CP4 distortion?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Ruud
Topic starter

Hello.
I recently bought a Yamaha CP4.
The first impression was that the acoustic pianos sounded good, however this morning a well known musician was here and he mentioned that he could hear 'distortion'.
I checked this later and noticed that when you depress a key and hold it down, a sort of 'cyclic modulation' close to distorion could be heard during the decay.
I disconnected the powered speakers and listened through a pair of headphones, directly connected to the CP4, and this gave the same result.
It is the same 'distortion' you get when holding the sustain pedal 'half way down'.
Is this 'normal', or is there something wrong with my CP4?
(I am using the acoustic pianos in the standard settings, reverb is off.)

Posted : 24/10/2015 3:19 pm
Bad Mister

The CP4 Stage have no speakers... I mention this to remind you that distortion is or can be the result of improper gain staging. The CP4 Stage without a sound system makes no sound at all. So it would be impossible to tell you anything about what you or your friend are hearing. I highly recommend you call Customer Support and speak with someone who can instruct you in how to know if your instrument is doing anything unusual.

Posted : 24/10/2015 7:51 pm
 Ruud
Topic starter

It is obvious that the CP4 has no internal speakers... :p
That is the reason that I have a pair of active speakers connected to the CP4.
Normally there is no distortion whatsoever.
Only during the decay of a tone (low audio level) a form of distortion can be heard.
To check this, I have connected a pair of headphones directly to the headphone output of the CP4.
This gave exactly the same result.
The 'distortion' is independent from the level setting.

Posted : 24/10/2015 8:08 pm
Bad Mister

It is still impossible for anyone to diagnose what you are hearing by printing a description. Sorry. You should take it back to your dealer if you are concerned or again, call Customer Support. If you are asking did Yamaha release a keyboard that normally distorts (I will just not take that as a serious question) - please see your authorized Yamaha dealer or service center.

Posted : 24/10/2015 8:18 pm
 Wes

Any chance you are hearing damper resonance? It sure sounds like it to me. Disable effect A and effect B and repeat your test.

Posted : 02/11/2015 3:18 pm
Bad Mister

Good point Wes, they may be describing a sound they are not familiar with as distortion - when it is not distortion at all, but Damper Resonance (which, of course, is biased to the sustain pedal).

Posted : 02/11/2015 8:48 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us