Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

The Proper Transpose Setting for Live

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

For our live gigs we tune down a ½ step. I play with 3 external hardware keys and 1 external module. My external keys are the CP73, MODx7 and Nord Stage 3 Compact. For the ModX and Nord I set the keyboard to -1 semi-tone down (½ step) and they will remain at the new tuning for the entire night until I change them back to 0. (though the ModX will default back to 0 if I power it off). I control patch changes on each song through my iPad.

Last night, which was the 1st time live with the CP73, I would use the Transpose button and set it to the 1 semi-tone down. Now for some reason, I was having 2 SNAFUs last night. 1) Though all my keys should be tuned to the same pitch ½ step down, when I played the CP (which was triggering the ModX and/or the external module) it was playing in different keys rather than in unison (In other words, if I played a C Chord on the CP, it was playing C# on the slaves). Also, then when I changed patches/songs, the master transpose on the CP went back to 0 rather than remaining ½ semi tone down. Obviously I wasn't doing something right or the settings are different than on the ModX which gets me exactly what I want with a Shift Transpose "-". (We ended up just playing the night in std. tuning to resolve the problem). I know there's a proper way to do this. Please advise

Michael

Posted : 26/04/2019 12:17 pm
 Ken

I was about to post a similar question when I saw your post this morning. It appears the new CP73/88 is only transposing the sound and not sending the transposed midi notes to external devices. Whether I use the transpose button or make the change via the menu I get the same result. I bought the CP88 to replace my CP4 and expected it to operate the same. My CP4, Montage and MODx all transmit transposed Midi notes when I shift the keyboard. I believe the Montage and MODx have two different transpose methods; one shifts the midi notes, the other doesn't. I'm using the CP for my restaurant gigs and need it to send the midi transposed notes to my Voice Live 3 for harmonies. Hopefully Bad Mister can shed some light on how to handle this on the CP 73/88.

Posted : 26/04/2019 4:05 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Michael and Ken...

Thanks for the questions. I’m sitting on an airplane now at 34,000 feet, but perhaps I can shed a little light on this, from memory... and then I can fill in any gaps later after I get to my studio. The possibilities have been expanded since any previous CP... by design. I have not tried every configuration quite yet... but I’ll tell you what I remember...

On the CP73/CP88 you can set Transpose for what goes Out via MIDI separately from what you play internally because these are separate parameters.

The initial condition of the CP is MIDI CONTROL is Off. Once activated, you can then start to configure how the instrument's Knobs and Switches will be output the outside world.

Turning MIDI Control On and what this means
If you go to [MENU] (where you find global settings) you’ll find the MIDI CONTROL option.
Set this to On if you plan on connecting to an external device via MIDI (transmitting/receiving)
There are three settings, (Off, On, Invert) for now just set MIDI CONTROL = On

(The primary functionality here is so that all lighted Knobs and button functions of the CP front panel can be documented and played back to the CP when using a DAW or external MIDI recorder to record a CP performance).

Sound Transpose
When you press the

button on the CP73/CP88 front panel, as you have noticed, this affects the internal tone engine just as you would expect. It does not necessarily affect what is sent Out via MIDI. See page 33 of the Owner’s Manual for details on Sound Transpose. “Sound Transpose” is a storable setting on a per program (Live Set) basis.
What goes Out via MIDI can be determined by the Master Keyboard Function... on a per Zone basis. The CP’s feature 4 Zones for controlling external devices...
You can also use MENU > Keyboard/Pedal to set the Transpose to both the internal and external device (in one button press)

Using Master Keyboard for transmitting Out
The CP73 and CP88 have a 4-Zone “Master Keyboard” Function. These four Zones are available when activated and they can be activated individually. They will determine how the CP transmits Out via MIDI and can be stored on a per program basis. Once the “Master Keyboard” > “Mode Sw “= On, only the settings you make within the Zone area will apply.... thus overriding any other transmit settings.

What goes Out via MIDI, is separate from what you are doing internally. The 4-Zone are strictly for external device control... i.e., you do not use a Zone to speak to the CP internal engine. What this means is you could be playing a CP acoustic piano across all keys internally, while you’ve configured four separate zones going Out via MIDI. This is very flexible... You could be playing a split internally and it would have no impact on what you setup to go Out via MIDI.

