Clear all

Vellocity issues with keyboard cp 73 ?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello
I am the new owner of a yamaha cp 73.
I am very happy with this keyboard except for the response of the keyboard to vellocity.
It is very difficult to obtain values ​​greater than 110 which is problematic especially with the acoustic piano sounds.
I tried all the vellocity curves: normal, soft hard wilde, only with the fixed curve set beyond 110 that I get there.
When I plug my Keylab 88 Arturia as an external controller with a midi cable I have access to all the velocity values, which makes the keyboard expression much more pleasant.
Is it a manufacturing default of my cp 73 or other persons encountered the same problem with these keyboards ?
Best François

Posted : 18/07/2020 2:34 pm
Bad Mister

You don’t say, but what are you using to measure the Velocity? Can you please describe how you are determining the Velocity value.

I tried all the vellocity curves: normal, soft hard wilde, only with the fixed curve set beyond 110 that I get there.

Just FYI, if you are having trouble reaching maximum Output you would use the “Soft” Curve. The Soft Curve is used when you have a light touch — it makes it easier to get louder. (The differences should be apparent to anyone playing the keyboard. Do you notice the difference in these settings?

In general, Velocity ranges from 0-127, with 127 being the equivalent to the hardest you would ever hit a piano to get a note-on event. It should require forearm and shoulder action — it should require effort.

Posted : 19/07/2020 8:42 am
Topic starter

hello Bad Mister

thank you for your reply

To calculate the velocity I proceeded in two ways:

1 ° by connecting my cp 73 to my Mac with the usb cable and using a utility called "midi monitor": https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
I played on my keyboard and the software tells me the note I am playing, the midi channel used, as well as the vellocity.

After I pushed the test a little more with the Ableton Live software

2 ° I connected the cp 73 with "curve soft" as a master keyboard in Ableton live as well my master keyboard Arturia Keylab 88 with a"normal curve"
I opened a track with a Kontakt piano and I recorded the same song afterwards (several times),
first with the Keylab 88 and then with the yamaha (see picture "capture velocity)
And there, I observed the amplitude of vellocity of the two keyboards.
The keylab 88 has an amplitude from 55 to 114
The cp 73 has an amplitude of 48 to 104
This observation is made in a musical context (playing a song)

With his observations, I opened an audio track in Ableton Live, I connected the cp 73 with this time audio cables.
Then I selected the cfx piano sound in cp 73
I went to: menu: General: Keyboard / pedal: Fixed vellocity
and I recorded notes (E3) with different velocities (127, 120, 115, 110, 105, 100) in order to hear the timbre of the piano sounds obtained with these velocities

And there that confirmed the feelings that I have while playing on the cp 73, especially with the acoustic piano sounds: namely a lack of timbre and attack
and then a lack, of character since it is difficult to reach vellocities higher than 110.

The difference in timbre and attack of the piano sound between the values ​​105 and 115 is great, and it is shameful to have to hit hard to reach theses vellocities
So playing the piano's sounds of the cp 73, you get the impression that the instrument is flanged….

Effectively reaching vellocities of 127 is not what is most sought after, however not to reach 110 to 115 removes a lot of expressiveness

Other than that, I love this keyboard, its intuitive feel, its electric piano sounds, and its ease of creating your own sounds,and its weight!

Maybe a new vellocity curve in a future update will fix this default.

I have attached to this message the image and sound capture of the test

Best
François

ps sorry fo rmy english (google traduction)....

Attached files

cp 73 test.zip (1.7 MB) 

Posted : 19/07/2020 4:41 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us