Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

CP88 or MODX8

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello everyone.. I’m trying to decide on my next weighted 88. I need a keyboard for rehearsals and writing music with my band in the studio so a more versatile keyboard would be preferable, therefore the MODX8 seems to fit the purpose (I already have an MODX6). But I’m really digging the interface and the keybed of the CP88. My question is, is there a difference in the CFX samples between both or are they the same? Am I going to sacrifice only the keybed if I pass on this board or the sound will also be different?

Posted : 30/05/2019 3:39 pm
Bad Mister

You can’t break it down like that...CP88 and MODX8. These are two distinctly different products. Two distinctly different target customers.

You understand the versatility of the Synthesizer, you recognize the focus of Interface on the CP88. Whether the samples are exactly the same tells you nothing (really). The programming is different... therefore, the results are different. Who knows (or cares) if they are same exact samples, if the programming engine of each is different.

The results are bound to be different. Yamaha makes just about every instrument under the sun (there are a few we don’t make)... but recording the instrument is apart of their development, whether it is a Trombone, or an Acoustic Grand Piano. All manner of data is amassed... while the same sample data might find its way into scores products... it will undoubtedly be configured/treated different specifically for the product it is going into. It might be a configured as a single layer in an entry level portable keyboard, and wind up as a multi-layered, velocity switching version in the top-of-the-line Clavinova. So that’s why I say - no to the question is it the same. Yes but definitely no.

The superior NW (Natural Wood) GHS-3 (Triple Sensor, Graded Hammer Standard) action found in the CP88 makes a huge difference to those looking for the best gigging action available.

If you think Yamaha just takes a few of the sounds out of the synth and puts it in the CP shell, that’s not how it goes down. Not even close... I marvel at the process (even after all these years)... development of each product has a team, goals, and decisions are made based on market research for the target product and the target market.

You have the MODX6... I can definitively say the CFX samples in the MODX6 are exactly the same as the samples in the MODX8. That’s for sure. The CP73 and CP88 is a totally separate project/development. Because user access is not a priority (you are not going to be building a piano up from Waveform selection, Filter selection, Envelopes etc. — that’s what synth folks want.

What one buys the CP88 for is it’s strength as a ready to play Stage Piano. That is it’s focus. If you need a practical way to look at... one is focused to cover a wide variety of sounds, the other is focused on being a piano you take to the gig. The strength of the Synthesizer is the ability to customize much of everything about the sound... the strength of the Stage Piano is is it’s ability to be the best piano sound with a focus on real-time control.

It should never be that difficult to choose which of these two to buy. While not the same choice is right for every person, each person’s needs will dictate which one is right for their situation.

Posted : 30/05/2019 7:57 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us