Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

New MIDI/control features request

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I love my CP88, but I'd like it to have a few new features.

Here they are.

1. the ability to set Local Off for each section: it would be nice to disable local control in any section using the split buttons (both leds off = local off)
2. the ability to set a MIDI Rx channel for each section: a very useful change into the MIDI Rx settings menu

🙂

Posted : 05/10/2019 6:53 pm
Bad Mister

I love my CP88, but I'd like it to have a few new features.

Here they are.

1. the ability to set Local Off for each section: it would be nice to disable local control in any section using the split buttons (both leds off = local off)
2. the ability to set a MIDI Rx channel for each section: a very useful change into the MIDI Rx settings menu

🙂

Perhaps we can help you understand what’s already on board the CP88/73 and perhaps you’ll see how your first request may already be implemented. We may also be able to explain how the CP works so that you can accomplish what you are attempting.

“Local Control” is a function of the Keyboard (the physical Keys and Controllers), the CP’s Sections are a function of the Tone Generator. Local Control is a function of the Keyboard transmitting, not the Tone Generator, which only receives, never transmits. Therefore, there is no such thing as Local Off per Section. If you wish to not transmit from a region of keys you can handle that with other parameters.

Instead the CP88/CP73 have a built-in Master Keyboard Function that allows you to design, on a per program basis, how the instrument transmits Out via MIDI. You have four independent regions, called “Zones”, that you can configure to communicate with the outside world. You can have them match the internal (split) setup, but the thing is they do not have to, they are totally independent of what you are doing with the CP’s internal Tone Generator!

This provides the most flexibility when using the the CP on stage. Each Live Set program can contain a custom Zone configuration as suits the needs of the performer. Once you activate the Master Keyboard Zone function, found under “Settings”, you will be able to configure as many as four separate Zones per Live Set program.

You can customize not only the Note Range, Transmit MIDI Channel, BankSelect/Program Change, Transpose, Volume, Pan position for each Zone, but which controllers are transmitted via each of the Zones.

Please see the Owner’s Manual page 33 “Master Keyboard”.

Posted : 06/10/2019 9:44 am
Topic starter

Bad Mister,

I want to control the CP88 sounds with an external keyboard, for example, the sound of just one section (let's say the Sub section).

So, if I can't choose the section MIDI channel, I cannot do this. Also, it needs to let me disable Local control for just that section.

Perhaps now you can understand my request.

Thanks.

Posted : 06/10/2019 4:33 pm
Bad Mister

I understood your request. Did you understand my answer?
You want the CP to be a multi-timbral/multi-MIDI-Channel Tone Engine via MIDI, it is not.
You can certainly control the CP via MIDI and you can control any of its sounds, you can certainly play just the Sub section from the external controller... and typically, you set the Note Limit region in the transmitting Controller (not in the receiving Tone Generator).
What you don’t actually say is — what you want to do additionally at the same time. It’s not that you can’t do what you request, because I think if you’ve tried it you know it, but what is it you want to do at the same time?

The CP is not a multi-channel device on reception... we understood your question, even the stuff you didn’t mention.

Posted : 06/10/2019 5:03 pm
Topic starter

I understood your request. Did you understand my answer?
You want the CP to be a multi-timbral Tone Engine via MIDI, it is not.
You can certainly control the CP via MIDI and you can control any of its sounds, you can certainly play just the Sub section from the external controller... what you don’t actually say is — what you want to do additionally at the same time. It’s not that you can’t do what you request, because I think if you’ve tried it you know it, but what is it you want to do at the same time?

The CP is not a multi-channel device on reception... we understood your question, even the stuff you didn’t mention.

Yes, it's just what I was trying to say, it is not multitimbral via MIDI. And that's disappointing to me.

I find it not flexible for live performance, this way. Maybe other people are happy with it, but not me, sorry.

And: there's no other stuff I didn't mention.

Posted : 06/10/2019 5:15 pm
Bad Mister

You can play the Sub section from an external controller... try it!

Posted : 08/10/2019 12:38 pm
Topic starter

You can play the Sub section from an external controller... try it!

And play a Piano and/or E.Piano on the CP88 keyboard at the same time?

Maybe I did not understand how.

Posted : 08/10/2019 2:19 pm
Bad Mister

And: there's no other stuff I didn't mention.

In your original post you do not mention, “And play a Piano and/or E.Piano on the CP88 keyboard at the same time?”

Posted : 08/10/2019 2:38 pm
Topic starter

Ok, sorry.

So, is it possible?

Posted : 08/10/2019 2:45 pm
Bad Mister

Posted : 08/10/2019 3:05 pm

Is there any chance this could get added through a firmware update?
It would be awesome to hook up another midi keyboard and let it control a different sections than the main keyboard controls. I could just get a cheap midi keyboard and still get the awesome sounds from the CP88's tone generator.

Posted : 07/04/2020 4:25 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us