Notifications
Clear all

CP88 Purchase Dilema...

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Ken
Topic starter

I'm having a tough decision on weather or not to purchase the CP88 and would appreciate discussion and all input anyone may have to offer. I've owned a Roland RD-2000, a Yamaha U3 and my daughter owns a Kawai MP7. I ended up selling the RD-2000 because it was huge, I couldn't stand the screen and I found the zone/effects selector/knobs non-intuitive and not a whole lot of fun to adjust. I also found the entire keyboard ugly. I did however like the feel of the keybed and the samples including my favorite triple mix of the Concert Grand, Wide Soft Pad, and the SA EP. I just didn't love it ...

I need to find a replacement. There is something about the CP88 that I love. Part of my attraction to the CP88 is that many other offerings include menu systems on ugly screens, or touch screen UI's (which I absolutely hate). Don't get me wrong, I love my iPad but hate touch-screen DPs. Another attractive option is the Nord Stage 3 because of the same reasons but I'm unwilling to pay 4K+ for the 88 key model.

I have a few large concerns that are holding me back from pulling the trigger on the CP88. The lack of samples and unfortunately the sound itself. In video demonstrations and comparisons, the piano sounds are nice themselves but also seem thin and lack body to me. Almost as if they need enhancement or some kind of 3D sound filter. I'm not a fan of the organ so the lack of draw-bars, etc. are not of concern to me.

IMO, the CP88 is the best looking DP I've ever seen. The size, weight and interface are exactly what I want. That's why I'm struggling with the pros and cons of this major purchase. What I really want is a CP88 with additional samples, the ability to add my own samples and perhaps some kind of 3D filter, wide Stereo or other type of sample enhancement. I've read that an update including additional samples may be coming in September, but will it be simply an additional Piano? Or perhaps more? The features of the update seem to be unknown.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Posted : 19/06/2019 4:54 am
Bad Mister

You clearly know what you don’t want. You’ll have to wait to see what features/sounds are added to the CP73/CP88 come September. The update specifics are unannounced at this time. I recommend you wait until then, then you can decide what you clearly like or don’t like, then you can make your purchase based on what you hate the least.

The CP will not have the ability for the user to add their own samples (that is not a fundamental part of the product design)... additions to the Wave ROM are done, by Yamaha, via the firmware update. Since the release, earlier this year, Yamaha has been doing after-market research concerning what sounds (sample sets) and features should be added to the product. That evaluation is still on-going. At the time of release back at the January NAMM show, the firmware update (September 2019) was announced. If any additional announcement about what will be included in that firmware update is made, you will hear about it here on YamahaSynth.com

I would try to concentrate on the things I like in an instrument rather than the ‘glass is half-empty’ approach. Focus on the items you like, it makes purchasing something more enjoyable, in my opinion. Thanks for your interest in the CP88. Check back here (YamahaSynth.com) often.

Posted : 19/06/2019 12:18 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'd advise if you decide to purchase - buy from a store with a liberal return policy. Just in case there's something you find out something that's not going to work for you. Try to do your best before purchase - but there's only so much you can get into.

Posted : 19/06/2019 5:23 pm
 Ken
Topic starter

I'd advise if you decide to purchase - buy from a store with a liberal return policy. Just in case there's something you find out something that's not going to work for you. Try to do your best before purchase - but there's only so much you can get into.

Hi Jason, that's great advice. I recently found this video that sold me on the CP88. It's in Japanese but has subtitles. Thanks again.

Posted : 19/06/2019 10:16 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Ujiie is great. He's demonstrated just about every Yamaha keyboard at least twice and probably "sold" countless. Although a "fanboy" - he has been critical when there's something glaring.

Posted : 19/06/2019 10:53 pm
 Ken
Topic starter

That's true, he did mention the fact that the toggle switches that engage the engines may be a poor design due to accidental triggering while playing. I know the panel can be locked out, but it is still something to consider. Now to "patiently" wait for the CP88 to arrive. 😉

Posted : 20/06/2019 6:56 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I guess I didn't see that part - didn't watch every second. But he also mentioned they were not the best for quickly using to turn on/off a sound and recommended using a foot pedal for this instead. So loosely the inverse issue - with an easy fix (better tool for the job).

I don't see these switches in the landing zone of my hands. Liberace may have had an issue.

Posted : 20/06/2019 8:26 pm
Bad Mister

Each player will design their own workflow on the instrument. The “Live Set” feature allows you to capture the front panel settings, offering players an entirely different way to recall your configurations. Those who like to work manually can do so, but because there are so many possible combinations of instruments, Effects, and settings, the 120 Live Set programs make working with the CP a matter of preference... finding how *you* like to work.

Posted : 21/06/2019 12:13 am

Ken,
Some questions off topic.
Since you had RD and Kawai.
How would you compare the keybeds of these two?
I am familiar with Roland but did not have a chance to try MP.
What would be the major pros and cons of each?
thanks

Posted : 21/06/2019 6:13 pm
 Ken
Topic starter

Ken,
Some questions off topic.
Since you had RD and Kawai.
How would you compare the keybeds of these two?
I am familiar with Roland but did not have a chance to try MP.
What would be the major pros and cons of each?
thanks

Personally I liked both actions and felt they were quite similar. I have the MP7 behind me but no longer have the RD-2000 so I'll have to go on memory. The MP7 keybed felt better to me and seemed to be of higher quality. It was quieter, responded faster (trill etc...) but also had less key travel. The MP7 also seemed easier to play deep within the keybed. I still enjoyed the RD-2000 almost as much, and felt the samples were far superior to the MP7. Also the RD-2000 developed a horrible knocking sound upon key release (see attached video link). I don't know if this is common to the RD-2000 or I just had a faulty unit.

Posted : 21/06/2019 10:25 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

... speaking of Kawai, there's the Nord Grand with the Kawai keybed.

Posted : 22/06/2019 1:30 am

Hi Ken,
Please see my long winded review that I just posted. Hopefully it will resonate with you in making your decision.
Cheers from Ontario, Canada!
Darrin

Posted : 24/06/2019 1:23 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us