Notifications
Clear all

Nu Hybrid EP For CP88 & CP73

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi:

Are you agree to ask Yamaha to add this sound to CP??? Nu Hybrid EP.
This sound in Montage is killer and we need on future CP update.

Posted : 08/04/2019 5:16 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

There's a more limited set of sounds in the CP88/73 - but isn't there a combination of EP+FM+Synth that approximates it? I know 2/3 of the components of Nu Hybrid EP are certainly there (EP and FM piano). If there's a close enough synth sound - I don't know. On Montage A.SW2 turns on the synth sound. Unless you press that button, you're just hearing EP+FM (no synth). The A.SW2 can be emulated in CP88/73 by tapping the silver on/off switch for the section with the synth.

And I assume you're looking for Nu Hybrid EP with the superknob fixed in one position.

Posted : 17/04/2019 7:29 am
Topic starter

Thanks J for the response. Please could you help me in other question?. In few dates Im going to buy a CO but I cant decide which one (73 or 88). Im not a classic piano player. My only concern with the 73 is if that type of key affect the acoustic piano sound. Thanks for you help?.

Posted : 18/04/2019 1:27 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I can't help you decide on 73 or 88 any more than I can plan your meals for the next few days. I see you're concerned about the acoustic piano sound and you mention not being "a classic piano player." I assume this means you focus on something other than classical music - although I don't know - could try to infer not "classically trained". At any rate - it's not enough to go on. You have to decide. The sound is not altered by the keyboard type. This is a difference in feel primarily.

The CP88 has a triple sensor - which, in practical terms, means you can articulate repetitive notes without having the key travel has far back to resting position. The CP73 doesn't have this, so the key has to travel further back before you can articulate a repeated note on the same key. This may or may not be something that matters to you.

The CP73 borrows its keybed tech from a lineage of keyboards that has the CP73's type as the "best of best" flagship weighted keybed. The folks playing that instrument have not complained about sluggish response for repeated notes. I, myself, test for repeated notes and notice this keybed type is better for repeated notes than competitor's non-triple-sensor keyboards. It's better tuned to offer less of a compromise vs. a triple-sensor design vs. the competition.

Other than that, the two keyboards offer the exact same features where the differences are less tangible. The mass of the keys or how wood reacts vs. full synthetic keys - and your relation to this - is a personal thing. Many times the differences in mass/feel can be compensated by the velocity curves on the keyboard's configuration. It's very subjective.

For me (and this doesn't have to match you) - I have different factors which would decide which to buy. I'd decide if I need 88 to cover my material or if 73 is sufficient. Since advanced split/zoning is not what this keyboard does - I would benefit less from more keys than other types of keyboards. 73 would cover what I would use it for. And then I would decide if the extra weight is something I want to take on. If I decided the 88 was preferred, I may try renting an 88 for a while (a month) and see how it carries. It may be too much bulk even if I'd prefer it - so I may decide ultimately to move to the 73. Currently I carry 37lbs and it's almost too heavy. The 88 is >37lbs. I tend to have enough space for either - but that may be a consideration (footprint/size). I do well with the "downgraded" sensor configuration - so triple sensor would not be important for me.

Posted : 22/04/2019 10:20 am
Ron
 Ron

I purchased the CP73 because I wanted a more portable, weighted-action keyboard option with premium pianos & Rhodes, rather than gigging with my Montage 8.
I have watched and read numerous reviews of the CP73 describing the keybed action as "similar" to the Montage 8, although I must say that after spending much
time with both the CP73 and Montage 8 setup next to each other... the CP73's keybed has a much less "premium" feel compared to the Montage 8... in my opinion it has a more sluggish action and much more "plasticky" feel in comparison.. leaving me to feel let down with the keybed's quality... quite different than the Montage 8 keybed. I experimented with different velocity curves but it still doesn't address the tactile feel of the keybed itself. I understand it was Yamaha's aim to design the CP73 with portability and lightweight to the gigging musician (which I am...); although I do wish (or would make the suggestion/feedback) that I would prefer/have preferred a much more "pro" and premium keybed action similar to the CP88's wooden keybed... and I wouldn't have minded the extra overall weight to the keyboard for this compromise. Right now the difference in overall weight between the CP73 & CP88 is around 12 lbs (CP88 = 41 lb, 0 oz vs. CP73=28 lb, 14 oz). For me, I would be willing to sacrifice add'l pounds for the ability to have that premium tactile connection between a premium quality keybed along with the premium quality sounds of pianos... after all it is marketed as a "Stage Piano". I have also experienced a velocity issue on occasion on the black notes when a black note is played repeatedly in succession (when other notes are played and held down in a chord) that the velocity level cuts down even when repeatedly played at a stronger velocity. I tested this also by MIDI'ing my Montage 8 to control the CP and don't get this velocity issue when played via the Montage. I may end up returning the CP73 for the CP88 just for the keybed difference, and I would have to just deal with the much larger 88 note footprint in terms of stage space and car space. I would have been "happy" with the CP73's keybed if it was "identical" to the balanced hammer action keybed as the Montage 8... but it is not identical... just barely "similar". Again... this feedback is more geared towards Yamaha R & D's " ears"coming from a gigging musician for what it's worth...

Posted : 22/04/2019 6:22 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the feedback. The stores here haven't stocked the CP88/73 yet - so I can only go by claims. I'll have to check out the keybed and see. I wonder if that aftertouch mechanism on the Montage helps give the keys a different feel at the end of the travel - or if there are more differences at play here (i.e. not so borrowed of a keybed - but a new "ground"-ish "up"-ish one). I would hope it's just aftertouch making the difference here -- if your experience is universal to anyone comparing the Montage 8 and CP73 -- as I wouldn't want the CP73 to foreshadow the future follow-on to Montage.

... I can hear someone interjecting about shoes here.

Posted : 26/04/2019 6:43 am
 mjc

I have a CP73 and opened it up and it's a Hammer Standard action, similar to the GHS action (which Yamaha by their own words themselves has called 'officially an entry level action'), but in this case it's balanced rather than graded.

It's an unfortunate design decision for a stage piano in the price range the CP73 is in, and even from a portability perspective I would have accepted a few pounds more weight myself to get the actual balance hammer action (effect) (BHE), with or without the aftertouch, featured in the montage, S90/S70 etc etc.

From a portability perspective, dimensions are often more relevant than a few pounds more or less. Yamaha needs to release more 73key hammered (balanced or graded) pianos with proper actions. Currenty we only have the P121 and the CP73 (and the S70 but it's heavy and wide due to mod/ pithchwheels).. Most players, even piano players, are hardly ever going to use 88 notes. I really dont understand Yamaha's thinking here.

I mean the BHS is decent but not in the same league as the action mentioned above and a bit more prone to wear and tear and in particular dust, and relies more on the PTFE lubricant that has been generously applied, so expect some maintenance to be done every once in a while (if you are a frequent player I'd say bring it to a proper dealer who can 'fix it back to new' and re-lube it) every one or two years.

Posted : 28/04/2019 11:30 am

I have had my CP73 a week; still have a CP50 and traded a CP40. I worried a lot about the action, and the 73 is taking a bit to get used to - but i will certainly keep it. I love the lighter weight, but it doesnt feel as rich as my 88s. That said, it is still far better (to me) than the Roland DS88 and maybe even the yamaha MX88.

Years ago I had the MM8 - this is probably very similar.

Posted : 29/05/2019 6:13 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us