Notifications
Clear all

No Insertion Effects for Split Voice?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Larryo
Topic starter

If insertion Effects are such an important part of Piano, EP Voices, etc, is it a good idea that they can't be used on the split voice?
(Unless I'm missing something!)
Piano in the left hand and some other sound in the right is a pretty common scenario. I can't be the only one who wants to comp in my left hand and play a string line in my right.
The "Split" is really "Left Hand Bass", not much more.
It would have also been nice to be able to limit the notes of "Layer" in order to have a layered sound that doesn't have to cover the entire keyboard.
Like a pad that is not in the lower half of the keyboard, or a bass that doubles the piano only in the lower range.
The only work around I can think of is local off, and use something like MainStage to accomplish these simple tasks.
Any other ideas would be most welcome!
Larry

Posted : 15/03/2016 7:46 pm
Bad Mister

If insertion Effects are such an important part of Piano, EP Voices, etc, is it a good idea that they can't be used on the split voice?
(Unless I'm missing something!

Fortunately, you are missing something. We are not really sure how you are addressing the instrument.

Each PART (in the CP4 Stage there are 3) but each Part can have its own Insert Effects (2).

The Split Part is called that because it is separate from the others, as in an Upper/Lower situation
The Layer Part is called that because it is layered across the same region as the MAIN Part, be that above a "split point" or across the entire keyboard.

perhaps we can find what you are missing...

We get you want a Piano in the Left...to assign the CFX Grand, for example, to the SPLIT PART do the following:
Press [SPLIT] to light its LED
To select the Split Part for editing hold the [PART SELECT] + [SPLIT] button. The cursor will move to the S or Split Part
Select the acoustic Piano you want to use on the lower part of the keyboard

To select the the Main Part for editing touch [PART SELECT] + [MAIN]. The cursor will move to the M or Main Part
Select the Voice you want for above the split point.

To set the Insert Effects for the Main and the Split, simply press and hold the [INSERT A] button for two seconds to jump straight to the Insert Effect edit screen... Select or change the assigned Insert Effect type. The screen's far left corner will always tell you where you are and what you are editing.
Hold the [INSERT B] button for two seconds to take shortcut to this processor.

Use [PART SELECT] + [SPLIT] to edit its two Insertion Effects.

When you have edited thing to your satisfaction be sure to write your Performance to a location.

Posted : 16/03/2016 12:20 am
Lawrence

(Larryo):

Thanks Bad Mister!

I was looking at page 10 in reference manual, the diagram looks like SPLIT has no insert effects.

Yes I was using the SPLIT voice for the piano.

Yes, it LOOKS like the insert effects are there, they are editable, but try editing a parameter, like a drastic EQ boost on VCM EQ 501, or try putting a flanger on a piano,
and if you listen to it,
no effect.
This might confuse some users.
Coming from a Motif/S90XS background, it seems like a good idea for the insert effects to along with the voice as opposed to the Performance.

In Performance edit, as you listen to different Voices, they have the "default" Insertion effects settings until you change them or use the copy job.

It would be nice to have your own tweaks saved whenever you use that voice in another Performance. Especially as you are encouraged to do this on the fly.

To be fair, the CP4 is a PIANO, after all.

Turning the local off and using Apple MainStage to address the CP as a 3 part multi-timbral machine controlling itself works and gives you a few more possibilities like true High/Low Note Key Ranges, etc. But it's a shame to have to use a laptop just for that!

I do love the keybed, the weight, and that its roughly the same size as my 76 key S70XS with full 88 keys.
Something about it reminds me of my old CP70 (Age showing)
I know it's not 350lbs, 2 giant road cases plus it's own lids, 8 pieces of metal to make 4 legs, ONE SOUND, needs tuning...

...must be something else!

...thanks!...

Posted : 16/03/2016 10:26 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, we had to sit behind a CP4 Stage to experience what you are experiencing because, undoubtedly, you are experiencing this. As shown on page 10 only two selected Parts can recall their Insertion Effects at a time. Any two Parts can be activated to use their Insertion Effects, so it is not that you cannot have INSERT EFFECTS on the SPLIT PART, you definitely can; it is just not at the same moment they are active on both the MAIN and LAYER PART. The limit is any two Parts, simultaneously.

Can't say I've ever needed all three Parts with Insertion effects but I certainly have split the keyboard and have had access to Inserts on both sides of a split Performance, I guess I've never had both a Split (left) and a Main/Layer (right) simultaneously.

To navigate to "EFF A/B Switch" in question:
Press [EDIT]
Select "02: Part"
Select "01: Play Mode"
Cursor Up/Down to the screen with Chorus Send, Reverb Send and the EffA/B Switch
Use the shortcut [PART SELECT] + [SPLIT] / [LAYER] / [MAIN] buttons to view status of your Insert Effect A/B Switches per each Part... Any *two* Parts can be set to ON at one time.

The diagram does show the Main and Layer using their Insert Effects (because they are assuming, like I guess I did, the Split Part is used primarily for left hand bass - shame on me - can't believe I've never actually tried that until now!)

In the pink box, bottom left of page 10, it does mention "Insert Effects - Applied to up to two individual Parts in each Performance"
Sorry for the confusion, but you can use your drastic EQ and Flanger on the Split Part you'll simply need to deactivate the Switch in the edit area.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 18/03/2016 12:13 pm

You can only use insertion effects on on 2 parts. This is complicated on the CP4 which has a split part & a layer part.

Which parts are using insertion effects depends on these settings: EDIT > PART > PLAY MODE > EffA/BSw. These settings are stored with the performance.

On the default Performance 001, insertion effects are enabled for the MAIN and LAYER parts.

Posted : 21/05/2016 8:01 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us