Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Update questions

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I was wondering what USB drives you use that actually work. I bought a Sandisk Ultra Flair that was on the list of approved devices, and the keyboard won't even recognize a USB device is plugged in. Was also wondering if I have to do every update or if I could go straight from V1.1 to V1.4.

Posted : 09/10/2020 9:39 pm
Bad Mister

The size maybe an issue — I use 8GB USB sticks without issue.

The most recent updater will always bring you completely up-to-date. The New Feature Supplementary Manual, will typically include all the new features since the original release version.

Posted : 10/10/2020 2:52 am
Topic starter

Thanks! Yea, this was a 16GB, and I ordered a Kingston 16GB today, so hopefully it will work. If not I guess I'll have to try and get a 8GB one. And I assumed I could go straight to v1.4 but just wanted to make sure.

Posted : 10/10/2020 3:08 am
 Ron
Eminent Member

I had the same issue Benjamin. I bought a 64GB onn. brand and it wouldn't recognize it. Thankfully, my wife had a 16GB Lexar and it works just fine.

Posted : 10/10/2020 4:11 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm surprised the compatibility list would include a USB stick you have to fiddle with to get it to work. That said - I know Sandsisk likes to add partitions to their USB sticks for placing various utilities on. In order to clear these out, you'd have to completely wipe the USB stick - partitions and all. How to do this depends on your computer type and OS. There are utilities out there to help.

That Sandisk stick seems to have some bad reviews on how hot it gets. Some have seen failures quickly with the stick. Probably an issue if you leave it plugged in "24/7". It is a USB3.0 stick - so that may be a contributing factor to the heat. Design of the enclosure may come into play. Who knows.

I always get the smallest size USB2.0 stick I can find for transferring data. This is because I don't see any benefit using USB3.0 - and using something slower has its place - particularly if there's not an impact on productivity. Incidentally, I also tend to stay away from Sandisk for keyboards since using more "generic" sticks means I don't have to clear partitions - since the ones I use just have a single partition of the proper filesystem.

The story of USB2 vs USB3 may change as time goes on. When more keyboards show speed improvements when using USB3.x

Posted : 11/10/2020 5:37 am
Topic starter

Thanks. Luckily the Kingston one I got worked fine. And yea, I definitely noticed that Sandisk one heating up when I had it plugged into my laptop.

Posted : 11/10/2020 8:45 pm
 ML

Here's a note of caution: the SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash drive (SDCZ430-032G-G46), currently listed as supported DOES NOT WORK. It is not recognized.

Thanks for the tips here to find a smaller drive, preferably USB 2.0. I can't help but notice that just about every model USB on their list is at least 16GB capacity, and the smaller capacities are DISCONTINUED.

How hard would it be for Yamaha to include a 2 or 4GB USB that actually works so one can do upgrades and file backup/restores? Put your brand on it and it's free advertising, not to mention generates good will. Big corps are so miserly.

At this point, my new CP73 is stuck at OS 1.10 until I can figure this out.

Posted : 07/03/2021 5:17 pm
 ML

I was able to obtain a 10 year old SanDisk Cruzer 4GB which worked just fine. Thank goodness for people who save everything!

Problem solved.

Posted : 08/03/2021 3:46 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us