Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

USB starting level per slot.

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

It would be great if each Live slot could store a starting value for USB volume. In my setup, I have to use one of the foot controllers to vary USB audio volume from Cantable or Kontakt, but if I don’t remember to push the control fully before I switch to a new program, it is possible for the volume to be zero. This is creating some possible gotchas in live performance.

Posted : 12/03/2020 9:26 pm
Bad Mister

The USB VOLUME does not return via the individual Live Set. It is a Return that goes directly to the Main L&R Output. The CP can be used as an audio interface — meaning all computer audio will return to the CP before going to the speakers. The USB VOLUME is the computer audio output returning to the CP acting as interface. A look at the signal flow chart will make this clear.

The USB VOLUME setting should be ‘set and forget’, typically set to 127 and use the individual Zone volumes as your per Live Set memorized settings. This means instead you’ll use MIDI Channel Volume (cc7) per Master Keyboard Zone to set the individual Volumes of the external sounds you are controlling. You can set and control four separate Volumes, one per Zone. These volumes are meant to be stored and recalled with each Live Set.

Not sure of your complete configuration, but if you want to memorize and control individual Volumes per Live Set, do so per CP Master Keyboard Zone

Posted : 13/03/2020 1:57 am
Topic starter

I need real time control of the total USB volume for some songs in my sets. For these songs, I assign FC2 to control the total volume of the sounds coming from a multichannel Kontakt program through USB. The individual MIDI channel CC7 volumes are being set in advance mode in the master keyboard zone. Typically, there are three or four channels of sounds being controlled. I cannot preserve the blend of the mix of these multi channel sounds by using CC7 across all the channels using a FC, so I need to use FC2 set to USB Volume to control the entire sound in these songs. This would work if I could get away with using FC2 to control USB level all the time, as when FC2 is used for USB volume, the live program defaults the USB volume to 64. The issue is that in other songs in the live set, I am not using FC2 as USB volume, and it remains set to the last value it saw in the previous song (which could be zero). What I am asking for is an OS change that resets the USB volume value to whatever is set in the master settings whenever the live program number changes, so that the function of controlling USB audio volume by FC (already in the OS) is of greater practical use.

Posted : 13/03/2020 12:51 pm
Bad Mister

The CP when acting, as an audio interface, will not allow you to control the USB VOLUME within the currently active Live Set — sorry , but that is not how it works. And by “it” here I’m referring to audio. Much like the analog master volume knob setting, the digital USB Volume setting is outside the influence of the Live Set.

It’s like saying you plugged into your sound system (please, get something better than an old bass amp and only the L channel) and tried to control the old bass amp’s front panel volume in your CP’s Live Set program. You can’t... because of the signal routing... the old bass amp’s volume control is post (after) the point you have control.

Audio traveling through the USB VOLUME pot never enters the CP engine, it goes directly to the D-to-A converter and then Out the Outputs. If the CP’s audio interface was a separate box, you would probably *see it* more clearly...

Electrons travel through the wiring following a specific signal path...

Your solution, and there is one, requires you control the volumes of your computer generated signals using cc7 or cc11 which gives you control over the external device’s volume pre (before) the sound leaves the computer.
CC7 (main channel volume) forces all controlled devices to the same volume value.
CC11 (musical expression) allows each controlled volume on the channel to remain in proportion to the other items also being controlled. This would allow you to fade them up or down while the proportional levels are maintained.

In order to control multiple devices simultaneously, you must transmit to them simultaneously.
CC11 resets to maximum (127) when you recall a Live Set. Set each controlled item to the specific volume to create the mix you desire, then cc11 can be used to control the proportionally balanced output.

Think of the USB VOLUME setting as the master volume for audio arriving at the audio interface from the computer on its way to the analog outputs.

Posted : 13/03/2020 4:06 pm
Topic starter

Can you explain to me then why control over the USB audio level by the foot controller was added in the last OS? It is indeed a programmable choice per live setup.

I am already controlling the return of Kontakt into the instrument this way. All I am asking is for a refinement in how it works.

I must suggest you don’t understand that realtime control of the USB audio level was added in the last OS and is the very last selection available as a foot controller destination.
Can we at least agree that the functionality is there...because I have been using in concert since NAMM.

Posted : 13/03/2020 8:21 pm
Bad Mister

USB Volume was added as a destination of the Mod lever, Foot Controller 1/2 in version 1.20
The issue, as I understand it, is you’d like to create a USB VOLUME Reset that works when you have failed to assign a controller? (Do I have that right?)

The issue is that in other songs in the live set, I am not using FC2 as USB volume, and it remains set to the last value it saw in the previous song (which could be zero). What I am asking for is an OS change that resets the USB volume value to whatever is set in the master settings whenever the live program number changes, so that the function of controlling USB audio volume by FC (already in the OS) is of greater practical use.

If you setup to control USB Volume with FC2 you should do so in all Live Sets that utilize the external devices (zones).
For those Live Sets that do not use the external device - does it matter whether the previous song left USB Volume at zero?

Posted : 13/03/2020 9:18 pm
Topic starter

Yes, what I would like is the value stored in the master USB setting to always be reset when a program is changed.

As to always having a controller assigned to USB audio volume-that would work, as the master usb level is always set to 64 when a controller is active.
Unfortunately, I sometimes need to use the available foot control assignments for other functions such as Leslie speed, or for layer volumes between internal sounds, while I still need some additional sounds from the Kontakt/USB audio input. If I forget before switching programs to set the FC changing the USB volume to a non-zero position, the audio from the USB/Kontakt can be muted.

Thanks for your patience. I feel now at least you might understand the potential performance issue I am running into.

I think the CPs are brilliant and have replaced my Korg Kronos system with the CP73 and a Surface tablet running Kontakt. It is a much lighter-more compact system and I always have at least the CP’s internal sounds available quickly, while with the Kronos a power blip could take down the instrument for 3-4 minutes as it reloaded all the sample data. I have successfully recreated all the performances for the two groups I tour with using a combo of the CP’s internal sounds and Kontakt library. With all the splits and layers available using the master keyboard functionality everything is working great in live performance with the exception of the fore mentioned gotcha. I have almost trained myself to work around it, but the USB volume reset would be a great safety net.

Posted : 14/03/2020 1:52 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us