Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How control zones on Master Keyboard Mode?

14 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi guys.

There are a way to use the standard Knobs and Buttons (For ex: Volume or Tone on EP Mode), to control the Zones?

In a simple words ..... I have a LIVE SET (MST and ADV activate) with just PIANO SW = ON, and two ZONEs sending message to my Roland Integra-7 (Midi Channel 2 and 3).
So, I'm trying to control the volume on my "External Module" using the CP73. Is it possible?

Thanks

Posted : 11/04/2020 5:39 pm
Bad Mister

Within the “Settings” area of your LIVE SET activate “Master Keyboard” and activate the “Advanced Zone Sw“
This gives you access to the settings per Zone. Among them is “Volume” — this will allow you send a Volume setting for each Zone. You can create the precise balance you require for each of the external Channels you are controlling (relative to the internal Part).

You also have an option (Tx Switch Volume) that determines whether the Zone will respond to Volume change sent from the CP via a controller set to control output level

You can use a Foot Controller to send real-time Volume changes to those Zones set to respond to them.

See pages 33-35 of the Owner’s Manual

Posted : 12/04/2020 1:01 am
Topic starter

Thanks BM.

So, I have success to do this procedure, where I'm using FC1 Assing to control - 115 (USB Audio Volume), or 07 (All Volume).
But, I'm not find the correct CC to control the volume just the ZONE 1....What I'm doing wrong?

I have a LIVE SET with this configuration:
Master Keyboard: Mode SW = ON
Master Keyboard: Advanced zone = ON
Master Keyboard: Zone Settings : Zone 1 = ON
Master Keyboard: Zone Settings : Zone 1 Tx SW FC1 = ON

Posted : 12/04/2020 2:22 pm

Hi Rubens.
Don´t forget to match the Tx channel for the zones you use. It must be the same in both the CP73´s sending zone and the Integra 7´s receiving part.
Best regards// Stefan.

Posted : 12/04/2020 4:48 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Stefan ... I did this .... everthing is fine.
I'm just like to control volume for external zone in real time ....

Posted : 12/04/2020 10:38 pm

Everything looks correct in your CP. Dubbel check that the Tx SW Volume is ON in the Zone. Please check in your Integra in the MIDI tab. There is a parameter VO (RX volume). It must be set to ON for receiving volume changes for the different channels. (Page 10 in the Integra 7 Parameter Guide).

Posted : 13/04/2020 7:54 am
Topic starter

My problem is focus on "setup controler" on CP73.

I can't setup on controler like FC1 or Modulation to send a Volume CC just to ZONE1.
Are not a CC comand to that ....

Posted : 13/04/2020 4:37 pm
Bad Mister

You can determine what gets Transmitted to each Zone, by setting the “Tx Sw” (Transmit Switches) for that Zone. Say you have two external Zones setup, Zone 1 and Zone 2.
If you want to control only the Volume of Zone 1, you set the “Tx Sw Volume” = On in Zone 1 and the “Tw Sw Volume” = Off in Zone 2

*Volume* is dedicated Control... It, therefore, has its own Transmit On/Off Switch.

And although FC1 can be set to control Volume (cc7 or cc11), it can be set to send many other things, as well, other than Volume. If you want to prevent FC1 from sending Volume you must use the dedicated “Tx Sw Volume” = Off, NOT “Tx Sw FC1”

If you set FC1 to send something other than Volume (cc7, cc11) and you wish to turn it Off that is when “Tx Sw FC1” is used. For example, say you were using a FC to send cc1 Modulation Wheel... and you only wanted one of the Zones to respond, that is when you would use “Tx Sw FC” option.

Posted : 13/04/2020 6:38 pm

Dear experts.
I have a follow up question regarding Yamaha CP88 and Integra-7.
I am running my live rig via a Radial KL-8 mixer to the house. I have 5 stereo synth inputs all in use, and I would like to add Integra-7 (but have no free inputs in the mixer. CP88 is my main keyboard. Is it possible to use a USB cable between CP88 and Integra-7 - so to say Integra-7 functioning as an external sound device, if you also connect a basic midi cable. That could Make the Integra-7 sounds go out via the CP88 jacks to mixer, and make room for the module without buying another expensive mixer ?
Thank you for all the very interesting inputs and answers on this site.

Posted : 14/09/2021 8:26 am
Bad Mister

USB or MIDI cables will not work for audio transfer between these keyboards

You should connect the output of the Roland synth to the L/R Inputs of the CP88 with (2) standard 1/4” signal cables. See page 19 of your CP88 Owner’s Manual:

INPUT [L/MONO]/[R] jacks/[GAIN] knob
These jacks allow you to connect an external audio devices and mix the output of that device with that of this instrument. Use the [GAIN] knob to adjust the volume balance with this instrument.

If you want to control the external from the CP88 Keyboard use a MIDI connection, but the external synth’s audio out must be sent to the CP88 Inputs… it will then share the mixer input with the CP88.