The CP’s are also capable of controlling plug-in synths via USB (on a tablet/computer) and simultaneously controlling hardware devices Out via the 5-pin MIDI jacks. This allows you to setup/control complex combinations of internal and external sounds. You could be playing a synth bass plugin on the computer in your left hand, a CFX Grand Piano from the CP in your right, layered with an external hardware synth Out via (5-pin) MIDI...

Transpose functions
Among the basic Settings found in each of the “Master Keyboard” Zones, is a Transpose; each Zone can, individually, be set as necessary. And this can be configured and stored per Live Set! This makes it possible to Transpose each controlled device as necessary. (See Page 34)

Michael, You want the CP to control the MODX... because it is an external device you can control it by using a Master Keyboard Zone.
Set Master Keyboard function On, and then proceed to setup Zone 1 to control the MODX... included in the settings is the Transpose for this Zone. There are two sets of Zone Settings ...among the basic parameters are both Octave and semitones Transpose; (the Advanced settings allow Bank Select/PGM Change, Pan, Volume, Controller Transmit Switches, etc).

Or...
It is possible to just use the fact that you are transmitting via MIDI to send OCT and TRANSPOSE to both internal and external devices. This is found under MENU (where global settings live) > KEYBOARD/PEDAL. The Octave and semitone Transpose found here will effect both internal and external devices together.

There maybe some shortcuts that I’m not recalling (the air is thin up here)... you’ll have to wait until I get on the ground... there maybe other possibilities to configure this that will simplify it for your use case. But from what I described above you can see that the CP has some very flexible setup possibilities. The MIDI CONTROL = Invert — allows you to use the Knobs and Switches of an unused panel section as additional external controllers...

That should get you both started... “Sound Transpose” is “local” to the CP itself, the MENU > KEYBOARD/PEDAL will globally Transpose (int and ext); while the Master Keyboard’s Zone Transpose is for what gets transmitted Out via MIDI in great detail.

Hope that gets you started...

Posted : 26/04/2019 5:54 pm
Topic starter

If there is a way I can set it with one button like on the ModX would be appreciated; cause I would hate to have to program a transpose to every song and save it. (Sometimes when I cover for other bands; I play everything in standard tuning so I don't want multiple versions of patches).

I'm currently using iMidiPatchBay to transmit patch changes to my keyboards and I have it designating different master keyboards; Sometimes I have the CP trigger everything; sometimes the ModX, sometimes the Nord; etc.

And then there are some songs that I set to standard tuning mainly due to some of the ModX samples and mapping I use. I just want to be able to set the master to ½ step down and that it stay that way until I need to change it back.

thanks and have a safe flight.

Michael

Posted : 26/04/2019 7:01 pm
Bad Mister

Yes, there is - I'm back on the ground and as soon as I pressed the front panel buttons I was reminded that there is indeed a simple method to just simply transmit the Octave and semitone Transpose.

It is found under MENU (global settings)... > GENERAL > select KEYBOARD/PEDAL.... Here you will find the "Octave" and "Transpose" that will serve your needs with one button... and it will be global.

The deeper level (Master Keyboard) of preparation exist, if and when you need it. But for a quick change, like you are describing - this will fit that bill.

"Sound Transpose" is like NOTE SHIFT in the MODX... it changes only the local tone engine
"Menu" > "General" > "Keyboard/Pedal" is where you will find the Octave and Transpose that is global

Thanks for the question...

Posted : 26/04/2019 11:40 pm

Thank you for this hint. It really helps me a lot.

Definitely great that it is even possible to transpose via Midi. I'm just a little disappointed that this feature was hidden in the menu. In my opinion, it is a function that requires direct access on a master keyboard.

Consider: was it not YAMAHA that finally made it possible to transpose on the fly about 20 years ago with the P100, P150, P300? Here you have pressed Transpose and then on the keyboard the corresponding key, z. Eg F#4. Even Korg did it with the SV1. And in both cases, this also affects Midi-Out.

And now, because it's a live piano and all the functions in direct access - optimized for live musicians - should not that be possible anymore?

Some time ago I had a NORD Electro to play. There is a Transpose button. But you have to press SHIFT-TRANSPOSE (with 2 fingers) and then adjust with the other hand -6 / + 6. This is not really "live" for me.

Maybe YAMAHA can do some work on the OS of the CP73 / CP88. After all, the OS is currently still being developed. Transpose is really an important feature for many people. It would be great, if you could define in the settings whether Transpose (on the panel) works internally, externally or for both.

