Notifications
Clear all

CP88 keybed compared to CLP380

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello everyone,

I am trying to know if the CP88 will have the same keybed as in the CLP380. I know this is kind of odd as the CLP380 is relatively old but this is what I have access to. From what I’ve read about the CLP380 it seems that it does share the same action with the CP88 but I need to confirm that because honestly this is the selling point for me. And unfortunately I cannot try the keyboard before buying. I will have to order it, which is the case with all of my other keyboards. I’ve never been disappointed so far but this time it’s the keybed that is going to be the deciding factor for buying this keyboard.

Posted : 19/05/2019 5:23 pm
Bad Mister

The CLP380 goes back more than a decade ago and represented the cutting edge at its release. Back then (circa 2008) the 5-way Velocity Switches and synthetic Ivorite Keytops on NW wooden Keys was all the rage...

The same company, Yamaha, continues to improve actions, it’s what they do ... the CP88 features NW (Natural Wood) Keys plus the GH3 action (Graded Hammer triple-sensors). While the GH3 technology is about a decade old, I do not believe the CLP380 had this feature back in 2008 (it might have been reserved for a higher model). The CP88 has both Nw textured black and white Keys plus the triple sensors.

The CLP is furniture at over 200 pounds (as I’m sure you know), the CP88 is designed to go to the gig at 41 pounds... each product is matched to the action used. Part of what makes it a playable instrument goes beyond the physical attributes of the action, it’s how the tone engine responds to that physical action. It is there that the NW GHS3 action of the CP88 shines — how the instrument as a whole responds to the players touch.

Posted : 19/05/2019 6:18 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Bad Mister for the quick reply. Yamaha is always my first choice for everything music! My Yamaha collection is (Genos, MODX6, Reface CP, P-140, P-121 and JU109PE).
What I’m looking for exactly is that soft and crisp feeling that I get when I play my friend’s CLP380. If this is how any Yamaha NW keybed will feel like then I think this answers my question.

Posted : 19/05/2019 7:03 pm
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister.. in my quest to figure out how the CP88 keybed feels like I had the chance to play the CLP-685 & The CLP-675 Clavinovas, they both gad the same details on the display card but the CLP-685 felt a bit heavier and more of a high end product. But definitely this touch makes you play different! I get what you mean now about the whole experience of the CP88 apart from just sounds and samples.
So am I looking at something similar to those Clavinovas in term of the touch and feel of the keybed?

Posted : 12/06/2019 12:16 pm
Bad Mister

What the keyboard is placed on has a profound impact on your reaction to “how it feels”. A 196lb piece of furniture encasing the keyboard is going to give an extremely steady/sturdy feel. (CLP)

A slab piano is at the mercy of what you place it on. This is why some stands are better than others. I’ve found that musicians (keyboard players, in particular) will put little attention into what they use as a stand. While it is understandable to save weight the slab Piano has a reason to exist, but get a stand that is rock solid. A stand that wiggles, even a little, ‘kills’ the entire experience and will influence your evaluation of “how it feels”.

We’ve done all kinds of tests - same action, but different boxes, different stands, and the results are always amazing. Change the stand — musicians opinion of the feel changes, automatically.

If you are going to compare a CLP (furniture included) versus a CP (slab) consider the support system. Know that it influences “feel”.
Gigging? ...the CP is a no-brainer

The new CLPs feature the GrandTouch(tm) action... you can read about it on the Yamaha site... and represents what a piano manufacturer with over 100 years of experience knows about the craft of building the instrument. The innovation of the GrandTouch action is only available in the high-end Yamaha Digital Pianos... these are all in the furniture range (versus the ‘go to the gig’ range).

Posted : 13/06/2019 3:16 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us