Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How to I set up an FC7 pedal to control pitch bend?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Sorry, I just can't figure this out. I have a performance with Brs:01: BrassSect4 as the main and I'd like to control pitch bend with an FC7 plugged into FC1. Can someone please tell me how to do this. I'm struggling. Thanks.

Posted : 18/08/2015 12:59 am
Bad Mister

Sorry, Pitch Bend is a special MIDI Channel message, and has a dedicated controller (the Pitch Bend Wheel) to send its message (En) where "E" is pitch bend and "n" is the channel. Values run from -8192 ~ 0 ~ +8191. Significantly, that is plus-and-minus a spring-loaded center location +0000... making it ideal for bending and returning to the exact nominal pitch!

Foot Controller 1 can be assigned to any Control Change number 001-095 (except 032); CONTROL CHANGE (cc) messages (Bn) where "B" is the Control Change message and "n" is the channel. Values run from 000-127. (Not ideal: It has no center location to return to nominal pitch - you'd have to opt to do it manually or just send messages in one direction, up or down).

Control Change messages can be used to vary certain select parameters, and works best on those parameters whose values travel from minimum (0) through to maximum (127)... As these are the values the it generates.

PB is never a re-assignable parameter (by design, it has a dedicated high resolution, self-centering, controller). It usually has a higher resolution than all other parameters, thus the 16,384 steps from minimum to maximum - the actual distance these values bend the pitch depends on your selection/setting within the receiving device (Part). So whether the value +8191 = a whole step (200cent) or two octaves (2400cent) will depend on the setting in the receiving tone engine.

In some synthesizers you might be able to control "Coarse Tune" but while this accomplishes the goal of dynamically changing the pitch, it is only in one direction, and it is quite different from PB, which is its own category of message. This doesn't matter because "Coarse Tune" is not an available assignable parameter in the CP4 Stage. Sorry.

Posted : 18/08/2015 2:20 am
Topic starter

Thanks for the informative answer. I'll stick to the PB Wheel.

Posted : 18/08/2015 4:50 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us