Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

I Need an advice on how to choose a good speaker system

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Help please to find out which speaker systems are great for CP4 or S90 XS for a good sound quality that wont make me think that these keyboards give bad sound

Posted : 27/05/2015 9:16 am
Topic starter

for home with a small room

Posted : 27/05/2015 12:14 pm
Bad Mister

Thank you for defining the size! 🙂

We highly recommend a pair of quality studio monitors. These are different from speakers sold to the average consumer - studio monitors are designed and built to be used for critical listening. Recording engineers in professional recording studios need to have accurate speakers that do not hype the sound (like consumer speakers). Accuracy means you can believe what you hear, you can trust that when your monitors say you have too much high frequency or not enough bass, this is in fact the case.

If you purchase speakers that "hype" the sound you can never be sure what it will sound like in the real world. Yes, Studio Monitors are slightly more expensive than your consumer stuff, but you get what you pay for. And while studio monitors are priced on an open ended scale (up to astronomical prices) you can get a descent pair of speakers without breaking the bank.

Currently at Yamaha we have two series of Studio Monitors available. These are powered monitors - power amps built-in. Good monitors have separate power amps for the tweeters and woofers.

The Yamaha HS-series (Home Studio) and the MSP Studio-series (Monitor Speaker Professional Studio)
You can find out about them via the link below. In general they come in different sizes (typically named by the woofer size):

Yamaha Music Production Speaker Line-up

The legendary Yamaha NS10M speakers were known for their high accuracy at a price that never broke the bank, found in every famous recording studio on the planet.. They were developed to deliver in-phase signal at the listening sweet-spot. These are all what are called "near-field" monitors- optimized for the listener sitting in an equilateral triangle between the monitors. The same engineer developed the MSP and HS series for Yamaha.

I personally have a pair of MSP7 Studios that I cannot live without, period!

Posted : 27/05/2015 1:17 pm

I recently added a pair of used HS50M for studio monitor. Very good sound quality. When I have a gig I always carry my stagepas500 with me. No keyboard monitor, no. These are all mono and you definitely need stereo to get out of the cp4 what is in it. Stagepas is perfect for that.

Posted : 28/05/2015 9:45 am
Topic starter

Thank you for your experience

Hmm, that is an interesting fact that ,monitor systems are mono. I looked some of your advices in internet. To be true, for the current moment the prices of these monitors are hard for me.

I have not found NS10M in my region internet shops.
I Found:
1) "YAMAHA MSP5 STUDIO" = Medium Yet Affordable Price
2) "YAMAHA MSP7 STUDIO" = Expensive Not Affordable Price
3) "YAMAHA HS8" = Medium Yet Affordable Price
4) "YAMAHA HS7" = Cheap Affordable Price
5) "YAMAHA HS5" = Cheapest Affordable Price

Questions:
1) To be true I was confused - there on the pictures are sometimes 2 speakers - but as I understand they are sold separately and I have to multiply by 2 if I want stereo.

2) Is it possible to connect them as stereo to CP4? Is it easy? If you could give some explanation on it.

3) CP4 has such outputs - which are better to use in this case especially if I want stereo:
-A) Line Out:
--UNBALANCED [L/MONO] and [R] OUTPUT jacks (standard mono-phone),
--BALANCED [L] and [R] XLR OUTPUT jacks

-B) Headphones: [PHONES] jack (stereo-phone)

4) One more confusing moment is that each of them will need a power cable to be connected (2 speakers = two power sockets is it normal? or I do not understand something?).

5) Should I connect them to Yamaha CP4 stage piano directly? Or I have to use some kind of amplifier? (Mono/Stereo) I am afraid to burn something.

Posted : 31/05/2015 2:24 pm
Bad Mister

Questions:
1) To be true I was confused - there on the pictures are sometimes 2 speakers - but as I understand they are sold separately and I have to multiply by 2 if I want stereo.

Yes, they are sold individually because while very few people buy just one (most people buy a pair) but these Monitors can be configured in what are called Surround Sound systems. 3.1, 4.1, 5.1 etc... Movies are often done in 12.1 systems... A three point one Surround system would include a Left-Center-Right plus one subWoofer. Four point one would Left front-Right front, Left rear-Right rear plus SubWoofer... And so on...

Typically you only need one subWoofer... Bass (low frequencies) are notoriously mono in nature. They are non-directional and tend to travel everywhere.

2) Is it possible to connect them as stereo to CP4? Is it easy? If you could give some explanation on it.

Purchase two. Connect the Left output to one, the Right output to the other.

