Actions GHS GHE GH3 natural Wood

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Luigi Maria
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi,
I own a Yamaha P-35 for simple gigs and to control my moxf6 for more complex gigs.
I like it for its built in speaker for playing at weddings and other simple contexts.
Now I am unsitysfied with its GHS action and I'd like to buy a new digital piano.
I've tried a Kawai MP7 but i was unsatisfied too (and it was too heavy).
It's better to come back to my favourite brand of all my life: YAMAHA!
But before spend money I'd like to see clearly informations about actions.
Sometime in the specifications Yamaha only write "Graded hammer" without explain the differences between the three different kinds of GH.
On these page I've found more info:
Yamaha actions
(despite I don't agree with the sentence: "GHS is piano teachers recommend for building proper technique" I am a teacher and I believe that learning to play on that action is like learning playing football with a plastic ball).
But still these information aren't complete for me.
I'd like to know: has the p255 the top quality action with built in speakers?
Which action is mounted on CP33?
Which on Motif XF 8?
Thank you

Posted : 23/12/2015 10:03 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Luigi Maria,

Action and feel is all very personal. In general, the more it costs the better the action - (you get what you pay for) - but if you want to "over think" it... Here are some details that will help:

GHS is the entry into Graded Hammer actions that use actual weighting of the keys. "S" for standard. And this action is recommended by teachers over a synth key action as found on your typical spring action synthesizer. (Obviously, not by every teacher! But every teacher would insist , even you, on a weighted action versus a non-weighted action, and that is the point, n'est pas?) this action is found on the DGX650, the P-series pianos, (the P255 is GHS w/synthetic ivory key tops.

GHE is next up the line Graded Hammer Effect... Found on mid-priced instruments like the discontinued CP33, and on the current CP300

GH3 is next up the line and is a triple-sensor Graded Hammer action that comes even closer to a true piano action. A key does not have to fully return for you to retrigger the key. It is very, very, very difficult to out speed this triple sensor action. It is most like a concert grand... Where others are more like an upright action.

The CP4 Stage features a GH3 NW - Graded Hammer, triple sensor, Natural Wood white keys... With synthetic ivory key tops

Obviously, you pay more for the best actions. That's why they are found on the more expensive instruments. Naturally, I feel silly saying it. You already know this. The bottom line is, you still need to play these! BEFORE you decide... just because an action is more expensive does not mean you, as an individual, will like it. It's the same with the Velocity Curve settings... Not everyone likes the "normal" setting... It is called normal because 'most' players find this comfortable.

If you are heavy-handed, there is nothing wrong with being heavy handed as long as you know that you are, and you adjust the instrument to your playing style. If you never ever break a finger nail because you have a light touch, similarly, there is nothing wrong here either - as long as you know you have a light touch and adjust your Yamaha keyboard to your playing preference.

What makes us at Yamaha crazy is if you judge too quickly any of the actions without adjusting them to your personal playing style!!! The amount of research that goes into these actions is tremendous... I seen what spins they go through to build, test, and create these actions... It is at the heart of what the company does. A word on specs... They are like reading about how comfortable a pair of shoes is... In the end... You have to wear/play them yourself

The Motif XF8 does not feature a Graded Hammer action at all, and therefore is not in this discussion.

I hope that helps.

Posted : 23/12/2015 11:36 pm
Trusted Member

Hi Luigi Maria,

I just like to add a short correction of the last reply above.
The P255 does not feature the entry level GHS action but the better GH action.
This action really feels great and to me its some kind of THE Yamaha action.
Have you tried the P255 yet? It´s a little heavier than your P-45 but I think you will like it.

Merry Christmas!

Posted : 24/12/2015 5:59 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us