Notifications
Clear all

Audio interface "layering" question

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Tim
Topic starter

Just a quick question about the audio interface capabilities before I pull the trigger on purchasing a CP88 for church use - I've had a read through the manual and want to check that my assumptions are correct:

Scenario would be CP88 connected to Macbook running Mainstage (or similar) via USB to host connector. MIDI information feeds into Macbook via USB, and audio output from Macbook feeds back into the CP88 via the same USB cable.

I'd be seeking to use the onboard piano sounds and layer pads etc from mainstage underneath all outputting from the CP88 XLR outs.

I see the USB audio level setting in the menu, I'm assuming this level blends with the onboard sound in real time. So a couple of questions:

• Are my above assumptions correct?
  • Does the master volume also control the USB audio level?
  • Is there anyway to "punch" the USB audio interface in and out via the front panel on a button or a knob?
  • Does the USB audio level save when you save to a live set button?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Tim

Posted : 30/06/2019 7:57 am
Bad Mister

Are my above assumptions correct?

Pretty much...

Does the master volume also control the USB audio level?

The master volume controls all volumes traveling from the CP to the Main Outputs; including the independent volumes from the three sections. All sound is fed to the master volume including the separate USB Volume. Yes, it has its own Volume that contributes to the master output.

Is there anyway to "punch" the USB audio interface in and out via the front panel on a button or a knob?

The term “punch”, in quotes, is a curious choice, as the word is used for activating and deactivating RECORD. The CP88 is not a Remote Control Surface for your DAW. If you need to “punch in” or “punch out”, use the DAW for such things. If however you mean can you disconnect the USB connection via a front panel button or knob — you have a separate USB Volume Control.

Does the USB audio level save when you save to a live set button?

No, not to the Live Set. It is stored with the system settings (“Menu” Settings). When using the CP88 as an audio interface the USB audio is independent of the internal Tone Generator. It allows the audio playing back from the computer to continue while you are independently changing programs on the CP88. The USB Volume is separate and remains separate from the CP internal program. This means you can change programs on the CP without interrupting audio coming in from USB.

That said, if the USB audio is coming from a MIDI tone engine (plugin synth) you can assign a ZONE to control that external device. The CP is a 4-Zone Master Keyboard Controller. And setting up to control that plugin Synthesizer via MIDI is available, and that volume setting (for the plugin synth) can be stored in the CP “Live Set”.

I hope you see the difference between the USB VOLUME parameter and the MIDI controllable Volume of a plugin synth that is using the USB to return audio. It’s not just semantics.

Each of the 4 CP Zones could be controlling a different external synth via MIDI... and the Zones can be used via USB and/or via standard 5-pin MIDI, even simultaneously! Both the USB and the standard MIDI Outs can be used at the same time... meaning you can create, store and recall complex split/layer combinations using the internal CP88 and as many as four external devices...

Hope that helps.

Posted : 30/06/2019 4:00 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us