sound so it behaved like a piano or a drum hit with a percussive attack and a quick exit… on the Stage Keyboard, you can change the strings from a quick bowed-like beginning to a slow gradual rise, and with Release change it from dying out quickly to a slow fade after you release the keys. On the Stage Keyboard you get what is most practical to edit on-the-fly. Broad strokes. If you’re I nterested in making strings that behave like drums, you’ll want a synth with a full ADSR-type envelope generator.

On stage, on the fly, if need a slow rise on the strings behind your piano chords… reach for the Attack knob… raising it slows the Attack.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 17/11/2021 8:55 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank you for your reply.

I was indeed looking for an ADSR curve for the acoustic piano sounds. I wanted to know if there is a possibility on the CP88 to shorten the release a bit to make the sound more percussive.

I'm used to this from my MotifXF8. One of the assignable functions within a piano sound is assigned to this function. I like this very much.

Too bad it is not possible on the CP88.

Posted : 18/11/2021 11:44 am
Bad Mister

I was indeed looking for an ADSR curve for the acoustic piano sounds. I wanted to know if there is a possibility on the CP88 to shorten the release a bit to make the sound more percussive.

What you can do
Go to “Settings”
Select “Advanced Mode Sw”
Select “Sub”
And set the Advanced Mode On for the “Sub” Section

You now will be able to select the acoustic piano of your choice in the “Sub” Section.
You do so by returning to the main screen and using the slots in the screen.
Turn the Sub Section Switch = On to activate selection
You will select the Acoustic Piano using the main screen (instead of the Sub’s LED window)… listed as available will be all the sounds in your CP…

In slot 3 (Sub) place the acoustic piano of your choice…
You can disable the Piano Section and play the acoustic piano through slot #3
You can now use the Attack and Release Knobs on the Acoustic Piano.
By turning the “Release” knob counterclockwise you will make the sound a ‘bit more percussive’.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 18/11/2021 2:59 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hey, that really helps a lot and thank you for your support!

Posted : 18/11/2021 7:54 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us