Correcting the color of the chorus or the reverb live is usually a minor concern for me...

Posted : 22/07/2019 2:19 pm

@BadMister:

There maybe some shortcuts that I’m not recalling (the air is thin up here)...

The ability to use shortcuts has already made me very curious. If it were possible to address the Global Transpose function via a keyboard shortcut on the panel, that would be my preferred solution. Can you possibly say something more about that?

Posted : 24/07/2019 3:48 pm
Bad Mister

@Tobias,
I don’t want to trivialize your request but reading through it, I kind of get the feeling nothing will satisfy you. If two fingers, and the other hand are necessary (as you described) and you find that “not live” enough for you, I have to ask, Really? What would be?

Are you saying you need to be playing with your other hand during this operation?
Do you play in a band? Ask the guitar player about using a Capo, (their equivalent) ask them if they can do it with one hand while continuing to play. Watch them chuckle, prepare your instrument before you begin - if it takes one finger, both hands and two feet, prepare to play before you begin. You’ll find your audience will wait (in most cases).

Perhaps your expectations are just a little bit over the top.

While transpose is a function requested by many... as you can see by reading through this thread there are three methods to do this, one locally (Sound Transpose), one that is global which effects both internal and Out via MIDI, and the Master Keyboard function for pre-setting your requirements for up to 4 external devices). Each has a reason to exist...

I’m not at all sure that very many folks are as concerned about your definition of “live” access. I could be wrong.
It wasn’t right for the original poster — who finds editing and storing a setup for each song, way too much of a chore. We all have different requirements and what we think is too much effort. And we all have things that we want a ‘magic’ button for...

Extra Credit:
I always tackle a problem by identifying the absolute “best solution” (the one that is at the root cause of the request) then work back through the next best solution... and so on
Best solution - eliminate the problem by learning to play in every key. (Has to be mentioned because it is the “absolute best solution” and is at the root cause of the request).
Next best solution - have a pre-Set program that offsets the options you require (internally/externally) so one button solves the issue - simply recall the setup. If internal, so much the better...
Alternate gear solution - look to an external device that can address your rig and facilitates (esoteric) requests like a one touch setting, with one finger. You may find a solution in an app or utility that can be connected to your instrument, and program it to make immediate adjustments as you require.
Manual solution — confidentially know where to go to make the change necessary. (Don’t overlook this as a solution... when you don’t know where to look, it’s an issue; however, when you know where it is, amazingly it stops being as big an issue.

I’ve helped everyone from local bar musicians to top touring acts, solve these “no brown M&Ms” Type requests on their keyboard rigs - there is usually a way to make them comfortable (it is just sometimes what we think *everybody* could use, could be a thing that really only we require). Sometimes it requires additional (external) gear. There maybe no perfect solution, but at the end of the day, a solution that works is all that is required.

If one-finger is all you want to expend to make this key change... connect your iOS (iPhone/iPad) to the CP running the Soundmondo... using the Capture/Set List feature have your favorite sound on the screen 12 times - each named for the Transpose it represents. Tap the icon for the Key you need —> Play!

Tip: if on an iPhone don’t forget Airplane Mode! (The first time your phone rings while connected to your Sound System is always good for a laugh and serves as a LOUD reminder)...

Posted : 25/07/2019 2:11 pm

@Bad Mister

Thank you for your detailed comment. You made a lot of effort (wow!), but that really would not have been necessary.

Thanks also for the Extra Credit and the great comment on the generation iPhone. Rarely laughed like that, but I'm 30 years old for that. In the end, it was all about letting your frustration run free. Yes, let it out.

I only asked a couple of CP questions after working with keyboards from other manufacturers for 20 years. No reason to treat me that way.

The only thing I wanted to say with my comments is that there would be an easy way to transpose (just when you're developing a new stage piano). Exactly as it was realized for the split point on the CP73 / 88: press the split key, press the key on the keyboard, done. So it could work for Transpose as well.

All I have also suggested is that the midi key is optionally sent to the external device and that you do not have to additionally set and dive into submenus. And be sure, I know now the 3 possibilities with Transpose at the CP.

The Transpose question will surely be asked again and again. But certainly not because people are too stupid, not professional enough.

If there is another channel for questions about my new YAMAHA product, I will find one. Hopefully there will not be frustrated guys around like you are.

Posted : 28/07/2019 7:16 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us