Getting Ravenscroft 275 (a VST) set up using my laptop and CP

30 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Jason
Illustrious Member

My UVI Workstation (PC/Windows):

After clicking on "File" then "Audio and MIDI Settings .."

I don't have any plugins - I just downloaded the UVI Workstation from the support link.

Something isn't agreeing. Even though I don't have the same keyboard - the drivers are similar and present themselves (or should) to the software similarly.

Posted : 26/05/2022 11:08 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

... when I hit the Windows key and scroll down to the "Y" section in the list of programs, there's a "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver" folder. Under the folder is an icon "Control Panel" with a red USB symbol. I click on this then go to the "About" tab. It shows my Windows PC - because I haven't updated it in a while having switched to macOS recently - is running "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V2.0.4". Ignore the version I have - it's meaningless. However, take a snapshot of the both the "ASIO" and "About" tabs of this driver control panel. It will show version and also your connected keyboard device. That's a first step. Getting the driver side happy.

The latest driver (as of today) is available here for the USA:

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver_for_win.html

The version is newer than the one I have -- which is good (currently v2.1.1 is the latest driver).

You can navigate to this driver download by going to yamaha.com's CP73 download page.

Posted : 26/05/2022 11:24 pm
 paul
Topic starter

Jason, I downloaded the Steinberg driver from Yamaha.com 2 days ago and my laptop confirms it's there. I'll post the screen shots momentarily.

Posted : 27/05/2022 12:17 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Windows 10 version here is 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1110) as reported by Win+R then "winver".

Posted : 27/05/2022 1:01 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

... normal "did you plug it in" type stuff - apologies in advance if it's way behind you.

USB MIDI should be on.

Set the MIDI port of this instrument.
[MENU] button → “General” → “MIDI Settings” → “MIDI Port” → “USB” → “On.

Precautions when using the USB [TO HOST] terminal

When connecting the computer to the USB [TO HOST] terminal, make sure to observe the following points. Failing to do so risks freezing the computer and corrupting or losing the data. If the computer or the instrument freezes, restart the application software or the computer OS, or turn the power to the instrument off and then on again.

NOTICE
• Use an AB type USB cable. Do not use a USB 3.0 cable.
• Before connecting the computer to the USB [TO HOST] terminal, exit from any power-saving mode of the computer (such as suspend, sleep, standby).
• Before turning on the power to the instrument, connect the computer to the USB [TO HOST] terminal.
• Execute the following before turning the power to the instrument on/off or plugging/unplugging the USB cable to/from the USB [TO HOST] terminal.
.. - Quit any open application software on the computer.
.. - Make sure that data is not being transmitted from the instrument. (Note that even playing a key causes data to be sent.)
• When making computer connections, make sure that at least six seconds elapses between the time you turn this instrument on/off and you connect/disconnect the USB cable.

Posted : 27/05/2022 1:21 am
 paul
Topic starter

I have Win 10 V21 H2
From where are you seeing/doing ... " Set the MIDI port of this instrument.
[MENU] button → “General” → “MIDI Settings” → “MIDI Port” → “USB” → “On. "

Posted : 27/05/2022 1:34 am
 paul
Topic starter

Bill, I already got those instructions from Yamaha tech support - however, they omitted telling me to go to the Menu. USB is On, now. So I turned off and unplugged everything. And re-booted the laptop after plugging in the USB cord at both ends / turning on the piano / powering up the laptop / opening UVI.

Still, the same data is missing in UVI which I outlined, above. Incidentally, it seems that right-clicking to get a screen shot is impossible. The laptop is new but I went to several google pages to try it. No go.

And, all the requirements and order of steps for safe operation were followed... page 27. Except I don't know if I have the AB type USB cable. I'll go back to Amazon to check out that order. SHIT its a 3.0 USB cord. OFF TO STAPLES FOR THE RIGHT USB CORD BACK IN 60 MINUTES.

Posted : 27/05/2022 2:38 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

FYI: I see the Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO driver option even without any keyboard connected. The screenshot didn't have any devices connected - the UVI Workstation (plugin host) showed these driver options without any hardware plugged in.

The order of install was I already had the driver installed before installing UVI Workstation. It shouldn't matter, but that's just how setup fell here.

Posted : 27/05/2022 2:59 am
 paul
Topic starter

While I await my wife's arrival for Staples... will AB style USB's fit into the USB terminals I have on the laptop, which obviously fit the 3.0 cord.

Jason, the Steinberg shows in UVI but when selected it says its not available.... says "Error trying to operate the audio device".

Posted : 27/05/2022 3:10 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like the SW setup is OK - likely a basic connectivity issue.

These are the in-store Staples options here:

NX29748
NX29749
NX29931
NX29930
NX29929

Posted : 27/05/2022 3:29 am
 paul
Topic starter

Hooking up, again... new cord And.. we're up! The data is there including the Steinberg.

Well, not perfect.. couple Q's left: I'll prt scrn -- Thanx, Bill for the Staples cord detail. Oops, Jason. Thanx for the help in other, naturally.

Posted : 27/05/2022 3:52 am
 paul
Topic starter

SCRN SHOT

Attached files

Posted : 27/05/2022 4:15 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Looks good. FYI - the "CP88/CP73-1" is USB port 1 and "CP88/CP73-2" is USB port 2.

USB Port 1 routes to the tone generator and piano keys/controls. USB Port 2 routes to the 5-pin MIDI DIN port as a "MIDI THRU" to externally connected gear.

How these are routed (or switched off) depends on settings. The summary is in the following diagram:

Posted : 27/05/2022 1:28 pm
 paul
Topic starter

Noted. The ports do different things.

Anyone have experience using Ravencroft 275? My next dilemma. Ha. I hv no idea what to do next. All its features are words I don't know what they mean. Wait. I don't think there is a Ravenscroft manual - they use the UVI manual instead. Right? Looks like Main View, p 8 is the start point? If my history means anything I'll be using exactly 1% of this stuff. PianoGroove.com may have help there....

And THANK YOU guys for helping. I'd be dead without you.

Posted : 27/05/2022 3:37 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

There's enough youtube videos with people using the plugin telling you what the main features are. The "top 10" list of things you'd want to experiment with. One such link was given already - but there are more. Lots of times under the category of a review.

Posted : 27/05/2022 7:11 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us