Notifications
Clear all

Introducing the Yamaha CP88 and CP73 Stage Pianos

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
Bad Mister

Hi,
the only thing holding me back from buying a CP88 is the single split point for internal sounds. What if (using Advanced Mode) I want to play an internal bass patch with my left hand, the CFX with my right and have part of the right hand key split also trigger the Sub Section NiceBells? Had a dig around on a CP88 at my local music store with a sales engineer. Couldn't find a way of assigning lower and/or upper key limits for an individual Section. Was there a menu I missed? The Advanced Settings menu only manipulates MIDI Zones as far as I can tell. Will this be fixed in future OS upgrades? (The store keyboard had the base OS 10.0) A single split point for internal sounds just isn't good enough.

Then the CP is not for you. You would need an external device for your third region.
The upper and lower designations in the CP are easy enough to understand. A CP sound from the Piano, EPiano, and Sub sections can play 1) all across the Keyboard, 2) just on the left side, or 3) just on the right side of the Split Point.

The four Master Keyboard Zones that go Out via MIDI are completely independent of the internal tone engine.
Both the USB and 5-pin MIDI are available simultaneously. You can simultaneously be controlling a soft-synth on a computer/tablet/laptop while simultaneously controlling a hardware synth Out via standard MIDI.
In your example, the third sound can be from an external source via USB and/or via MIDI... and it can be regioned anywhere you’d like.

Perhaps you should look at a MONTAGE or MODX if you require more regions internally. They feature 8 internal regions.
Hope that helps.

Posted : 19/04/2019 1:10 pm
 Eddy

Hi and thanks very much for your quick response! Greatly appreciated. As an MOXF8 owner and frequent Roland RD-2000 user, I get your point regarding regions. I realize other models with more of a workstation focus have that type of ability. I was just hoping this might be the ultimate jack-of-all-trades... Pretty certain I shall buy the CP88 anyway, as I love the user interface.

Posted : 19/04/2019 1:48 pm
 Gary

I purchased the CP 88 and I am loving everything about it. I want to update the CP88 with the new version 1.10. I downloaded the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver. I need to know how to now get the update to my CP88. Much appreciation

Posted : 21/04/2019 5:11 pm
Bad Mister

The Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver is totally separate from the CP88 Firmware update.
The Driver allows your computer to communicate with the CP for both MIDI and Audio. Useful for working with DAW software like Cubase

The “Operating System Updater” is a separate download (includes instructions). You unzip the download on your computer, copy the .PGM file to the root directory of a USB stick you use with your CP88. Read the included instruction file twice. The first time so you know what you need to do. The second time as you execute it...

Insert the USB stick in the “TO DEVICE” port of the CP, and power On the instrument while holding down the buttons as in the instructions... follow instructions in the screen

The update will proceed and tell you when Completed, to Re-boot.

Posted : 21/04/2019 8:04 pm

Hello. I recently got a chance to try the Yamaha CP88 at a Yamaha music store in London... from a blind musician's point of view, I love it! It took me about five to ten minutes to learn the entire interface. I love how easy it is to navigate around the instrument. The keyboard feels exactly like my Yamaha C3 grand piano. I also love all the sounds of this keyboard.

Thank you so much Yamaha for making an amazing stage piano that everyone can use... no matter what disability he or she has.

If you want to know more about me, you can visit my website at:
www.matthewwhitaker.net

Thank you so much!

Posted : 20/11/2019 1:59 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us