Posted : 15/09/2021 11:24 am

Thank you again for the kind support. I am having trouble with the key transpose function via MIDI. I am not a super-pro keyboard player, and we have 3 different singers in our copy band. Constantly changing keys. I must therefore use the transpose key frequently even though you pro's find that terrible. I wish that my Integra-7 would follow the key transpoose settings in my wonderful CP88 without using program changes. I control the volume of Intergra 7 via a foot pedal, I have turned off the program change MIDI settings, but would like to send key transpose settings, just to follow the different CP live sets.
Is that possible ?

Posted : 13/10/2021 9:20 am
Bad Mister

Thank you again for the kind support. I am having trouble with the key transpose function via MIDI. I am not a super-pro keyboard player, and we have 3 different singers in our copy band. Constantly changing keys. I must therefore use the transpose key frequently even though you pro's find that terrible. I wish that my Integra-7 would follow the key transpoose settings in my wonderful CP88 without using program changes. I control the volume of Intergra 7 via a foot pedal, I have turned off the program change MIDI settings, but would like to send key transpose settings, just to follow the different CP live sets.
Is that possible ?

Let’s review the various Transpose options (you can eliminate the ones that will not work for you). Or, as you’ll see, you can use both to accomplish your goal.

SOUND TRANSPOSE
On the CP front panel you have a dedicated button for

Pressing this button takes you to the “SOUND TRANSPOSE” function
This only affects the CP (local) Tone Generator and has absolutely no affect on what goes Out via MIDI.
You can [STORE] a different Sound Transpose for each Live Set Sound location
— but remember this only affects the CP, it does not change what goes Out via MIDI

MASTER KEYBOARD — ZONE
Each Live Set Sound location can have up to four Zones. This is how you can intelligently control what gets transmitted Out via MIDI from each Live Set Sound memory slot. For this answer we will activate and setup “Zone 1” for your external synth.
Call up the Live Set Sound you would like to work with.
Press [SETTINGS]
Select “Master Keyboard”
Turn the “Mode Sw” = On
Set the “Advanced Zone Sw” = On
Select “Zone Settings” > “Zone 1”
Under Zone 1:
“Zone Switch” = On
“Tx Channel” (transmit channel) = select the channel you wish to communicate with your external synth
“Octave Shift” = as you desire
“Transpose” = semitones +/- as you desire
Continue down the list of settings - changing those you wish to use.

The Transpose here only affects the external synth.
If, additionally, you want the internal sound to match the Transpose going Out from the Master Keyboard function, use the SOUND TRANSPOSE — remember it only affects the local (internal) Tone Generator — and can be stored to a different value per CP Live Set Sound location.

Press [STORE]
You can overwrite the currently active location or (better) name and store it so that you know exactly what it’s set to do to a blank location.

As I understand you have Program Change off - (although I’m not sure on which device)… I’m assuming that the external synth is to remain on the same sound. If this is the case, you could turn its Program Change Receive switch to Off or you could simply have these new Live Set Sound locations recall the same (or any) external Program.

But each of your CP Live Set Sounds can have a unique setting for Master Keyboard Transpose… and whatever Program Change you wish to send. And each can be set to a different internal Transpose.

Summary: You can use the Master Keyboard feature to Transpose what goes Out via MIDI; Transposing the internal CP engine is handled separately and can be set independent of what goes out via MIDI. This makes it extremely flexible.

Hope that helps. Let us know.

Posted : 13/10/2021 7:29 pm

Once again thank you very much for your help. My CP works fine now. I am controlling the key transpose as you described now and returning the output from the Integra 7 to the input on the CP88. I can adjust the level between the CP88 sound and integra 7 using the gain knob as described.
However, I would like to control the volume of the Integra 7 in expression pedal 2 and the internal CP sounds using expression pedal 1. I can manage to control the USB input from external sound source, but cannot figure out how to control the volume of the jack inputs. I tried to turn the gain knob in assign mode, but it does not react as when you turn all other knobs.
Thank you again. Your expert answers makes it much better for us non experts to play the CP88

Posted : 02/11/2021 8:29 pm
Bad Mister

Once again thank you very much for your help. My CP works fine now. I am controlling the key transpose as you described now and returning the output from the Integra 7 to the input on the CP88. I can adjust the level between the CP88 sound and integra 7 using the gain knob as described.

You’re quite welcome.

However, I would like to control the volume of the Integra 7 in expression pedal 2 and the internal CP sounds using expression pedal 1.

When you are making your Zone Settings, near the very bottom of the list of Zone 1, for example, you will find the “Tx SW FC1” and “Tx SW FC2” for Zone 1.

Transmit Switch can be defeated for FC1 - it will only apply to the internal CP sounds,
Transmit Switch can be activated for FC2 - it will apply to the external zone.

You can determine what CC# each pedal is set to send:
[SETTINGS] button → “Controllers” → “FC1 Assign”/ “FC2 Assign.”

Thank you again. Your expert answers makes it much better for us non experts to play the CP88

Again, you’re very welcome

Posted : 04/11/2021 2:35 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us