CP4 has such outputs - which are better to use in this case especially if I want stereo:
-A) Line Out:
--UNBALANCED [L/MONO] and [R] OUTPUT jacks (standard mono-phone),
--BALANCED [L] and [R] XLR OUTPUT jacks

B) Headphones: [PHONES] jack (stereo-phone)

All deliver Stereo. Connect the Unbalanced outputs or the Balanced outputs to your speakers. Connect only headphones to the Phones output.
Unbalanced use regular signal cable. TS or Tip-Sleeve cable
Balanced use three pin XLR connection.
The difference is distance and both are provided for convenience/flexibility

4) One more confusing moment is that each of them will need a power cable to be connected (2 speakers = two power sockets is it normal? or I do not understand something?)

These are powered monitors... Means the power amps are built-in. Each comes with the appropriate power cable to plug them in for the region of the world the speakers are sold.

5) Should I connect them to Yamaha CP4 stage piano directly? Or I have to use some kind of amplifier? (Mono/Stereo) I am afraid to burn something

The amplifiers are built-in. Burn what. Where do you live?
Electricity is fairly safe... Been used in homes for over a century now... 🙂

By the way, the legendary NS10M speakers were passive speakers (no power amp built-in) and date back to last century. They are now collectors items. Those who are lucky enough to own a pair, are not giving them up!!! They were not very expensive in their day, but are now truly priceless!!!!

Posted : 31/05/2015 2:42 pm
Topic starter

About burning:
I once got a TV and was trying to connect it to the computer video card and it worked but I do not know what I did because I was trying a lot with it, and something went wrong, and picture began running from down upwards. I already tried many tries to fix it but probably something crashed in it. As you said that headphone jack is only for headphones - so if I or some dumb person without my supervision connects a speaker to the headphone jack, something can crash?
(I live in Estonia)

Some of my next important and breaking the peace of my mind questions 🙂 :
1) =START= I think I understood this first question myself =============================================
"Typically you only need one subWoofer... Bass (low frequencies) are notoriously mono in nature. They are non-directional and tend to travel everywhere."

Only a subwoofer? you were writing about CP4? I mean that there are high frequencies also in piano sounds, I probably missed something.
=END= I think I understood this first question myself in further discussion ===============================

2) By the way, I found that Yamaha HS8 provides speakers and a separate HS8 subwoofer... There are only 2 XLR outputs on CP4. One for left and one for the right. Ok, so I can not use speakers and the subwoofer together?

And one weird thought has sliced into my mind: will it work if I connect two speakers to XLR outputs and also a subwoofer to L/Mono jack? Or these outputs work only separately and I have to use only one line of outputs?

If yes: I probably can connect any other amplified subwoofer in such way? for example in this combination: 2 x HS5 and 1 x NS-SW300

3) I found out that on the subwoofer there are also R/L inputs and outputs for speakers. Means I do not need to invent something. But how do you think can a sub make output sound worse then originally from CP4? (through phone jacks in sub and speakers without XLR) I see that in such way probably HS8 sub would be much better. but the overal total is unfortunately very expensive...

Posted : 31/05/2015 5:31 pm
Topic starter

Valentijn wrote:

I recently added a pair of used HS50M for studio monitor. Very good sound quality. When I have a gig I always carry my stagepas500 with me. No keyboard monitor, no. These are all mono and you definitely need stereo to get out of the cp4 what is in it. Stagepas is perfect for that.

Thank you about these two variants probably HS and MSP5 series are more attractive for me

Posted : 31/05/2015 5:33 pm
Topic starter

running forward

would it be a good combination:

1. CP4 (XLR 'R/L' output) =>
=> [2 XLR cables R/L] =>
2. (XLR 'R/L' input) HS8 subwoofer (XLR 'R/L' output) =>
=> [2 XLR cables 'R/L'] =>
3. (XLR inputs) of 2 x HS5 speakers OR 2x MSP5 Studio monitors

Posted : 31/05/2015 5:57 pm
Bad Mister

You can always download Yamaha product manuals from the (free) Official Yamaha download site... This will help answer all your concerns about setup.
http://download.yamaha.com

You do not need a SubWoofer in all situations... Unless you are mixing EDM, or Reggae music or are using your system for gaming and need that extra thump for war game explosions, etc. If you are considering the HS8 then I suggest you try first without a SubWoofer... You can always add one later. You only need one SubWoofer in a system - it has inputs for Left and Right from your source, and outputs for Left and Right to the main Monitors.

A SubWoofer will have a Left and Right input and outputs for the main left-right speakers (see graphic below from the Owner's Manual).

I believe you will find the 8" speaker of the HS8 gives enough low end for most situations, especially if your goal is for playing piano. A subWoofer on a piano will sound somewhat unnatural and, dare I say, unnecessary. (But you be the judge).

Posted : 31/05/2015 10:57 pm
Topic starter

Thank you, you were of great support I have a small room and I think the best choice will be 2 x MSP5 studio monitors without sub.

Posted : 01/06/2015 6:50 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us